Author Topic: best way to learn more about small electronics.  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Internetlad

best way to learn more about small electronics.
« on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 11:45:38 »
that is to say, short of taking a formal course on it. I'm looking for the projects, reference books or other ways that you guys know of that would help me get more into the DIY of small electronics. I've been into computers for a while now, but it's always been on the UI end of things. I'd like to get into messing with boards, soldering, how the circuitry works, and probably linux and some coding. Pretty broad area to get into but my overall goal is to "understand" more how circuitry works the way it does.

I'm not looking for an engineering degree, just enough to give the ability to do some DIY projects. I've got basic skills in all these areas besides coding, in which i "sort of understand how it works" Anybody got any suggestions on where to start, or what helped you get off the ground, and what equipment I'd need?
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: best way to learn more about small electronics.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 11:48:02 »
Honestly? I picked up SO much by hanging out in the GH IRC. Going to be learning Debian and setting up a 'nix server very soon. People there are really knowledgeable.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline bavman

Re: best way to learn more about small electronics.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 15:45:03 »
I've used this to learn some basic stuff. The guy who wrote it did it pretty well and explains stuff nicely.
http://www.learningelectronics.net/vol_1/index.html

If you have a basic understanding of physics/electricity then skip to section 3/4