Author Topic: What DMM should I buy?  (Read 1561 times)

Offline bavman

What DMM should I buy?
« on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 22:34:06 »
Hey guys. I've been snooping around for a decent DMM for the past week. I'm looking to spend around $50, but no more than $60. Will mostly be doing small electronics work with it so I'd like it to be able to read voltage, current, resistance, capacitance within a good degree of accuracy. I found this one: Mastech MS8268, but review seem a little mixed. Some people complain about bad readings. I don't know too much about features other than basic stuff right now. I wouldn't mind buying a used meter either on ebay.

Offline TAdams

• Professional Lurker
Re: What DMM should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 23:28:32 »
Mastech for the DIY'er/hobbyist is a good affordable option. Extech also has some models in this price range that may interest you. Klien tools is popular with certain tradespeople but I am unfamiliar with their DMM's. If you go for a used one on Ebay, try a Fluke, Mastech, Extech and not some offbrand.

If you are concerned about readings, do some tests as soon as you get it. Chances are that unless you have access to a really good DMM you would not know it was a little off. Let us know what you decide!
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 23:30:27 by TAdams »
i want to unsee that - eyebleach plz!

Offline bavman

Re: What DMM should I buy?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 02:38:03 »
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll try out the Mastech then and see how it is. The only other DMMs I have access to is my dad's fluke, but its a clamp one that measures 600A so I don't think its very accurate at small measurements.

I think it will be fine though for the most part. Non of the projects I want to do require super accurate readings.