Author Topic: First Time Buying A Mechanical Keyboard  (Read 2236 times)

Offline flare4000

First Time Buying A Mechanical Keyboard
« on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 15:28:35 »
Hi everyone I need a new keyboard and it seems mechanical are the way to go. For switch types I think I am going with either browns or blues, I want clear but only a few keyboards come with them.
My budget is around $125 and I live in Canada, right now I am looking at the ducky zero, quickfire trigger, quickfire xt (once it comes out), are there any other good suggestions?

Thanks, and forgot to mention but I do not want to go tkl.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
Re: First Time Buying A Mechanical Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 15:33:08 »
WASD V1, Non-custom. Also the V2 should be out soon so I would wait for that but if you have to have one now WASD makes a quality board.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline flare4000

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 15:39:23 »
I looked at the wasd keyboards but when I factor in shipping and Ontario's crazy 13% tax a wasd keyboard will cost me around $178 for a keyboard which is way to much for me. The price I am looking at with shipping and tax is around $150. And what do you mean by non custom all I see on wasd website is semi-custom or full on custom.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 15:39:38 »
Hi everyone I need a new keyboard and it seems mechanical are the way to go. For switch types I think I am going with either browns or blues, I want clear but only a few keyboards come with them.
My budget is around $125 and I live in Canada, right now I am looking at the ducky zero, quickfire trigger, quickfire xt (once it comes out), are there any other good suggestions?

I'm going to give you some advice that you should seriously think about.  Get out of the keyboard market while you still can.  Once you buy one and satisfy your curiosity on how one of them feels you're going to want to find out how the others feel.  I also started out on my quest for the perfect keyboard looking at browns and blues.  From the discription they sounded the most like what I would want.  Several keyboards, keycap sets and a lot of $$$ later I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a RealForce keyboard, 55g.  They're $250 right now, which is cheap for a RF.  Long story short.  I could have saved myself soo much trouble, time and effort if I would have just bought this from the start, but I didn't because I was affraid of spending that much on a keyboard.  I'ts worth it.  Best keyboard..... EVER.  I suppose the other side of that coin is, if you start out with a RF, you may still have the itch to scratch with MX switches.  See where this goes?  The search is never over.  Although I must admit I'm pretty content now.

Offline flare4000

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 16:20:40 »
I know where you are coming from but I just want to scratch the surface with mechanical keyboards, if I want a better keyboard in the future I will just give the mechanical keyboard that I will buy to one of my family members. Just want a good keyboard to replace my membrane Sony keyboard back from 2000. Btw how are the ducky zeros? I haven't seen to many reviews on it.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 12:13:25 »

Everything from cooler master but the Quickfire Rapid has considerably worse build quality, from what I've heard.
I know where you are coming from but I just want to scratch the surface with mechanical keyboards, if I want a better keyboard in the future I will just give the mechanical keyboard that I will buy to one of my family members. Just want a good keyboard to replace my membrane Sony keyboard back from 2000. Btw how are the ducky zeros? I haven't seen to many reviews on it.
You kept a membrane keyboard for that long? Oh god why...
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 April 2013, 12:18:05 by Rule16 »
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline Sai

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 12:16:44 »
that seems to be untrue. Everyone here is loving QFR from what i've heard.
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 12:19:19 »
that seems to be untrue. Everyone here is loving QFR from what i've heard.
That's why I said
Everything from cooler master but the Quickfire Rapid has considerably worse build quality, from what I've heard.
Sorry the wording is a bit bad there, but what I meant to say is that everything from cooler master besides the QFR is poor quality compared to the QFR
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 April 2013, 12:21:18 by Rule16 »
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 12:20:53 »
I happen to have a QFR with ninja keycaps for sale in the classifieds here:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42706.0

Offline Sai

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 12:21:34 »
Sorry the wording is a bit bad there, but what I meant to say is that everything from cooler master besides the QFR is poor quality compared to the QFR
its ok. Probably my sleepy eyes cant read lines clearly either.
Yes. QFR is the way to go, OP. you wouldn't regret it. :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 April 2013, 12:33:17 by Sai »
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline flare4000

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 17:40:21 »
I would get the QFR but I prefer to have the num pad. So Cooler Master isn't that good of a keyboard brand?

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 17:52:07 »
I would get the QFR but I prefer to have the num pad. So Cooler Master isn't that good of a keyboard brand?

Depends on the board. Different OEMs. IIRC, the Trigger's made by Costar, so that should be good, as is the XT when it comes. The Quickfire TK is made by a different OEM, so it's not quite as highly recommended, but apparently it's build well.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 17:53:14 »

I wouldn't waste my money on one.  But I'm probably looking for different things in a keyboard than you.

Offline flare4000

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 18:41:54 »

Depends on the board. Different OEMs. IIRC, the Trigger's made by Costar, so that should be good, as is the XT when it comes. The Quickfire TK is made by a different OEM, so it's not quite as highly recommended, but apparently it's build well.
So the trigger is a good keyboard? The trigger with blue will only cost me a grand total of $88 after the mail in rebate, so that looks mighty tempting.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 19:14:31 »

So the trigger is a good keyboard? The trigger with blue will only cost me a grand total of $88 after the mail in rebate, so that looks mighty tempting.

IIRC, the Trigger is made by Costar, which is well regarded here. It should be just fine.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Bencze

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 14:03:34 »
when I factor in shipping and Ontario's crazy 13% tax

I know I'm being off-topic, but when I bought my QFR it costed 75$, with shipping and 27% tax became 130.
I know 13 is also quite a lot, but if it is any consolation it's still not very bad, considering :)

Good luck, anyway...
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-

Offline birthdaymonkey

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 19:53:38 »

I'm going to give you some advice that you should seriously think about.  Get out of the keyboard market while you still can.  Once you buy one and satisfy your curiosity on how one of them feels you're going to want to find out how the others feel.  I also started out on my quest for the perfect keyboard looking at browns and blues.  From the discription they sounded the most like what I would want.  Several keyboards, keycap sets and a lot of $$$ later I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a RealForce keyboard, 55g.  They're $250 right now, which is cheap for a RF.  Long story short.  I could have saved myself soo much trouble, time and effort if I would have just bought this from the start, but I didn't because I was affraid of spending that much on a keyboard.  I'ts worth it.  Best keyboard..... EVER.  I suppose the other side of that coin is, if you start out with a RF, you may still have the itch to scratch with MX switches.  See where this goes?  The search is never over.  Although I must admit I'm pretty content now.

QFT. My story is virtually identical to yours -- although I've *only* bought a total of five keyboards (Das, WASD, RF 45g, QFR, RF 55g) before arriving at the 55g Topre.

Of the lot, I think the QuickFire Rapid is the best value and would recommend it for a first timer.

I do have a couple of friends who managed to just get one and stop. So it is *possible*.
Realforce 87u 55g | WASD v1 with Blues | Quickfire Rapid with Blues | Filco 87 with Reds