Author Topic: Trackballs  (Read 5647 times)

Offline Squelos

Trackballs
« on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 19:47:14 »
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting a trackball. A proper trackball, not a keyboard with one.

I'm a sofware developper, so I dont really need a mouse most of the time. I mostly use my keyboard, because you can do pretty much anything with your keyboard.
I only use TKL keyboards because I find it better, as you can have you mouse closer to your right hand. You dont have to move your right hand all that much to grab the mouse, plus your two hands are closer together when using the mouse and your left hand on your keyboard.

But sometimes, I wonder if it would be better to just use a trackball. No need to move your hand, no need for a mousepad.

What opinion do you geekhackers have on trackballs ? Are they sufficient for most desktop use ? What kind of trackball would I be looking for ?
The combo Tenkeyless + trackball seems quite attractive, but I really would need to try it to  say if I like it or not.

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
Re: Trackballs
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 April 2013, 20:35:24 »
I use a CST L-Trac and I love it. Works great for general surfing, or when you don't really need a mouse and want something to fit snugly in a keyboard tray.

However, I still tend to go back to the mouse as I can move much faster and can get better precision if needed.

The trackball for me is more for slow relaxed surfing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 April 2013, 20:38:00 by RiffRaff »

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 00:39:50 »
Trackballs are more than enough for desktop use, although you might be limited in your options depending on how much dpi you need, as many people find the more commonly available trackballs to have too low dpi.
If you're wanting to use a trackball permanently it might be worth looking into the CST ones if you want high dpi, but if you don't need that the Kensington ones should fit your needs just fine.

I use a Kensington Slimblade along with a regular mouse and keyboard setup, I generally use my trackball for a lot of desktop and surfing, whereas I switch to the mouse for gaming or other precision tasks, although some people prefer to do those tasks with a trackball as well, and most of them seem to perform just as well with one.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 00:51:53 »
I've been using Logitech Trackman Marbles (controlled with your thumb) since the first one came out in the 90s.  I use them for everything, though they can be cumbersome in FPS games.  It did take some getting used to,  but it cured some issues I was having with my wrist way back then.  The DPI on the M570 is pretty decent and I have not had issues with the wireless aspect.
Russ

Offline Shoka

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 22:50:02 »
I've been using the Logitech Cordless TrackMan Optical for probably eight or nine years now. It's lasted well, and it's still one of only a small selection of trackballs that have a finger operated ball, extra programmable buttons (forward/back etc), and a proper (not silly software based) scroll wheel. 

The only problem with it is the fact that its cordless. The wireless technology in it is old to say the least, the receiver being almost half the size of the trackball itself and having quite poor range. But just find somewhere it works and stick it there - it's not as if a trackball moves a great deal.

If Logitech ever made this one in a wired version I would be a happy man.

One thing I will say, if you want one, get the older one, in silver and black, rather than the newer one, in dark-grey, black and red. Unfortunately Logitech cheapened out on this product and the newer one uses rather cheap naff plastics inside that wear out very quickly in comparison. The new one people have complained of the left click going in six months or less. Mine, as I say has been going strong eight plus years.

http://i.imgur.com/6jTY8h9.jpg << It's seen better days, but it still works as good as the day I bought it.

Offline regicide

• Software developer and Open source hacker
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 18:23:01 »
For general usage a trackball is great, I use one at work in combination with a mouse in order to try and even the load between my two hands (RSI).
At home I have a higher DPI mouse for gaming.

I use a Kensington Slimblade along with a regular mouse and keyboard setup, I generally use my trackball for a lot of desktop and surfing, whereas I switch to the mouse for gaming or other precision tasks, although some people prefer to do those tasks with a trackball as well, and most of them seem to perform just as well with one.

I use a slimblade and I find I have to clean it quite often (often daily) as it squeeks quite a bit and has a habit of getting quite hard to turn the ball, mine is a few years old now though.
2 Kinesis advantages (MX browns)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:12:29 »
I've got a SlimBlade in the mail, going to be using it for my day to day programming. I'll let you know how it works out.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 15:36:00 »
Got the slimblade. So far, I'm loving it. The build quality could be a bit better, but overall it's really nice. I didn't think I'd like the twist-to-scroll feature, but I'll be damned if it isn't actually super-intuitive.
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 May 2013, 17:14:36 by daerid »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 21:53:39 »
Got the slimblade. So far, I'm loving it. The build quality could be a bit better, but overall it's really nice. I didn't think I'd like the twist-to-scroll feature, but I'll be damned if it isn't actually super-intuitive.

I'm right there with you. I still really want to try out an Ltrac to see how they compare.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 13:36:27 »
I own a CST 1550, and am currently trying out an ITAC systems trackball. The ITAC has a 2" ball, which is slightly smaller than the CST. the bearings in the ITAC are proper ball bearings, but the cpi is a little lower. I'm really liking the middle click on the ITAC, and it looks easier to hack on. I'm hopefully going to experiment with upping the resolution with a different slotted wheel; we'll see.

Of the two, I prefer the ITAC because it's easier to hack on and play with, which matters a lot to me. as a con, the omron microswitches are only rated for 1,000,000 clicks (anyone know where to get better ones? I can't find any)

Offline Hazel

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 13:28:00 »
I am a software engineer and I use the Logitech M570, both at work and at home.  It matches my QFR and makes for a nice compact workspace.  I love the way it fits my hand, and that the buttons and wheel are just like a mouse.

Although the thumb ball may appear unwieldy, within 5 minutes I was competent and by the end of the day it was second nature.  I find mice barbaric now :)

Its also fun to watch coworkers grab it and try to use it like a mouse!  :p

There are a few issues with the M570, however:
- Out of the box, the scroll wheel is gritty; it smooths out with use.  An adventurous soul might explore the innards for a better solution.
- The scroll wheel is hard to click, and almost impossible to click without scrolling.  BUT, you can reprogram the Forward/Back buttons on a per-app basis, so I just have one of those set as my middle-click.  (I think this required hacking the XML config file on Windows because of brain-damage in the setup app; I don't remember needing this on my Mac at home.  You can also adjust sensitivity per-axis in the config file!)

Even with the flaws, I love it.  After using one at work for a week, I bought a 2nd one for home and haven't looked back.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 13:37:35 »

I love this too.

- Out of the box, the scroll wheel is gritty; it smooths out with use.  An adventurous soul might explore the innards for a better solution.
- The scroll wheel is hard to click, and almost impossible to click without scrolling.  BUT, you can reprogram the Forward/Back buttons on a per-app basis, so I just have one of those set as my middle-click.  (I think this required hacking the XML config file on Windows because of brain-damage in the setup app; I don't remember needing this on my Mac at home.  You can also adjust sensitivity per-axis in the config file!)

The later version of the Trackman Marble (the dark grey one) also has this issue.  The feel of the wheel and the tension of the return spring can be adjusted by taking it apart and tweaking the spring tensions a bit.  There is a helper spring for the button action that can be relaxed and the wheel has a tiny spring that rides the bumps on the inside which can also be tweaked.

My dream Trackman would be the shape of the M570 integrated with the design of the G500's buttons and wheel.
Russ

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 15:34:03 »
NIB Microsoft Trackball Optical's go for $80 shipped on ebay right now (or at least the one I bought a few days ago did). The one my Dad has is still going strong after more than a decade. They are the epitome of ergonomic trackball form. I'm gonna try to put a laser sensor in it to increase the DPI. Which means I'll likely have to butcher a different trackball...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:05:32 »
I am a software engineer and I use the Logitech M570, both at work and at home.  It matches my QFR and makes for a nice compact workspace.  I love the way it fits my hand, and that the buttons and wheel are just like a mouse.

Although the thumb ball may appear unwieldy, within 5 minutes I was competent and by the end of the day it was second nature.  I find mice barbaric now :)

Even with the flaws, I love it.  After using one at work for a week, I bought a 2nd one for home and haven't looked back.

Agree with this.  I use M570 as my primary pointing device lately.  Regarding the gritty scroll wheel... it bothered me at first too.  I wish it was a more high end wheel like on the MX Performance mouse.  (which granted, costs twice as much)  I did take mine apart to fix this, but there's not really a solution.  The friction is added by a small arm that rubs the inner-track of the wheel.  You can remove it thus making the wheel free-flowing, but personally I didn't like that at all... you accidentally make it scroll if you brush it or shake the device.  Either way, it either smooths out a bit over time, or I've just gotten used to it.  Overall, it's a great device.  I'd prefer a $100 version with higher-end components, but it's not cheaply made in it's current form.

My biggest complaint is that you can't scroll side to side with it.  Some trackballs I've used have a ring around the ball for this.  Another fix would be for them to make the scroll wheel tilt-able... again just like the Performance MX mouse.

Offline grizzlyclambert

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 16:27:21 »

This matches my set up at home almost exactly. I am considering buying a second-one (M570) for work, just like I'm considering buying a second Model M or QFR for work as well.

I used my M570 with a Model M for a long time because of limited mousing space at home and fell in love with it. I game in SW:TOR and EverQuest twice a week and the M570 works out great.

My only dislike on this trackball is that my hands seem to be grease/dirt magnets so I'm cleaning the trackball contacts at least once per MMO session/ after heavy use.
IBM Keyboard Enthusiast| CM Storm Quickfire-Lovely Browns!

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 11 June 2013, 16:46:30 »
I will be putting an 8200DPI Avago ADNS-9800 laser sensor in my Microsoft Trackball Optical, and adding 2 buttons to change the DPI. The best trackball in existence is getting a long awaited upgrade. My Dad will be doing the same to his after mine is done.
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster