Author Topic: Do Cherry MX Clears need a "break in" period?  (Read 7966 times)

Offline jksteger

Do Cherry MX Clears need a "break in" period?
« on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 12:06:24 »
Do Cherry MX Clears need a "break in" period?

I ask because I'm not bonding with my new Ducky 9008 shine II with MX Clears.  And currently it's setting in the box with all the paperwork and I'm tempted to send it back to MK.  I wanted a board that was as close to the old school Apple Extended II keyboard as I could find. 

I did get a Matias Quite Pro and I've had it for about a week now but it's not 100% the same as the AEKII.  The keys don't have as big of a tactile bump to me.  I was hoping the MX Clears would be a better replacement but man, these clears fight back when you press them!  I thought about dropping some brown springs in them but the Ducky is all back light with LED's in the switches so I would have to desolder them all and it's just not worth my time and effort with that.

So I was wondering, especially from other clear owners, if the switches need some type of break in time to loosen up a little.  If so, I will keep the board for a while and see if they break in for me.

Also, is there anyway to lube a MX switch w/o opening the switch cover?  remember these have the LED's so I cannot just open up the switch!

My other option is to send it back and order a board with MX Whites.  I've read that users describe the Whites as being what they thought Clears were supposed to be.  But I read that the force for Whites are around 80 grams!  These Clears are only 55 grams but they feel much, much harder to press than my Blacks which are 60 grams, so they should feel the same.  Also, after the tactile bump, they get almost double hard to press and I find I am not bottoming out very much.

Any thoughts on break in time or if I need to move to a MX White or just give up and order a few more AEKII's from ebay and desolder the switches and put them into my Ducky TKL with Alps MX switches.

Thanks,
j.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Do Cherry MX Clears need a "break in" period?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 12:08:55 »
Putting lighter springs in Clear switches helps pronounce the tactility. We call these Ergo Clears.

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 12:54:04 »
Have you tried putting PBT keycaps on it? I had similar feelings about Clears until I tried PBT caps, it really makes them feel better. You can also try putting O-rings on, it makes them feel a little lighter because they don't travel down as far.

Also, Clears have a measured actuation force of about 75g, so Greens or Whites aren't all that much heavier. The 55g number is Cherry's official spec, but most actual measurements I've seen have been different.

Offline jksteger

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 13:20:51 »
Good point about the PBT's.  I have a few caps around here somewhere so I will try one of the rows with the PBT's and see how much of a difference that makes. 

As far as the Ergo Clears...if these switches didn't have a LED in each one, I would put some brown springs in them.

J.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 14:45:56 »
I vote for Ergo Clears with PBT caps on them.  I tried that on my Phantom before i pulled it apart and the typing on it was completely SUBLIME.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 14:54:38 »
I'm on the same boat. I'm not bonding w/ my clears either. I think they're a bit stiff for me. I have to admit after a day or two I did get used to it, but after gaming a bit I felt mi hands were more tired than usual. Can I send it back to MK? Do I just pay for shipping?
Ducky Shine II Blue LED Brown Switches
CM QF TK Red LED Red Switches

Offline jksteger

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 17:56:13 »
That is correct according to MK site. You also need to include your email confermation or packing slip. It also, states they charge a restocking fee.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 21:41:26 »
Yeah, I think that the Ergo Clears with O-rings should be a little bit more like Cream Alps in feel...
Ergo Clears do have a reputation of not bouncing up properly, but some modders claim that lubing the switches would fix that.

However, there are some other things that make a keyboard feel different. The AEKII has thick PBT caps, yes, but it also has different angles on each row to the switch plane than most keyboards. (something that makes it not worthwhile to use AEKII caps on other Alps keyboards).

Personally, I like Clears like they are. It took me a while to get used to them, but now I love that the Clears dampen the stroke after the bump.
🍉

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 22:01:13 »
Just the few days I've been using my clears it seems like the more I use it the better they feel.

Don't know if the switches need the break in or if fingers need to get a little stronger.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 April 2013, 22:02:47 by ray4jc »

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 22:15:40 »
Just the few days I've been using my clears it seems like the more I use it the better they feel.

Don't know if the switches need the break in or if fingers need to get a little stronger.

You are one of the chosen elite... the ones who enjoy MX Clears. Welcome to our world. :)
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 03:36:38 »

You are one of the chosen elite... the ones who enjoy MX Clears. Welcome to our world. :)

LOL! "the chosen elite" Makes me feel a little bit more special :P It's a beautiful world, at least one that feels and sounds beautiful :D

Offline TwistedMentat

• It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 10:36:58 »
I know this isn't the WTB/WTS forum, but anyone here who decides they don't want their Ducky Shine II with MX Clears, please PM me, as I am seriously thinking of getting one.  As jabar mentioned in another thread, the Ducky with Greens is really not good for gaming, and I've been getting back into gaming again (which I didn't intend to do at the time I ordered the Limited Edition with Greens).  HuskyStarcraft's hilarious playthroughs of Half-Life 2 and WarCraft 3 ignited my nostalgia, so I'm back on my Logitech G110 for gaming.  When I need to type, I have to switch back to the Ducky.  It'd be nice to have a keyboard that is good for everything.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 13:14:05 »
I know this isn't the WTB/WTS forum, but anyone here who decides they don't want their Ducky Shine II with MX Clears, please PM me, as I am seriously thinking of getting one.  As jabar mentioned in another thread, the Ducky with Greens is really not good for gaming, and I've been getting back into gaming again (which I didn't intend to do at the time I ordered the Limited Edition with Greens).  HuskyStarcraft's hilarious playthroughs of Half-Life 2 and WarCraft 3 ignited my nostalgia, so I'm back on my Logitech G110 for gaming.  When I need to type, I have to switch back to the Ducky.  It'd be nice to have a keyboard that is good for everything.

Good sir, these are still available brand new :)

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=296

Get it! It's so amazing. As much as I loved the Greens (still think they are the best feeling switch along with Clears), it was too stiff for my weaker fingers. Clears solve that problem. It's slightly lighter but still stiff enough with very pronounced tactile feedback.

Offline iri

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 13:30:57 »
and ergo clears have even more pronounced tactile bump. and saner actuation force. and no, they don't stick. and they bring you tea.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 13:43:20 »
and ergo clears have even more pronounced tactile bump. and saner actuation force. and no, they don't stick. and they bring you tea.

Ugh! I want to finish assembling my ergo-clears but i still need some clear switches and a phantom plate :(

Offline jksteger

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 18:14:03 »
Well, as an update, I shipped mine back to MK today. UPS said it would arrive on Wednesday. Whenever MK credits my $$$ back I'm going to stick with MX blues from now on when using cherry.

J.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 18:18:24 »
I was just thinking about my own Clears(with red springs)
I lubed them and they feel lighter than browns.
I did not like them at first but with the right keycaps they feel great.
Ergoclears did feel overhyped when I first tried them but they got better along the way.
SmallFry! <3

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Re: Do Cherry MX Clears need a "break in" period?
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 18:43:33 »
I was just thinking about my own Clears(with red springs)
I lubed them and they feel lighter than browns.
I did not like them at first but with the right keycaps they feel great.
Ergoclears did feel overhyped when I first tried them but they got better along the way.

What key caps felt the best to you?

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 20:49:25 »
I have yet to own a set of thick PBT but they feel nice as singles at least.
SmallFry! <3

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 22:33:07 »
Does anyone have a force graph for a clear switch?
Or an Ergoclear?
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Re: Do Cherry MX Clears need a "break in" period?
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 23:04:43 »
Does anyone have a force graph for a clear switch?
Or an Ergoclear?

A graph for clears can be googled. Someone on GH posted one for ergo clears. It's an older post and I saw it a week ago, but I can't seem to find it anywhere now :(

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 23:43:05 »
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)