Author Topic: KBT Pure with PBT caps question  (Read 927 times)

Offline jksteger

KBT Pure with PBT caps question
« on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:55:13 »
Can anyone tell me if the Pure with PBT caps have better lettering?  I have a Pure and pulled the LED's out and changed switches but the caps that came with it are hard to read without the LED back lighting.  I need to see the lettering on these keys and especially the functions as I've not learned where they all are.  I was wondering if the KBT Pure PBT's are easier to see.

thanks,
Jeremy

Offline jksteger

Re: KBT Pure with PBT caps question
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 09:58:02 »
Nevermind...

I found a photo of one that was for sale in classifieds.  They key caps look like exactly what I need.  Thanks again,

j.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:09:03 »
I know you found your answer, but your question was reasonable.  ;D

I ran into the same issue when I chose not to use the backlighting on my Pure. The stock caps are very hard to read without the LED shining through them. Getting standard doubleshots, PBT, or even the ABS key caps that are not designed for backlighting will work.

Here's what I have on my board now.

KBT Pure with CCnG by Michael Ashby, on Flickr

Offline jksteger

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 11:24:33 »
they look great!  I would need some map tapped to the wall so I would know where PgUp, Dn, Home, etc were as I use them a good bit but not enough to have memorized them.

BTW, where did you get those caps at?  (I'm kind new to the whole keycap thing)

J.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:13:59 »
they look great!  I would need some map tapped to the wall so I would know where PgUp, Dn, Home, etc were as I use them a good bit but not enough to have memorized them.

BTW, where did you get those caps at?  (I'm kind new to the whole keycap thing)

J.

Yeah, the FN layer takes a bit to get used to and I still forget some of them. I mostly just use the arrow, delete and volume keys on the FN layer.

I bought the key caps in the classified section, but there was a GroupBuy recently for another round of these exact key caps. There are a lot of options out there for replacing your key caps, so you'll want to do some research and experiment until you find what you like, but the Classified and GroupBuys are some of the best places to find new sets.

KeyPop.net currently has two sets on their web site that you might find interesting. Red Alert (from a GB) and Coffee and Cream, which was a custom set KeyPop created.