Author Topic: what should I be looking at?  (Read 865 times)

Offline WatchMaker

what should I be looking at?
« on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:28:33 »
TL-DR: which keyboard, Cherry programmable keyboard without LED or Ducky Shine keyboard with LED? 

Not that I need someone to make my choice for me just let me know what things to consider when buying a keyboard.  I've done some homework already.  I like the two of these the most for price & what they offer.

I have the color-coded rubber membrane keyboard (on top).
Was gonna get the razer anansi or blackwidow but my razer naga already becoming defective so I hesitate buying keyboard from them.

I want a keyboard that will outlive me.  The Cherry 144-key (center) is programmable and cheap to color coat - just slip peaces of paper under the keycaps.  Programmable is a huge plus but it's ugly, not a standard keyboard & no LED.

The ducky (bottom) with Blue switches seams nice but color keycaps are a little pricey.  So to custom color-coat all the keys will be a bit expensive & it's not programmable.  The big bonus is it's LED fully mechanical & sexy.

Programmable > LED > Mechanical.  I would like at least 2 out of 3 of these features but Razer, Logitech & Corsair don't seam like prudent purchase.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: what should I be looking at?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 07:28:44 »
Kit keyboards will be what you should be looking at to have it all if you have the money since they are quite a lot more than off the shelf. Nothing wrong with starting at the top if you can though.
KMAC lineup, A87, MXmini, and non LED GH60, Phantom... etc. Not as easy to obtain either, while they come up for sale occasionally some you will probably have to pay quite over the odds for to secure as there is more demand than availability.

There will be some new models of Pure/Poker from Vortex soon with some programability though I am not entirely sure on how flexible it will be.

If that is not an option for you for budget reasons, the next best thing for programmable would probably be something from Access IS or Tipro which will also be sans LED, but especially good options if you prefer a matrix type. These can sometimes be found for very low prices in used market.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 April 2013, 07:32:57 by IvanIvanovich »