Author Topic: Obligatory Hello Post  (Read 1164 times)

Offline qi3ber

Obligatory Hello Post
« on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 17:51:53 »
Hi all, I've been lurking your site for about a week, and have yet to purchase my first mechanical.  I hope you can forgive me.  ;)

My primary keyboard at the house (a well-aged MS Natural 4000) has started showing it's age so I started looking for an alternative.  I gave my keyboard situation some thought, and decided that I don't have much interest in another "ergonomic" keyboard, so I started looking for another long lasting alternative. Long story short, I started looking at mechanical keyboards. After finding your site (so many interesting keycaps!), I found wasdkeyboards and picked up their switch/keycap sampler to help me determine what switch I am.  As it turns out, I've just about settled on cherry browns.

I had been leaning toward a ducky shine 2, but now I see that the v3 is announced and dunno whether I'll have the patience for it to see the light of day.

Anyway, I'm happy to be among you, and can't wait to start wondering where all my spending money disappeared to, while typing with happy fingers.
Leopold FC500 Browns

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Obligatory Hello Post
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 17:53:09 »
Why not have the best of both worlds and get a Maltron or something?

Offline qi3ber

Re: Obligatory Hello Post
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 18:00:22 »
Why not have the best of both worlds and get a Maltron or something?

Well I hadn't run across them, but I decided against a new ergonomic keyboard for two reasons.  The cost of a good ergo is a bit prohibitive, and at my work, I change workstations constantly, so I get to type on about a dozen different (membrane) keyboards a day. Replacing all of them with either a mechanical or an ergo (or both) varies between impossible (political/technicality not capability) and merely difficult/costly.  Especially since I get to share all those keyboards with many other users, most of whom have a strong distaste for non-rectangular keyboards.

I've found that typing on an ergo at home, and a rectangular at work is more difficult that just standardizing on a single form factor.
Leopold FC500 Browns