Author Topic: I Want to Build a Keyboard  (Read 2137 times)

Offline TehYoyo

I Want to Build a Keyboard
« on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 19:45:37 »
Title says it all.  I want to build a keyboard.  I got referred here from Overclock.net.  They said you guys were extreme.  I'm hoping they were right.

Are there any guides that you can point me to?  Any tips?  I can solder, can't make custom PCBs, limited electronics knowledge.  Virtually no keyboard knowledge.

Oh, and hi.

TehYoyo

Funny story: The verification question almost tripped me up (for registration).  I put PS/2 (still using a PS/2) then thought again and got USB.

Offline bavman

Re: I Want to Build a Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 19:51:28 »
Super hardcore. What sized keyboard do you want? Fullsize, TKL, 60%, or something else?

Welcome to gh by the way.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 19:57:31 »
If you're trying to design your own layout and prototype check this out:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40567
I will be attempting it soon enough.

If you trying to do something more basic you just missed a group buy for the GH60 which is a DIY keyboard. You can learn more about it here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41464

Welcome to geekhack!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 20:05:37 »
Welcome to GH! The links that hellocodes posted are good ones, check 'em out.

I just have a few questions :

1. Do you know about the common switch mounting methods? Plate mount, PCB mount etc.
2. Do you want to make a custom case or use an existing one?
3. Do you ever plan to have a PCB manufactured?
4. What kind of switches do you want to use? I'm guessing Cherry MX.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline TehYoyo

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 14:21:57 »
bavman,
Thanks for the welcome.  I'm going fullsize.  I use all my keys.

hellocodes,
Thanks for the links.  When I have time (tomorrow) I'll read through the first link.

Photekq,
Thanks for the welcome as well.
1.) I've guessed as to what they mean.  Plate mount means mounted on a plate (I saw a plate in the GH60 thread) and presumably just uses lots of wires to link to the controller.  PCB means mounted on a PCB.  Switches soldered directly to the PCB, etc.  I'll probably go with plate-mounted.  I would think that they'd be more durable than PCB-mount b/c of the structure of the plate.  Also, large PCBs are expensive (from what I can tell).
2.) Custom case seems difficult.  I have two keyboards at home that I could use.  However, they're both plastic.  Speaking of having keyboards at home... could I keep the chip inside one of the keyboards and use that?  Seems easier.
3.) Like I said, they seem expensive.  I'd rather wire it w/ hook-up wire.
4.) Cherry MX Blue, LEDs as well.  There's not much literature on ALPS (which are the other main mechanical switch, right?), so I don't know how they feel.  And buckling spring aren't manufactured, right?

Note: I'm a student with a very low income.  One of my main concerns is my budget.  I'd like to keep it <$120ish.  That can be compromised, but at that point, I'll just buy a Ducky Shine for the money.  One of the main things I like about this project is how simple (theoretically, minus firmware) it is and how cool the idea is.

Thanks,
TehYoyo

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 14:25:55 »
bavman,
Thanks for the welcome.  I'm going fullsize.  I use all my keys.

hellocodes,
Thanks for the links.  When I have time (tomorrow) I'll read through the first link.

Photekq,
Thanks for the welcome as well.
1.) I've guessed as to what they mean.  Plate mount means mounted on a plate (I saw a plate in the GH60 thread) and presumably just uses lots of wires to link to the controller.

This isn't exactly true for commercial platemounted boards. Most Plate mounted keyboards have a PCB, but they also have a plate to keep the switches more stable. There are some keyboards around here like you described, where they just have a plate and wiring, but those are all custom boards and are usually proof-of-concept.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline bavman

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 15:01:12 »
You could definitely make a keyboard without a PCB, but I'm not sure how stable it would be. Head over to the "making stuff together" subforum and there are a lot of great articles written by people here that will show you how to wire a keyboard matrix and everything.  The easiest way to do this would probably to get a teensy 2.0 usb controller, a bunch of diodes, a your favorite switches. You'll just wire the switches in a matrix, hook it up to the teensy and flash it with a generic(or custom) keyboard firmware. As for LEDs on every key, I think its completely plausible, but you'll need to get all your resistance and voltages right so you don't burn out your LEDs. There are a lot of people here with extensive electronic knowledge that can help you with that.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 16:19:08 »
You could definitely make a keyboard without a PCB, but I'm not sure how stable it would be.

if the plate is 1.5mm metal and the case solid, you can't feel the difference. I recently designed a steel keyboard without PCB and it feels more stable than a Filco.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:32:56 »
This is definitely the right place...

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:55:31 »
Cherry MX switches made for PCB-mounting mounted on a PCB with four soldered pins and two mounting pins are more stable than switches that are only mounted in a plate. Plate + PCB is the best.
🍉

Offline TehYoyo

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:48:26 »
I'm sure plate+PCB is best, but it's more expensive.  No me gusta.

Matt3o, that keyboard looked really cool - how much was the custom-cut material?  Did you do it yourself?  Also, how did you know the specs, etc?

Also, how do I make an enclosure?  I don't want the light to spill out.

Finally, where's the cheapest place to get Cherry MX keycaps?  Mouser?

The electrical work I'm not worried about.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 01:34:10 »
Cherry MX switches made for PCB-mounting mounted on a PCB with four soldered pins and two mounting pins are more stable than switches that are only mounted in a plate. Plate + PCB is the best.

no matter how strongly attached is the switch, the PCB is going to bend slightly anyway. You should really try my stainless steel beauty, a PCB wouldn't add a thing to it :)

Matt3o, that keyboard looked really cool - how much was the custom-cut material?  Did you do it yourself?  Also, how did you know the specs, etc?

I spent approx €60 for the case. I had it laser cut from a company here in Italy. The design is mine, I did it on a freeware CAD software. The specs are freely available here on the forum.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 04:59:43 »
Welcome to the forum. I prefer the switches mounted on a metalic plate rather than the PCB, whether it may be from steel or another lighweight material. Cherry MX switches that attach to the PCB have an extra pin at their base, according to what I know....I may be wrong.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 07:37:30 »
I would definitely suggest building yourself a keyboard from a kit as a first step.  You missed the GH60 and Phantom GBs, but there will be other ones coming soon most likely.