Author Topic: oh no, finally need mac "fn" key (realforce 87u)  (Read 6583 times)

Offline rebcabin2

oh no, finally need mac "fn" key (realforce 87u)
« on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 11:26:55 »
investigating iMops (http://sourceforge.net/projects/powermops/files/iMops/) Forth for Mac, its IDE uses fn-enter on the Mac keyboard to run code :(
Anyone know how to get or sim a mac fn-key on a RealForce 87u? I tried all 32 combinations of {rt-ctrl, lft-ctrl, alt, win, shift} + Enter for a no go. I gave up on all 64 combos of {rt-ctrl, lft-ctrl, rt-shift, lft-shift, alt, win}.

Alternative: mod the source and rebuild iMops so it doesn't use the silly fn key

Offline kwago

Re: oh no, finally need mac "fn" key (realforce 87u)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 11:42:39 »
Key remap for macbook

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 11:43:32 »
Well, Fn-return is "enter" on a mac.  (The equivalent to the enter key on the num pad)  It goes by the symbol:

So with that in mind, I'd start by looking at some key remapping software and then I'd map enter (not return) to a different keystroke or extra key.  I've used http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/ quite a bit, but I haven't looked to see if Enter is mappable via that.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 12:22:42 »
Or he could buy a proper keyboard with all the standard keys present.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 12:28:48 »
aggie, if that is so, couldn't he turn the Num Lock on and press the key to the right of P?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 12:43:11 »
aggie, if that is so, couldn't he turn the Num Lock on and press the key to the right of P?

This. This is going to be the quickest and easiest way to get what you want.

Otherwise, use KeyRemap4Macbook and remap Option+Return to be Numpad Enter.

Offline rebcabin2

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 13:26:42 »
oddly, num-lock doesn't turn on the embedded LED on my 87-u on the mac, and doesn't enable the numlock function (mapping UIO_P/JKL:"/M,./ to a virtual numpad) (works fine on a PC).  investigating...

might have to go to a 104 or 103 for the mac :(

Offline FourOhFour

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 14:11:07 »
Yeah, the realforce's embedded numpad doesn't work on the mac since it is looking for the numlock light. (Which is stupid... who wants their embedded numpad on just because their PC enabled numlock on boot?)

You can use KeyRemap4MacBook to get an fn key. Just install it and enable the setting "Application Key to Fn" under "For PC Users", "Change PC Application Key". This will make the key between right windows and right control fn.

If you want the embedded numpad to work, you can add my settings to your private.xml.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2013, 14:17:47 by FourOhFour »

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 14:31:58 »
Just because its TKL and doesn't have a key that only Macs use doesn't make it any less of a keyboard. I wouldn't call the fn key "standard" either.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 14:41:30 »
Just because its TKL and doesn't have a key that only Macs use doesn't make it any less of a keyboard. I wouldn't call the fn key "standard" either.
All computers use the "Enter" key, not just macs.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
oh no, finally need mac "fn" key (realforce 87u)
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 16:07:35 »
The vast vast majority of applications don't distinguish between the enter key in the typing area and the numpad enter key. Actually differentiating between the two would be less standard.

Offline rebcabin2

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 16:35:08 »
Yeah, the realforce's embedded numpad doesn't work on the mac since it is looking for the numlock light. (Which is stupid... who wants their embedded numpad on just because their PC enabled numlock on boot?)

You can use KeyRemap4MacBook to get an fn key. Just install it and enable the setting "Application Key to Fn" under "For PC Users", "Change PC Application Key". This will make the key between right windows and right control fn.

If you want the embedded numpad to work, you can add my settings to your private.xml.

Thanks :)  I'm going down this road.  Didn't know about the "private.xml" juju before :)

EDIT: KeyRemap4MacBook == key-geek paradise!  emacs mode FTWOMG!
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2013, 16:55:05 by rebcabin2 »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 16:40:03 »
All computers use the "Enter" key, not just macs.

stop it. go outside and try to smile about something
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace