Author Topic: RSI relief that works  (Read 4864 times)

Offline gator456

RSI relief that works
« on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 12:33:57 »
I wanted to take a quick minute share with yall something that saved my career.

My RSI got to the point where I had sharp pains in my finger tips whenever I typed.  I was to the point where I was going to have to change my career.

A friend recommended this web site (http://www.tendonitisexpert.com/).  The video involved 'ice plunges' and some stretches (This site has a similiar technique http://integrativeworks.com/ice-plunges-for-the-ankle-and-foot-with-video-demo/).  Within one week I felt significantly better.  As my symptoms disappeared I used the therapy less and less.  Now I use it once ever few months when my hands start cramping up again.  I could go through all the details on the video; however, the guy charged only $40 and it worked.

I also worked with a professional to correct my posture and massage therapist (to work out the knots in my arms and back.).
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2013, 12:40:51 by gator456 »

Offline pgeiger

Re: RSI relief that works
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 12:18:02 »
I got a better keyboard, got my boss to get me a touchpad, and started yoga.  Wasn't having RSI in my fingers - just my shoulders.  It worked.

Offline regicide

• Software developer and Open source hacker
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 May 2013, 18:06:22 »
I primarily have RSI in my fingers and wrists, I have mostly solved this by getting a Kinesis advantage which allows me to move problem keys away from fingers that cause pain by remapping them elsewhere (shift + pinky = pain).
I have also had some good results with programs that force me to take short breaks every half an hour or so, I stopped using these a while ago and instead do a similar thing 'manually' by just taking regular short breaks (30 seconds or so) to stretch.
2 Kinesis advantages (MX browns)

Offline skwan

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 03:47:04 »
No expert here, but after I started working a desk job and had to type over 4-5 hours daily, i started to feel that my tendons would "pulls" and being really "tight" in general, and was really concerned, and did basic stretching every 15 minutes, which provided short term relief. (mostly feeling it at the ring finger all the way down to the inner elbow joint (when palm up).

After a year or so of it worsening, (and due to entirely unrelated reasons), I started doing weight lifting again, and the situation have improved a lot.  I still feel strains and pull after long sessions of typing, but not consistently like before on a daily basis.  During my worse times, it would hurt every time I type.

Perhaps its a good stretching routine that goes with weight training. 

Offline regicide

• Software developer and Open source hacker
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 04:00:03 »
Really silly of me to not mention before, but for me the biggest thing that helps prevent my wrist pains is exercise.
I have found that my wrist pains are nearly non-existent as long as I keep up regular exercise (multiple times a week), for me this is karate but I also try to supplement this with push ups and some light weights.
2 Kinesis advantages (MX browns)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 10:35:35 »
Hey guys I found another secret that helps joint pain:

Eat Jello.

Gelatin magically absorbs into your joints and makes a nice soft cushion for you.  Gelatin does the body good.  I had some friends start eating jello on a regular basis and all their joint pains dropped dramatically.

If Jello does not help you this year then just wait till u are older and your knees start hurting.  It will probably help then.

And it doesn't have to be Jello(tm).  Any brand of Gelatin should be equally good.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 10:49:47 »
I spend all day behind the computer. What works for me is to just get up often, do not keep the same position for a long period of time, and find an alternative for doing anything that puts noticeable strain on hands/wrists/ shoulders. Sometimes, small changes can make a big difference. Just having the wrong shape mouse could mean the difference between being completely fine or having constant pain. Typing without keeping your wrists at an awkward angle is one thing that helped me feel more relaxed when typing (used to bend them inward). Other things that help is to set your desk/monitor/keyboard up in a way that is comfortable to you. I highly recommend anyone to use a desk that is adjustable in height.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline sordna

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 12:37:28 »

Eat Jello.

Gelatin magically absorbs into your joints and makes a nice soft cushion for you.  Gelatin does the body good.  I had some friends start eating jello on a regular basis and all their joint pains dropped dramatically.

If Jello does not help you this year then just wait till u are older and your knees start hurting.  It will probably help then.

And it doesn't have to be Jello(tm).  Any brand of Gelatin should be equally good.

Does plant-based gelatin work, or does it have to be usual animal-based gelatin ?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 17:47:48 »

Eat Jello.

Does plant-based gelatin work, or does it have to be usual animal-based gelatin ?
I have no idea.

Try some experiments and then tell us your results.  :)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)