Author Topic: brown cherrys with trackball keyboard  (Read 2678 times)

Offline Eclairz

brown cherrys with trackball keyboard
« on: Fri, 06 June 2008, 10:29:23 »
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/chihdar7/article?mid=148

They seemed to open up all sorts of keyboard, but this took my interest, brown cherrys i think (image is not clear its brown but it ain't clear its black either) and a built in trackball, and a numpad above it, sounds like a good combo for space conscious, unless you like to have your keyboard up against your screen all the time (bad for your eyes)

edit: And for the curious among you i saw this grey cherry keyswitch?

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/chihdar7/article?mid=665

And light blue ones too, + super rare white keyswitches

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/chihdar7/article?mid=172
Lenovo ThinkPad TrackPoint Keyboard
RealForce 45g UK 88UB
FILCO Majestouch TenKeyPad

Offline Ulysses31

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 June 2008, 11:41:08 »
Those grey ones you linked to look black to me.  Perhaps it's just my eyes.  The white ones look a little bit strange too; they don't carry the Cherry logo so perhaps they're fakes?  I have seen white cherry switches so I know they exist but those ones look a bit suspect.  That Compaq keyboard is nice though, there's no denying that.

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 June 2008, 11:46:34 »
grey spacebar switch i meant, cherry spacebars are usually different, like the green keyswitches in the g80-3000 blue clickies
RealForce 45g UK 88UB

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 June 2008, 11:54:57 »
The grey Cherry switch is just like the black one (linear action) except it requires a stronger force to be depressed. So it's normally used for the space bar, as in the photo. I have a black linear Cherry board (similar to the one shown except it has a trackpad instead of the trackball and it's all black) and it had a grey switch too below the space bar.

Regarding the white ones, I have a board that uses those exact same switches. They are clicky, and I quite liked it except that (I think due to the usage from the previous owners) some of them lost part or all of their "clickiness" and have become pretty much linear now.

Just like those in the photos, my Cherry whites do not have the brand on them, so they're either fakes or a very old model (maybe at that time Cherry did not put their brand on them?!).

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline zetan

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 June 2008, 17:57:22 »
Quote from: Eclairz;5190
grey spacebar switch i meant, cherry spacebars are usually different, like the green keyswitches in the g80-3000 blue clickies

Das Keyboard II has a green switch for the space bar too.
It was okay for a few days of use, but it increasingly became uncomfortable
that I had to replace the green switch with a cherry blue on a rarely used key.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 June 2008, 23:26:16 »
What was so different about it? Why was the green switch so bad?

Offline Eclairz

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 06:09:33 »
green switch is louder and with a different tonality to it as well, but i dont mind its kind of an indicator for new words for me
RealForce 45g UK 88UB

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 October 2008, 18:41:41 »
Regarding the white ones, I have a board that uses those exact same switches. They are clicky, and I quite liked it except that (I think due to the usage from the previous owners) some of them lost part or all of their "clickiness" and have become pretty much linear now.

xyzzy -- I just found out one of my boards is exactly this. white MX pcb mount, clickey. Mine were on a qtronix kt-305 which I had assumed had blues (not the case). They're not bad in feel, but how are they different from blues?

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 October 2008, 04:47:53 »
Quote from: wellington1869;9842
xyzzy -- I just found out one of my boards is exactly this. white MX pcb mount, clickey. Mine were on a qtronix kt-305 which I had assumed had blues (not the case). They're not bad in feel, but how are they different from blues?

I have no direct experience on Chery blues so I can't really comment on the difference. From the pics in the page you linked to in another post, it seems that they have a different spring and maybe the "hump" on the whites is more pronounced.

So my guess is that the whites could offer a bit more resistance than the blues, but as I said, I have no way to compare the two directly.

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 October 2008, 04:50:03 »
ok thanks. I'll post a comparison with the blues in the review section soon as I get my DAS...

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3