Author Topic: Hello World!  (Read 1382 times)

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
Hello World!
« on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 11:21:35 »
I wouldn't say that I'm obsessed with good design and/or good engineering. Rather, I'd say that I have a deep appreciation for both and because I have to spend so much time in front of my computer, programming, deep in analytical work or otherwise interacting with the world at large, I have a particular appreciation for well designed and well engineered peripherals. Sometimes, the arrival of that new peripheral is the spark that you need to find your work interesting again. Sometimes, that new peripheral just works so well that every time you use it, work feels new again because you're reminded by the quality of it's physical and aesthetic design, that when everything matters the result can be quite pleasant (particularly when the world is saturated with uninspired, but certainly cost-effective products).

- BS and MA in Mathematics.
- Minored in English.
- Currently working as a Statistical Analyst & Adjunct professor of Statistics.

- BonaFides:
- Apple Aluminum (collecting dust, the design drew me in but my hands just find it awkward - too, I do all of my Work work on a PC and, even though I got the drivers loaded & etc. it never felt like as convenient as a PC keyboard).
- Leopold (+TK) Mx Brown (my current workhorse).
- Filco MJ2 (+TK) Red (collecting dust... I don't know how I talked myself into the reds after working on the browns but I did and I just wound up hating the red switches - also, a couple of keys - one of which was the "up" arrow - pinged a bit too loudly for me to ignore. I know that sounds picky to some people, but once I heard it I could never again ignore it.).

Note: I could only return to my Leopold (+TK/brown) after clipping the cherry stabilizers out: I'm only discussing my preferences here, of course (I know some people love cherry stabilizers) but they weren't for me: they always felt like they were working against the switch and I believe that a stabilizer is working best (Costar) when it does its job invisibly.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Hello World!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 11:22:51 »
Stalkers have "appreciation" for the people they follow. :D

Welcome to geekhack!

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 11:34:18 »
You need to expand on your quantitative analysis into more qualitative work, obviously.  Just two switch types tried so far?  Pshht!  How can you draw any conclusions with a data set so small?   :p

Welcome to the community!

Offline korrelate

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 11:42:02 »
LMAO... Honestly, I gave that thought some very brief consideration: when I first got into mechanicals, my mind really did "go there" for about a minute. I thought about a full factorial experiment, and quickly realized that unless I was going to start a business focused solely on keyboards there's now way I could justify the time. My wife would just kill me. Seriously. LOL. But probably while I was sleeping. :))

Topre REALFORCE

Offline korrelate

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 11:46:30 »
And the funny thing is I have no idea why I followed such a circuitous route to get to the blues (that's my next keyboard). I immediately connected with the feel of the blues when I came across a Razer Blackwidow ("ultimate" or some such model) in the local BestBuy, but I just couldn't get past Razer's aesthetics. And amazon didn't have the Filco Blue, and then I thought, "Maybe a quieter key would be more appropriate." Whatever. I am all about the blue switches at the moment.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 11:48:21 »
Blues, represent. You should also try buckling springs in a Model M if you get the chance. They can be had for fairly cheap on occasion.

Offline korrelate

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 11:49:01 »
Stalkers have "appreciation" for the people they follow. :D

Welcome to geekhack!

"Anonemoose..." LOL... Thanks for rolling out the welcome wagon.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline korrelate

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 11:53:16 »
Blues, represent. You should also try buckling springs in a Model M if you get the chance. They can be had for fairly cheap on occasion.

I don't remember everything about my first computer, but it was an IBM, this was back in the mid 90s, it had a 20MB hard drive, WordPerfect 6.0 and it came with a buckling spring keyboard (I worked in the computer lab during college and "liberated" it during a lab upgrade). I remembered the buckling spring experience and the tank-like build quality, but those keys were just a little too much of a work out for my tastes.. and the reds, geez, they are just the other end of the spectrum.

Topre REALFORCE