Author Topic: g80 3800 or ducky zero blue?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline policymaker

g80 3800 or ducky zero blue?
« on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:41:25 »
So I really want to buy a MX cherry blue keyboard. Im currently using a ducky 1087 green alps. It serves its purpose, but I believe that the build quality isnt that good, mainly because my left shift button always made a spring/buckly noise, like metal, which I honestly dont think is good at all. It works perfectly, but im just really into both the tactile feeling and clicky noise of cherry MX blue boards, and I really want to buy one. Some buttons have different switches beneath as well(like the TAB one). That meaning I hope these two boards I chose have mx blue at the big keys too, like TAB and shift. So, my choices are like:

The ducky zero(the pics show black switches but title says otherwise)

cherry g80  38000

Now, I have seen a lot of ducky recommendations, but Im honestly not thrilled about its build quality, regarding the "metal" sound of the left shift button, the right one actually sounds as you would expect. The main problem with that is that I play a lot of games, especially starcraft, so a sturdy, solid left shift button is a real neccessity for me. Is the ducky zero build quality ok, or should I choose the cherry g80? Letters engraving method, PCB twisting and such is no issue for me because I do not stress my keyboard or abuse it in any way.

Theres also a xarmor U9 with blue switches but its out of stock... dont know about that though. Thanx in advance for ur help every1.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:54:35 by policymaker »

Offline nsrexler

Re: g80 3800 or ducky zero blue?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 14:54:47 »
Ducky build quality has gotten a lot better since the 1087 came out. They've gone from being a bottom-of-the-barrel budget option to being a really high quality keyboard manufacturer, in my opinion on par with some of the bigger names like Filco. I've never used the Ducky Zero, but I've heard that it's a very good keyboard for the price.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:15:58 »
Yes, Ducky build quality has come a long way, but even the XM 'Alps' boards were total crap compared to the MX 1087's. G80-3000 only has 2KRO which can be a problem in certain game genre. Might not be so big of a deal if you are mainly an RTS'r but definitely something you need to consider. Stay far away from xarmor.

Offline policymaker

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:22:52 »
wow you seem quite positive about the ducky choice. You think I might have a problem with certain keys? Im really worried about the big keys. shift tab spacebar etc, in the ducky zero. I mean they should wear the MX blues as well right? Why does pc home have black switches in its pics? It should be some kind of error right? It says blue switches in the title.

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:25:05 »
It's probably just the wrong picture on the website.
Where are you located? PCHome is usually not the best place to order from unless you're located in Asia or you want some particular product that's not offered anywhere else.

Offline policymaker

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:30:27 »
Im from Greece. I have ordered from pchome before, EMS unfortunately took like 20 something days for the delivery, which I find pretty crappy since singapore post needed JUST 10 days to deliver an android phone. But as long as the board is OK im fine with it... I really dont have any other option, maybe amazon uk but their lack of quality keyboards is disturbing. You see, I want a US/EU keyboard layout(GB has a smaller shift button), with blue MX switches, for no more than 70€.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:33:25 by policymaker »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:38:15 »
Might take a look at these choice too. It's a really good vendor, and knows how to minimize any additional customs or taxes too.

Offline policymaker

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:49:21 »
Might take a look at these choice too. It's a really good vendor, and knows how to minimize any additional customs or taxes too.

wow thank you very much. i tried looking in the vendors section in forum, but most seemed to sell US only so I gave up. How good are HPE keyboards? I take it vendio seller is good enough to have a section in here

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 May 2013, 15:55:56 »
I have had no personal experience with the HPE, but there are some around that have that I think most seem to say are satisfactory, try looking in reviews or searching through this keyboard forum for any comments about them. qtan whose shop I linked to is a reputable seller, and an active member around here.