Author Topic: Topre Realforce ...without a restocking fee?  (Read 2486 times)

Offline NYCesquire

Topre Realforce ...without a restocking fee?
« on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 15:52:24 »
Anyone know where I can purchase  a Topre Realforce without a restocking fee?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Topre Realforce ...without a restocking fee?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 15:56:41 »
Ummmm... what? What exactly are you referring to, "restocking fee"?

The only two places I know of to purchase a Realforce in the US are elitekeyboards.com and thekeyboardco.com (although the keyboard co is based in England and it's a bit expensive for us Yanks).

Offline NYCesquire

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 15:58:01 »
I refer to a return fee, often in the neighborhood of $15%

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 15:59:14 »
Then Elitekeyboards. They don't even allow returns.

If you're worried about not liking it, just sell it in the classifieds here (or possibly on Deskthority). You can usually get close to what you paid for it.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 16:07:12 »
Then Elitekeyboards. They don't even allow returns.

If you're worried about not liking it, just sell it in the classifieds here (or possibly on Deskthority). You can usually get close to what you paid for it.

Definitely sounds like he just wants to try it.  If he's worried about a $15 restocking fee, he is going to lose at least that much by trying to flip it in the classifieds.

Offline mauri

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 16:11:09 »
That's unfortunate, I have the opportunity just to walk into a store and test a realforce :D
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 16:13:46 »
Well, if we ever have our NYC meet-up, he can try one of my Realforce or HHKB Pro 2 keyboards. 
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline NYCesquire

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 16:48:40 »
I would like to try it, and keep it.  But only if I like it.  For the record, it's a 15% restocking fee, which comes to more than $15. sorry for the typo.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 16:55:50 »
I would like to try it, and keep it.  But only if I like it.  For the record, it's a 15% restocking fee, which comes to more than $15. sorry for the typo.

As an attorney, I guess you are naturally risk-averse, but my advice is to just buy one.

And if you do your own typing then get the Realforce 87U variable silent one.  You won't regret it, especially if you do a lot of typing.  I just typed a 65 page brief on mine, and I love it.  I also use a Realforce 87U 45g uniform, and a HHKB Pro 2 Type-S.  They are all great.  The hardest part I guess after you buy one, will be not buying more Topre keyboards.  Also, if you use it for work, it's tax deductible.  ;D  And you reduce the chance of carpal tunnel syndrome.  lelz.

Offline NYCesquire

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 17:15:19 »

As an attorney, I guess you are naturally risk-averse, but my advice is to just buy one.

Hah. Get out of my head, you!

Maybe I should learn the difference between the 104 key models first.  Are there differently-weighted keyboards? Variable weights on the same board?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 17:22:38 »
Yes. The RF Variable has 45g, 40g, and 35g weighted keys. The escape key is weighted at 55g. I've never tried a variable, but apparently they're pretty primo for typists.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 17:28:09 »
Hmm, well, you don't really need the 104-key model.  The 87 key, or TKL size is better, since it puts the mouse closer to your right hand.  Less movement = less fatigue.  You can get a separate number pad, if you do a lot of numerical computations.  As for the models, the Variable weighted model, i.e., this one:  http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se070s, is a great bargain at only $265. 

For more info on the variable weighted keys, look here:  http://deskthority.net/wiki/Realforce.  Basically the pinky fingers keys are lighter, and the middle keys are heavier.  It really helps when typing a lot, in terms of fatigue.  Even my uniform 45g gets tiring after 30 pages.  But the variable is much easier on the hands and fingers.

Offline mauri

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 17:37:27 »
Hmm, well, you don't really need the 104-key model.  The 87 key, or TKL size is better, since it puts the mouse closer to your right hand.  Less movement = less fatigue.  You can get a separate number pad, if you do a lot of numerical computations.  As for the models, the Variable weighted model, i.e., this one:  http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se070s, is a great bargain at only $265. 

For more info on the variable weighted keys, look here:  http://deskthority.net/wiki/Realforce.  Basically the pinky fingers keys are lighter, and the middle keys are heavier.  It really helps when typing a lot, in terms of fatigue.  Even my uniform 45g gets tiring after 30 pages.  But the variable is much easier on the hands and fingers.

How does having your mouse 10 cm your right opposed to 10 to left change anything? :D Maybe I'm just weird because regardless whether I'm using a tkl or not the keyboard and mouse remain at the exact same spot and distance.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 17:42:33 »
He means that all that space taken up by the 10-key can be utilized by your mouse/mouse pad, so you don't have to move your arm as far to reach the mouse.

Better for ergonomics.

Offline mauri

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 17:48:54 »
He means that all that space taken up by the 10-key can be utilized by your mouse/mouse pad, so you don't have to move your arm as far to reach the mouse.

Better for ergonomics.

;; perhaps, I keep my keyboards at a vertical angle (sideways?) so keypad is never in the way, don't ask why

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 17:50:34 »
[...] don't ask why

Now that's just not fair. My curiosity is afire

Offline mauri

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 17:58:28 »
[...] don't ask why

Now that's just not fair. My curiosity is afire

Cause vertical is too mainstream

jk actually I don't know why, it just feels natural

Offline NYCesquire

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 19:06:09 »
I am a big 10key user.  I don't even use the top row, really, so I really wouldn't benefit from a TKL.

Really, what I need is an opportunity to test this sucker.  On the variable weighted board, is WASD all the same weight? I can't seem to find a diagram anywhere.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 19:13:27 »
I am a big 10key user.  I don't even use the top row, really, so I really wouldn't benefit from a TKL.

Really, what I need is an opportunity to test this sucker.  On the variable weighted board, is WASD all the same weight? I can't seem to find a diagram anywhere.

WASD aren't the same weight. It's pretty annoying for gaming. But even more than that, it bothered me that the caps lock, shift, and ctrl aren't lighter

Offline NYCesquire

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 19:20:37 »
Bizarre.  Oh well.

I have the attention span of a fruit fly with keyboards anyway.  The search continues...

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 20:21:26 »

I believe the full size 104 keys are only variable weighted at Elite Keyboards you would have to step up to the Hi Pro to get uniform 45g weight. That new model should be nice to do a lot heavy typing, but its a lot more expensive.

Offline jalaj

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 17:41:08 »
Maybe a small local japanese shop in NYC carries a Topre keyboard for you to test out. Otherwise consider a KB meet up to try out other people's keyboards.

The policy to allow customer returns on opened items because of personal dissatisfaction is rare for small business vendors. Technically the item can no longer be sold as new, and if the vendor abides by this premise, then they stand to lose money with reselling many good functional returns as used items. This can be an big impact on overall sales for a vendor with a relatively small number of SKUs versus a big box store with hundreds of thousands of SKUs.

Costco/Target/Walmart, for instance, can stomach your returns on used items. But a small mom n pop store would probably be like, "WTF, no!"
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 17:44:17 by jalaj »