Author Topic: Can't find a good volume OSD :-(  (Read 1361 times)

Offline FoxWolf1

Can't find a good volume OSD :-(
« on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 16:44:20 »
Hi all,
I'm trying to find an on-screen volume display program for Windows 7, but haven't been able to find anything acceptable. Here are the requirements:
-Must be minimal. I want something that gives me a little bar that pops up when I change the volume using the media control on my keyboard and nothing else. As a general guideline, if your suggestion is using more than, say, 3MB of memory, it's probably not minimal enough. Don't suggest something with different "skins", systems for setting keys to control the volume, etc.
-Must work under 64-bit Windows with 100% reliability.
-Must be able to start automatically when I boot Windows.
-For any change I make to the volume, there must be some visible change in the OSD (the little tray icon that's built into Windows fails pretty hard on this one).
-Must not cause full-screen games to lag or minimize when I change the volume, or otherwise interfere with my ability to adjust the volume while gaming.
-Must be free.
Something like this shouldn't be so hard to find, but apparently it is. :( Any suggestions?
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can't find a good volume OSD :-(
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 17:55:12 »
The likelihood of you finding an OSD for volume that will display changes in volume that aren't enacted through that programs interface is very near zero.

Otherwise there's one buried in an AHK thread here that I use regularly.  It uses the standard Win Media keys and you can of course use other hotkeys since it's just an AHK script.  However my system reports 3.9MB used.  I do have a few other hotkeys set but I doubt removing them would bring it in under 3MB.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Larken

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:12:08 »
3RVX
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 00:26:04 »
I have a Dinovo edge keyboard (not using it anymore) that has media controls and one of them is a slider for the volume. When I change the volume with it, I see "green bars" on my screen that does not interfere with anything.

Sadly, I don't know any program that does it, but if it was built-in in this keyboard, it must exist!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 04:05:50 »
Use win8 its got that in by default now