Author Topic: Keycap shine... FILCO and other Cherry MX keycaps  (Read 1303 times)

Offline ShivaYash

Keycap shine... FILCO and other Cherry MX keycaps
« on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 16:58:31 »
Dear all,

I have been using the FILCO (full sized) now for about six months or so. I utterly love it. The number pad annoys me a little but I do use it fairly often so prefer to have it, than not.

The key caps are beginning to shiny nicely now, I always took this to be a sign of honour, look at me, I am someone with a lot to say! But I am interested in upgrading the keycaps on the FILCO. I am a Mac user so would like thick PCT key caps with my Mac needs. Media keys for the top row would be ideal, including command and other Mac specific items. I'll have to look at my old iMac keyboard to make a list of customised caps required.

But I think, surely I cannot be the only person here who loves mechanical KBs and uses a Mac? What do others do about converting Windows keyboards to Mac keyboards, physically I mean, the swapping of keycaps etc.

Is this a company someone can recommend, who don't charge the Earth for replacement keycaps, for full sized boards? I know WASD offer keycaps and in fact I purchased some from them originally, however the quality of their plastic is disappointing at best. I would not want the thin keycaps they provide littering my keyboard. The service I received from them was very good, a shame the products I purchased weren't up to scratch for my personal tastes.

I am quite keen on colour coding my board and often see others on here with shift, control etc in one colour, and the lettered keys in another. I would like something professionally looking, I intend to use this board for a long time, but equally, not black because that is a little boring, and once the keys start to shine, it looks terrible.

Many thanks, and apologies for this long rant-like post.

IBM Model M SSK, HHKB Pro 2 BT and Realforce 104U HiPro

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Keycap shine... FILCO and other Cherry MX keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 17:00:46 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43328.0

You have to spend some money to get quality items. PBT are known to resist that shine. And right now, these are a good price for a set. These will be nice because they will have white (off-white) alphanumeric keys with beige mods, and a slew of color/language combos to choose from.

Offline GeoTang

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 18:09:57 »
You'll want PBT but it'll be tough to find an existing set that fits both your color preferences and MAC specific text.
You could try drafting up your own set.

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 18:18:50 »
Thanks for the heads up on this one, I'm after darker colour caps... but may go with this if a sample may be seen by photograph.
IBM Model M SSK, HHKB Pro 2 BT and Realforce 104U HiPro