Author Topic: New Noppoo, Key failure problem  (Read 805 times)

Offline jimmybeam

New Noppoo, Key failure problem
« on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 00:00:00 »
I have a new Noppoo Choc Mini with red switches, got it back in December.  The keyboard's been great so far, yesterday I noticed that when I used the two key it would sometimes register TWO number twos.  I didn't think anything of it, tonight I noticed that when using the key it would sometimes not register at all, after pressing the key multiple times to get the stroke to register I removed the keycap and cleaned the surface with some alcohol.  As of now, the key doesn't work at all.

The keyboard has been in a moderately temperate room, has never had anything spilled on it, has never been submersed in or cleaned with water.  It is very peculiar to me that one key has stopped working, its definitely a key I use often but not the most by far of course.  Every other key and function of the keyboard work properly, any thoughts or ideas here?

Cheers

Offline Surnia

Re: New Noppoo, Key failure problem
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 May 2013, 22:45:15 »
Unfortunately that sounds like a standard issue of a bad switch. It just needs to be replaced, which requires some soldering work.

if you're feeling adventurous, you can probably take it apart and try to figure out what's wrong. From what I've seen inside switches, it could be as simple as a contact leaf being bent funny and it no longer rests properly on the arms of the stem.

I've also found that some switches are very sensitive to the stability of the switch case; blues will not click properly at all if the top is loose or off centre.

You can also clean the tip of the leaf (the little bump on its middle) with an eraser or wipe it with alcohol to see if it helps with connectivity.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black