Author Topic: White keycaps for ALPS switches  (Read 4728 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
White keycaps for ALPS switches
« on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 13:33:51 »
I'm trying to build a custom keyboard with ALPS switches, it will be all white and I'd like to put pure white keycaps on it.

What would be in your opinion the best keyboard to source white ALPS keycaps? I was thinking of the Apple Extended Keyboard II, any other idea?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: White keycaps for ALPS switches
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 14:53:27 »
I have not seen "pure white" Alps key caps, all of mine have been what Unicomp calls "pearl" .....

The PBT caps on old Apples are nice, but the legends are very "different" and you would need the complete consistent set. (I have bought a couple of the horrible "Apple Design" keyboards with nice Alps compatible caps, but I understand that they are not all like that)

Dell AT101s have an ABS, IBM ANSI-standard color set, that are OK but not great.

Others like Northgates and Focus have some really nice doubleshots but are not all ANSI-standard.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 18:33:23 »
What if you put some of those pad printed ones in chlorine diluted at >10, not too long to get them brittled?
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 02:14:04 »
yeah I know "pure white" is difficult, well at least the whiter as possible :)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 03:08:54 »
If "ivory" is okay, you could probably get a lot of them from a Focus FK-9200 rubber dome.  They're doubleshots and the board's rubber-dome with ALPS-compatible sliders.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 08:29:16 »
I pulled out an old Packard Bell with some fairly nice Alps-compatible caps that are nearly white.

They are lasered ABS and are showing just a bit of shine on some of the keys in the center row, but very presentable.

I will sell you the set for $15 shipped domestic, but note that there are oddities (eg bigass Enter and 1.25 Escape).

edit - Oh, I see that you are in Italy. Shipping will be about $24, let me check on it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 May 2013, 08:34:03 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:48:48 »
I pulled out an old Packard Bell with some fairly nice Alps-compatible caps that are nearly white.

They are lasered ABS and are showing just a bit of shine on some of the keys in the center row, but very presentable.

I will sell you the set for $15 shipped domestic, but note that there are oddities (eg bigass Enter and 1.25 Escape).

edit - Oh, I see that you are in Italy. Shipping will be about $24, let me check on it.

wow, that's really white! thanks for your offer. All I'd need are the keys and the stabilizers (both the stems and the metal wire), I don't actually need the keyboard (if that helps with postage expenses).

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:22:35 »
I will need to check with the Post Office to see what shipping will be for the key set.

The long keys have rectangular openings for the tabs that hold stabilizer wires, but no stabilizer clips or wires, except for the spacebar.

When I first gave the keyboard a quick test, it seemed alright and I did not even notice a difference in feel on those keys.
- Jimmy Carter 2015