Author Topic: 102 Blue ALPS  (Read 3863 times)

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
102 Blue ALPS
« on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 23:04:56 »
If I wasn't broke I wouldn't tell you all about this  :p
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Complicated-Blue-Alps-Switches-/181139015167?
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 May 2013, 23:08:15 by tipo33 »
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline REVENGE

Re: 102 Blue ALPS
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 01:30:44 »
Holy grial!
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 09:03:19 »
 ;)
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 August 2013, 04:30:49 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 09:14:42 »
The seller of those blue alps must be awesome  :cool:

Awesomely rich, soon.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Infallible

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 09:54:06 »
These go for a lot? I found a keyboard with them at a thrift store. How much are they worth?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 15:33:41 »
These go for a lot? I found a keyboard with them at a thrift store. How much are they worth?
I've not tried them, but fol ALPS fans, the complicated blue ALPS are said to be quite good.

This would be good for a custom keyboard, or that new ALPS king saver thing korea has.

I eventually want to try ALPS again. My experiences with montereys and clones has not been good.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 15:42:32 »
Dat shipping XD

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 16:29:01 »
Shipping is crazy...
SmallFry! <3

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 16:37:29 »
Shipping is crazy...

Don't complain too much. A flat rate international envelope is not $11 like it used to be .....

I will pull a set of keycaps to reduce domestic shipping from $16 to $5, if that is all the seller wants, but un-soldering 100+ switches is quite a chore.

I don't know what your hourly rate is, but there had to be a couple of hours' work there, in addition to the original price of the complete board.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 17:13:59 »
102 switches is not a lot to desolder. That takes me roughly 25 minutes, an that's if I'm taking my time to get all the solder off, instead of just freeing the switch.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 10:57:14 »
Just 6 hours to go  :confused:
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 May 2013, 11:22:57 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:21:33 »
I'm the seller of the switches, and I just got a email from the winning bidder that didn't read well about the shipping and he pulled back, so the switches are still available.
Damn rookies.

I'll wait for some offers a while until I relist them in ebay. Just PM me.

Cheers.

PD: THey're complicated a 100% sure, I opened them and confirmed it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:33:16 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 18:24:53 »
Blue Alps, the new vintage blacks! keep hype alive

Offline poxeclipse

• Hit me with music ... yes, me friend
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 18:15:48 »
I'm the seller of the switches, and I just got a email from the winning bidder that didn't read well about the shipping and he pulled back, so the switches are still available.
Damn rookies.

I'll wait for some offers a while until I relist them in ebay. Just PM me.

Cheers.

PD: THey're complicated a 100% sure, I opened them and confirmed it.

So, you are the awesome guy. Good to know.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 19:14:37 »
If a lame "sale" falls through, re-list at more than double the highest previous invalid bid. Good plan.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 20:47:50 »
If a lame "sale" falls through, re-list at more than double the highest previous invalid bid. Good plan.

Nah, it's a lame plan as you said. I've got to try anyway. Some chicony kb with blue alps recently was sold at 250 to a german collector, why not aim to that price? I've got some cheap complicated whites that'd go for pennies, but those blues are special. Anyway I'm willing to sell it at a much lesser price or similar, to members of the forum if I get some serious offer, but I haven't just yet. Seriously, no offer at all, and there's a whole buzz about those blues in various posts. Just contact me through PM. I also offered it through IRC and got no results, appart from some unconclusive droolings. Ebay users must pay a premium because of the commisions, but I'm also a member of this community that I like pretty much, and plan to stick to it to learn about kbs, sell or buy stuff,  and can make good deals for both the buyer and me and everybody could be happy, because the price is not fixed.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:05:17 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 21:32:54 »
Most likely the issue is that those who know they are nice have them and don't need any.  Everyone else is like... they can't be THAT nice.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline calavera

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 22:09:26 »

Nah, it's a lame plan as you said. I've got to try anyway. Some chicony kb with blue alps recently was sold at 250 to a german collector, why not aim to that price? I've got some cheap complicated whites that'd go for pennies, but those blues are special. Anyway I'm willing to sell it at a much lesser price or similar, to members of the forum if I get some serious offer, but I haven't just yet. Seriously, no offer at all, and there's a whole buzz about those blues in various posts. Just contact me through PM. I also offered it through IRC and got no results, appart from some unconclusive droolings. Ebay users must pay a premium because of the commisions, but I'm also a member of this community that I like pretty much, and plan to stick to it to learn about kbs, sell or buy stuff,  and can make good deals for both the buyer and me and everybody could be happy, because the price is not fixed.

Are you mad? Didn't you get flak over at deskthority for promoting your ebay deal there?

The $250 keyboard went for that much because it actually has collective value: A full keyboard in very good condition. You're selling just switches. And yet you want to aim for the same price? I don't understand your logic.

Blue alps are rare, but it's a small niche market and you're putting the switches on a pedestal thinking they're some kind of unicorn that ****s rainbows.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 22:24:56 »

Are you mad? Didn't you get flak over at deskthority for promoting your ebay deal there?

The $250 keyboard went for that much because it actually has collective value: A full keyboard in very good condition. You're selling just switches. And yet you want to aim for the same price? I don't understand your logic.

Blue alps are rare, but it's a small niche market and you're putting the switches on a pedestal thinking they're some kind of unicorn that ****s rainbows.

I didn't start the topic in this forum btw.

Rare item, offer and demand. If it doesn't work, I lower the price, that's the logic, pretty simple. I'd sell them for less, it's just an auction. I don't get why some people get ofended by the price, as you could offer less if you're interested, for instance, not that you're, and there wouldn't be any hassle around it. I've some nice body for those alps I was keeping for myself if that's the case, and could solder the alps to it btw.

It's not that I'm forcing one to buy those switches, if somebody is interested he/she should know what is getting into, and probably the one buying them would.
And those blue alps are indeed some unicorn ****, for the one who knows all about them.
One could look for the kb and harvest them, but I sell them ready and done, desoldered and that's got a price too. Not worth to you, that's fine, maybe it's for another folk. And if it ain't working, price get's lowered and so on.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 22:27:22 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline calavera

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 22:36:03 »
I'm not offended by anything. You can sell for for whatever you like. I'm just not understanding your logic behind buy now of $250. The bid that fell through was $108ish? What makes you think doubling up will help sales? If anything I would put starting bid at somewhere around $90 and let it go from there.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 22:41:30 »
I'm not offended by anything. You can sell for for whatever you like. I'm just not understanding your logic behind buy now of $250. The bid that fell through was $108ish? What makes you think doubling up will help sales? If anything I would put starting bid at somewhere around $90 and let it go from there.

Ah, fair enough. I didn't responded completely, my bad. It wasn't as whimsical as you may've imagined. I prefer to go from a higher price down to a lower one. I took five facts to put it a higher price: price of similar auctions, number of watchers interested (you'd get surprised how many it got last time), buzz around the forums and not only this (you'd get an idea with the page views of this topic, 600+), rarity of the item. It was the first time I listed the item and already it got a nice price, that counts too. I know I'd sell them instantly at 100, that's why, but I prefer to put a higher price tag and wait a week or two if it gets me a nicer chunk. If it would've gotten bad results I'd have had to lower the price already, but reality turned out different. Furthermore, I could sell them for less to somebody I know or through the forum, anything that happens first and that I'm comfortable with.

Anyway, theory weights nothing, let see how it goes, but I've experience in auctions. I've been a seller in some site similar to ebay in my country for 7 years and most hunches worked for me after 5 years or so selling stuff.

Probably I wouldn't sell them to a forum member though, because here people are pretty knowleadgable to get their own stuff, in respect to soldering and whatnot, etc. but not all people have the time to go and seek around keyboards for weeks or moths, and the alps community is not as big as cherry for instance. And as somebody said already, probably the ones that do appreciate them well enough, already have them, the others haven't probably know them because the aren't that common. The blue ones existed for a short time frame, then they replaced it with white complicated alps. Almost to all alps collectors out there, the only missing switch is the blue cm, just ask around or search the forums. That's the reason I'm posting it in ebay too, to get a worldwide reach.

As for their feeling, they're the sweetest alps switch made ever. Period. That's how good they are. I'm no desperate to sell them, I prefer to keep them if I do not get them sold for a price I'm comfortable with.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 May 2013, 00:37:28 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
double post, sorry.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 22:43:49 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 22:48:57 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 00:05:44 »
We are capable of soldering and do enjoy doing it.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 00:09:19 »
We are capable of soldering and do enjoy doing it.

Me too, and I love going through vintage electronics and testing its components, cleaning stuff and making it work to see it as new. I love the design and engineering of well made products and thrive to apparently unimportant details. I think in the forum we are all a little like that.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 00:13:28 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 05:39:07 »
If I wasn't in the middle of a move, I would make an offer.  Sadly with my current situation, this is not possible.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 07:39:09 »
If I was more flush with cash, I might be willing to spend something approaching $80-100 delivered and transplant the switches into a good frame such as a Dell AT101, but I have a large backlog of projects as well.

The process of starting high and dropping incrementally IS the best way to get the best price, unless you can whip emotional buyers into a bidding war.

I do not doubt that you got dozens of watchers (such as myself) from this forum. When I "watch" I am usually curious for a price check rather than marking it for a future purchase.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:59:37 »
 :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 May 2013, 00:26:46 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps