Author Topic: Matias switch and Orange ALPS  (Read 2979 times)

Offline simingma

Matias switch and Orange ALPS
« on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 04:08:00 »
I have a thought: if i get a matias laptop pro can I swap the matias quiet switches out for my favorite orange ALPS? Are the pins/plate mount compatible?

Thx

Offline jksteger

Re: Matias switch and Orange ALPS
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 06:59:34 »
To my knowledge they are compatible.  However, i would give the quiet switches a run for a week or two first.  I have 4 Apple Extended Keyboards with Orange Alps; they were my favorite boards.  They are all sitting in a box now that I have a Matias Quiet Pro.  The switches in the Matias are so much better, smooth as silk and even though they are "quiet" they are still not silent quiet.  They feel like the Orange switches in the AEK that simply grew up and got better.

At least to me. :)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 07:54:15 »
Short answer: Yes, they are pin compatible
Long answer:  Yes, they are.......pin compatible.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline simingma

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:02:18 »
To my knowledge they are compatible.  However, i would give the quiet switches a run for a week or two first.  I have 4 Apple Extended Keyboards with Orange Alps; they were my favorite boards.  They are all sitting in a box now that I have a Matias Quiet Pro.  The switches in the Matias are so much better, smooth as silk and even though they are "quiet" they are still not silent quiet.  They feel like the Orange switches in the AEK that simply grew up and got better.

If that's the case, I think I will give them a try. I had tried AEK IIs before with Creams and I wasn't impressed by the extra resistance compared to Orange. That's why I have been debating myself over a Laptop Pro. I just love its layout and wireless so much. Bottom line, I've been getting ghosting problem with my AEK so really need a Laptop Pro's n-key rollover. Thanks!

Offline simingma

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 14:03:35 »
Short answer: Yes, they are pin compatible
Long answer:  Yes, they are.......pin compatible.

Lol. Are the two types of switches socket compatible? will the Orange sit nicely on matias' plate?

Offline jksteger

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 16:35:20 »

If that's the case, I think I will give them a try. I had tried AEK IIs before with Creams and I wasn't impressed by the extra resistance compared to Orange. That's why I have been debating myself over a Laptop Pro. I just love its layout and wireless so much. Bottom line, I've been getting ghosting problem with my AEK so really need a Laptop Pro's n-key rollover. Thanks!

the AEK II and the AEK are almost two different worlds.  ;D
I had an AEK II that I liked better than the Dell 101 with blacks but the minute I started using an AEK with Oranges the AEKII almost went into the trash, LOL.

I thought they were the absolute best...until....I received my Matias Quiet Pro! I was like... :eek: OMG!!!

I would give them a try for about a week or two and see how you like them.  If you want to go back to the Oranges then that's always an option!

J.

Offline simingma

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 17:02:22 »

the AEK II and the AEK are almost two different worlds.  ;D
I had an AEK II that I liked better than the Dell 101 with blacks but the minute I started using an AEK with Oranges the AEKII almost went into the trash, LOL.

I thought they were the absolute best...until....I received my Matias Quiet Pro! I was like... :eek: OMG!!!

I would give them a try for about a week or two and see how you like them.  If you want to go back to the Oranges then that's always an option!

J.

Yea. Totally agree with you. When I saw how Matias marketed Quiet switches and their sayings about bringing back AEK II... I thought WTF?!

I will give them a try! Ordered Laptop Pro from Matias.