Author Topic: In the market for a new keyboard w/ numpad  (Read 1613 times)

Offline Jeci

In the market for a new keyboard w/ numpad
« on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 07:31:07 »
Hi Guys,

I'm in the market for a new keyboard - I've got the itch and am looking at off loading my tenkeyless majestouch.

Looking for something with switches similar in feel to mx blues and i'm a little out of touch with what's the latest and greatest... Budget wise I'm pretty flexbile!

Cheers,

Jeci  ;D

Offline BlueBär

Re: In the market for a new keyboard w/ numpad
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 08:41:58 »
Well a logical choice would be a full-sized Filco if you don't want any special features. If you like blues you might also like greens (which are not available on a Filco by default), they're a bit heavier than blues but otherwise the same. If you would like a little less noisy and clicky switch, maybe browns or clears. However, you could also go for blues again. Maybe get a test kit from WASD to try browns? They don't have clears or greens though.

Or you could of course get a Model M. Heavier and you will bottom out (the activation is at the bottom), but clicky and loud.

Offline Jeci

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 08:53:12 »
Well a logical choice would be a full-sized Filco if you don't want any special features. If you like blues you might also like greens (which are not available on a Filco by default), they're a bit heavier than blues but otherwise the same. If you would like a little less noisy and clicky switch, maybe browns or clears. However, you could also go for blues again. Maybe get a test kit from WASD to try browns? They don't have clears or greens though.

Or you could of course get a Model M. Heavier and you will bottom out (the activation is at the bottom), but clicky and loud.

Thanks for your response, I've currently got a filco w/ brows and whilst I do like it I would prefer something a little more tactile (mx blues?).

I've owned a Model-M in the past as well and for me this was by far the best typing experience I've had so far, but it's just too big/ugly for me... So in an ideal world I'd love a Model M in a different casing :P

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 09:04:07 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 09:35:35 »
Cooler Master has some refurbished QF Pro keyboards on offer:

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/quickfire-pro-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-refurbished/

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 11:59:51 »
Well, since you're in the UK, you can't go wrong with one of these. Should be fairly fast shipping, too :)

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 12:32:29 »
Thanks for your response, I've currently got a filco w/ brows and whilst I do like it I would prefer something a little more tactile (mx blues?).

I've owned a Model-M in the past as well and for me this was by far the best typing experience I've had so far, but it's just too big/ugly for me... So in an ideal world I'd love a Model M in a different casing :P
Oh I misunderstood, I thought you already had blues. Clears are heavier than browns and have a more pronounced bump, however there are no full sized boards with them available apart from original Cherry G80s I think. But if you already like the Model M and don't have blues yet I would say go for a Filco with blues, see daerids link.

Offline Jeci

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 15:08:44 »
Well, since you're in the UK, you can't go wrong with one of these. Should be fairly fast shipping, too :)

Yeh cheers guys - looks like the best option for me! Thanks for your posts - i've ordered two boards previously from those guys and would definitely buy from them again!

Oh I misunderstood, I thought you already had blues. Clears are heavier than browns and have a more pronounced bump, however there are no full sized boards with them available apart from original Cherry G80s I think. But if you already like the Model M and don't have blues yet I would say go for a Filco with blues, see daerids link.

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 04:31:07 »

He could get the Ducky Shine II with clears ;D http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=296
HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 09:38:29 »
I totally second the Matias suggestion by jdcarpe. And if you wanna go the Ducky Shine route, I think you may want to wait for the Shine III that they have been teasing.