Author Topic: IBM screenreader (buckling spring numberpad)  (Read 17293 times)

Offline RougeR

IBM screenreader (buckling spring numberpad)
« on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 21:37:55 »
the great unveiling, those of you in irc know ive been ribbeting on about it for the past month, anyway i met a guy in an irc chan on rizon he said he found it in a thrift shop, i told him to get it but i doubted it was buckling spring, he then posted a pic of the glorious springs to my disbelief.

so bought it off him (he kept the stop/help keys as well) and its currently with parak who is proxying it as well as trying to open it up and tell me more about the internals.

what we know:
Part NO 1393387 ID NO 0012808 DATE 10APR90
1393387 Unicomp list IBM screen reader keypad PS/2 18

FRU:1393515
Carton.package 6450602 '

Model F barrel with model m membrane, likely used in a telecoms environment, uses ps/2 but does not work over it currently.

hopefully a teensy/soarers mod will get her up and running, will replace all the keycaps with ones from unicomp and remap so i can use her with my m15

anyone whos seen one before, knows of a source for ibm parts via numbers or has more info then please post here

pics:

arrived with parak, these pics courtesy of him :)

Buckling spring warrior!

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
Re: IBM screenreader (buckling spring numberpad)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 21:39:35 »
cool. bet foss would love that one

Offline RougeR

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 21:40:43 »
yeah, shame he aint about much :(, will send him a pm see if he picks it up
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 13 May 2013, 21:48:21 »
I need one of these in my life....
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline EDI

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 04:17:29 »
I like that big HELP button :D

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 06:06:18 »
I have the feeling that this one has been mentioned on Geekhack before, but I can't pin down when and where.
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 06:09:35 »
I have the feeling that this one has been mentioned on Geekhack before, but I can't pin down when and where.

IRC, about 2 years ago, by ch_123 :)
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline REVENGE

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 06:10:14 »

Nice :cool:

I'm posting this here as a quick reference, but it's commonly available info:

--- DISCONTINUED. (Verified 11/2002) RETAINED IN DATABASE FOR REFERENCE. --- The IBM Screen Reader/2 is a voice output program capable of converting screen information to speech to make IBM's Graphical User Interface (GUI) available to persons who are blind or who have visual disabilities. Screen Reader/2 is designed to run with OS/2 Version 2 in all sessions. The Autospeak function monitors the screen and provides voice output of all OS/2 screen information, including messages. A dedicated 18-key keypad controls Screen Reader/2 functions to enhance productivity by reserving the keyboard for application functions. Screen Reader/2 can be controlled from the keyboard as an alternative. Powerful Reading functions allow the user to read complete screens, paragraphs, sentences, words, or letters, reading only the information the user needs. Customized profiles are provided for the most popular programs. By using the Profile Access language, a profile can be modified or created. Build in Host/LAN (Local Area Network) support enables connectivity. The windowing capability provides easy access to many display formats featured by today's popular applications. Screen Reader/2 recognizes and verbalizes objects (icons) to keep the user informed of screen activity and cursor movement at all times. Screen Reader/2 also emulates mouse functions like point and click. The system includes 3.5 inch program diskettes (including on-line documentation), installation instructions (audio cassette, print, and Braille), and OS/2 Screen Representations (raised images). Peripherals include the IBM Screen Reader Keypad ($100), the IBM Keypad Cable ($23) and the Screen Reader Adapter Card ($120). SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: The system requires an OS/2 2.0 capable system with 2 MB available disk space, any supported text-to-speech synthesizer, one serial port, and the Screen Reader Adapter Card, and one expansion slot (for non-IBM systems). The Screen Reader Keypad plugs into the mouse port, so a serial mouse must be used, if desired. A 386SXZ processor or greater, 4 MB memory, and a 60 MB hard file are also required. COMPATIBILITY: For use on IBM PS/2 computers. DIMENSIONS: 5.9 x 7.5 inches.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 May 2013, 06:11:51 by REVENGE »
◕ ‿ ◕

Offline EDI

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 10:38:04 »
Is it even possible to make this work with modern pc?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 10:41:58 »
Anything is possible if you believe!

Offline Parak

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 10:53:20 »
I poked at it a bit more, and it does work over PS2, albeit in a weird manner. From what I can tell, it seems to be sending different key codes for press and release, which don't appear to be very related to the actual legends on the keys.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 11:06:31 »
I don't see why not. It plugs into the mouse port (which on IBM PS/2 computers, FYI, is common-wired with the keyboard port) so it's speaking something that should be possible to interpret.

Edit: that was a reply to EDI, but because I'm at work I was delayed in finishing the reply...so...yeah.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline RougeR

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:19:51 »

Nice :cool:

I'm posting this here as a quick reference, but it's commonly available info:

--- DISCONTINUED. (Verified 11/2002) RETAINED IN DATABASE FOR REFERENCE. --- The IBM Screen Reader/2 is a voice output program capable of converting screen information to speech to make IBM's Graphical User Interface (GUI) available to persons who are blind or who have visual disabilities. Screen Reader/2 is designed to run with OS/2 Version 2 in all sessions. The Autospeak function monitors the screen and provides voice output of all OS/2 screen information, including messages. A dedicated 18-key keypad controls Screen Reader/2 functions to enhance productivity by reserving the keyboard for application functions. Screen Reader/2 can be controlled from the keyboard as an alternative. Powerful Reading functions allow the user to read complete screens, paragraphs, sentences, words, or letters, reading only the information the user needs. Customized profiles are provided for the most popular programs. By using the Profile Access language, a profile can be modified or created. Build in Host/LAN (Local Area Network) support enables connectivity. The windowing capability provides easy access to many display formats featured by today's popular applications. Screen Reader/2 recognizes and verbalizes objects (icons) to keep the user informed of screen activity and cursor movement at all times. Screen Reader/2 also emulates mouse functions like point and click. The system includes 3.5 inch program diskettes (including on-line documentation), installation instructions (audio cassette, print, and Braille), and OS/2 Screen Representations (raised images). Peripherals include the IBM Screen Reader Keypad ($100), the IBM Keypad Cable ($23) and the Screen Reader Adapter Card ($120). SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: The system requires an OS/2 2.0 capable system with 2 MB available disk space, any supported text-to-speech synthesizer, one serial port, and the Screen Reader Adapter Card, and one expansion slot (for non-IBM systems). The Screen Reader Keypad plugs into the mouse port, so a serial mouse must be used, if desired. A 386SXZ processor or greater, 4 MB memory, and a 60 MB hard file are also required. COMPATIBILITY: For use on IBM PS/2 computers. DIMENSIONS: 5.9 x 7.5 inches.

very interesting, appreciate it, seems like a rather niche product. i see no reason why a teensy wont get it running, especially if parak has got jibber jabber out of it and it was originally made to run on os/2 over ps/2

any logs or anything interesting come of it?

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 23:21:26 by RougeR »
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline Parak

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:11:11 »
Two more pix:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:29:31 »
That is Model F construction with a membrane!

So - does this thing sound and feel like a Model F ?

I would be tempted to guess that the plates make much more difference than the hammers.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Parak

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 17:01:00 »
Sound wise it's much closer to an M than to an F - I actually have both at work here to compare against by chance. In terms of feel it's somewhere in the middle, but the M needs a bolt mod badly.

I think it's size and the contact area of the hammer/capacitive flippy that makes more of the sound difference. Should be easy to determine for certain, but I don't have any M hammers lying around at home at the moment..

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 20:34:27 »
The foot of the F hammer is triple the size of the M foot, and it comes down on a hard fiberglass circuit board.

The tiny M foot lands on a stack of membranes and a rubber blanket.

I always assumed that it was the heavy metal front and back plates that gave the F that nice resonance.

Curious to see which ones fall out when you take it apart.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline RougeR

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 06:30:20 »
thanks parak, she looks very neat and tidy inside, look like she has a few autographs too ;d, QC i assume.

any idea on converting
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 18:28:27 »
Apologies for the thread necromancy, but really nice pics here, particularly of the inside, which remind me of the Model M 4704 emulator keyboard (http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9523/subcatid/0/id/474394) I have seen one of these in person, it was in a glass display in my alma mater. I have some pics, but I was unable to examine it in person. The information I found has been posted by others up top.

Sound wise it's much closer to an M than to an F - I actually have both at work here to compare against by chance. In terms of feel it's somewhere in the middle, but the M needs a bolt mod badly.

I think it's size and the contact area of the hammer/capacitive flippy that makes more of the sound difference. Should be easy to determine for certain, but I don't have any M hammers lying around at home at the moment..

I once carried out some experiments, and my conclusions were that the surface that the hammer strikes makes no difference to the sound or the feel of the key, but the hardness of the surface on which the key module (and specifically the non flippy part of the pivot plate, to use your terminology) rests, and how tight the upper and lower plates make a huge difference.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 September 2013, 18:30:31 by ch_123 »

Offline wcass

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 13:14:19 »
did you ever make an adapter for this? i am 100% sure i could make a drop-in replacement controller for this.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:12:20 »
its on the backburner, but im going to do it. im just bummed untill my m15 gets back up and running.
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 14:26:55 »
Apologies for the thread necromancy, but really nice pics here, particularly of the inside, which remind me of the Model M 4704 emulator keyboard (http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9523/subcatid/0/id/474394) I have seen one of these in person, it was in a glass display in my alma mater. I have some pics, but I was unable to examine it in person. The information I found has been posted by others up top.

I once carried out some experiments, and my conclusions were that the surface that the hammer strikes makes no difference to the sound or the feel of the key, but the hardness of the surface on which the key module (and specifically the non flippy part of the pivot plate, to use your terminology) rests, and how tight the upper and lower plates make a huge difference.

hmm interesting, do you know anything more about my screenreade, the one you posted looks sweet
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline YakMN

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 18:03:12 »
Wow, that's a great find.

Out of curiosity are there pads under those extra dugouts at the top of the plate?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 19:07:20 »

hmm interesting, do you know anything more about my screenreade, the one you posted looks sweet

At some point I can dig up my picture which I think shows the box in which they came. I can't elaborate any further beyond the IBM product announcement letters that have been posted up top.

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 22:47:21 »
Sweet!
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline RougeR

Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 06:44:07 »
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 06:50:36 »
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 07:00:47 »
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 07:27:05 »

IBM SCREEN READER/DOS   
0 consumer reviews. Login to rate this product.

--- DISCONTINUED. (Verified 11/2002) RETAINED IN DATABASE FOR REFERENCE. --- The IBM Screen Reader/DOS is a voice output screen review program designed to enable people who are blind or have visual disabilities to hear the words on a display screen using a speech synthesizer. This product is also being effectively used with individuals who have a reading dysfunction. The Autospeak function monitors the screen and alerts the user when changes, such as status or error messages, occur. A dedicated 18-key keypad controls the Screen Reader/DOS functions to enhance productivity by reserving the keyboard for application functions. Now the Screen Reader/DOS can be controlled from the keyboard as an alternative. Powerful Reading functions allow the user to read complete screens, paragraphs, sentences, words, or letters, reading only the information the user needs. Customized profiles are provided for the most popular programs. By using the Profile Access Language, a profile can be modified or created. Built in Host/LAN (local area network) support enables connectivity. The windowing capability provides easy access to many display formats featured by today's popular applications. The system includes three 3.5-inch KB and six 5.25-inch program diskettes that include on-line documentation, back-up diskettes, 3 audio cassettes (installation instructions, tutorial, and tools and techniques), a User's Guide (in print), and a Reference Manual (print). Braille documentation is available separately ($75). Peripherals include the IBM Screen Reader Keypad and the IBM Keypad Cable. SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: The system requires a minimum of 512 KB available memory, any supported text-to-speech synthesizer, one serial port, and the Screen Reader Adapter Card, P/N 57F1588 ($120 for PC XT and PC AT). COMPATIBILITY: For use on IBM PS/2, PS/1, PC XT, PC AT or IBM compatible computers. DIMENSIONS: 5.9 x 7.5 inches.

Notes: For more information, call 800/426-4832 (voice) or 800/426-4833 (text telephone) in the US. To order in the US, call 800/426-3388 (voice) or 800/426-3383 (TT). For more information or ordering in Canada, call 800/465-7999 (voice).

Price: Contact manufacturer.

This product record was updated on April 24, 2003.
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 10:43:25 »
i was looking into these not long ago and noticed that there was indeed a lot more info. Thanks for posting it all in one place.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 15:41:34 »
I have just been in contact with the man who made this numberpad

Jim Thatcher

Hello,

I am contacting you regarding the OS/2 Screenreader project you headed in
the 1980s.I am a bit of a hobbyist and have an afficiondo for older IBM
input devices, im not sure why, I particularly enjoy buckling springs, they
have a surprisingly big folowing.

I am typing this on an IBM SSK keyboard
from 1990last year a friend fo mine contacted me over IRC to say he found an
IBM screenreader at a thrift shop in America, this was the first I had heard
of them, he agreed to send me it over, but kept two of the keycaps as a
momento.

I am now hunting for more of these screenreaders, They are very
useful as numberpads once they have been converted too work on a modern PC.I
was wondering if you could assist me in m search by advising where I might
look for these devices, are they still stockpiled somewhere, did someone buy
most of them?

It would be horrible to think of them in a landfill somewhere,
they really were part of a revolutionary device, my mother works special
needs so I have a particular interest due to this as well.

here are some pictures of the one I have

http://imgur.com/a/4MsXx

Regards
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 15:41:59 »
Reply from the kind man

Hiya George ... Sorry. The OS2 Screen reader keypads are gone - I had a
couple which I gave away years ago. It's fun to see your images of the
keypad - brings back memories ...

Jim
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 15:43:15 »
Jims website

http://jimthatcher.com/

Please try not too contact him, I wouldn't want us annoying him. If i reply it will be with some select chosen questions from the community

Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 15:44:24 »
i was looking into these not long ago and noticed that there was indeed a lot more info. Thanks for posting it all in one place.

No worries, feel free to contribute.
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline Parak

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 16:29:22 »
Ask if they have any leads on people that might know where the machines that made the individual parts have gone.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 06:06:03 »
aye will do, also going to ask years of production and aprox units made
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 16:21:16 »
Update -

I spoke to the creator, nice guy. (email)

None left that he knows of, no known moulds left.
He gave away the last few many years ago. not a massive amount produced.

He was endeared to see mine again :)

Maybe i will investigate a soarer convertor soon
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline orihalcon

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 20:55:35 »
Construction is definitely related to the 49 key model M's that I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301402443363

Those were originally SDL cabled too and they also have F construction but with membranes, so they still mostly feel like M's

On those listed on ebay above, I put in internal Soarer's Converters. They also gave different than expected scan codes, but remapped everything with the Soarer's.

I thought about converting some to Model F.  Would only (big ONLY) take a new F style PCB (Wcass could probably come up with one), an xWhatsit controller, and model F hammers.  Biggest issue there would be the costs to fabricate the F PCB.  You could always convert back which is nice since none of the original components would be harmed.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 00:07:48 »
That's super neat.  First time I've seen this.  It's a shame they are super rare as I'm sure there are a ton of people that would love to have one.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 01:36:18 »
This + SSK = pictures now

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 03:29:02 »
Construction is definitely related to the 49 key model M's that I have:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301402443363

Those were originally SDL cabled too and they also have F construction but with membranes, so they still mostly feel like M's

On those listed on ebay above, I put in internal Soarer's Converters. They also gave different than expected scan codes, but remapped everything with the Soarer's.

I thought about converting some to Model F.  Would only (big ONLY) take a new F style PCB (Wcass could probably come up with one), an xWhatsit controller, and model F hammers.  Biggest issue there would be the costs to fabricate the F PCB.  You could always convert back which is nice since none of the original components would be harmed.

The fact that the membrane based 50-key exists for the capacitive version, and the screenreader have very similar construction is more evidence that a capacitive numberpad was produced at one time.

I was only able to get the part number from an IBM manual or catalogue. Searching it yielded a reseller who had 4 in stock almost 10 years ago and has no picture or remaining stock.

Offline RougeR

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:41:48 »
update -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-1393387-Model-M-Numerical-Number-Keypad-SDL-18-Key-for-OSX-Screen-Reader-Pgm-/361001514007?

this must have slipped under the radar, but some lucky bugger scooped it up. first one ive seen in the wild.
COME FORWARD BROTHER! THERE ARE MORE AMONG US!
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 14:43:57 »
also this one on ebay is a blue label 1993, mine is a 1990.

this gives us at least a 3 year window in which they are made.
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:29:14 »
ebay pics, note his is a blue label lexmark

« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 15:37:01 by RougeR »
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline RougeR

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 17:51:53 »
another honourable mention; https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=9450.0

There's a rather interesting device on display in my college - it's a keypad that was part of a system to assist blind people use DOS made by IBM for the PS/2. As far as I can see, it looks like a Model M numpad with extra large lettering and a different layout. It has an SDL connector on the back, and from what I read, it connects to the PS/2 mouse port. There's info here and more info with a low-res pic here. I have a pic of my own which I'll post up once I get the cable for my phone.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2010, 10:00:12 by ch_123 »

we are up to 3 now...
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 March 2015, 17:56:29 by RougeR »
Buckling spring warrior!

Offline fbrack

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 18:44:08 »
I just found this forum because while cleaning out a closet, I came across my wife's IBM SCREEN READER MODEL M from 1988.  I believe the inventor, Jim Thatcher, gave it to her directly while she was a temporary employee of IBM.  I also have the VOTRAX MODEL 200  PERSONAL SPEECH SYSTEM (and power supply) that she used with it, plus cables.  I see one IBM Model M listed on eBay for over $200, but no Votrax units, and I'm wondering if that is the best way to sell these items.  The last post in this forum says "we are up to 3 now," and I'm not sure what that means.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 18:50:02 »
I just found this forum because while cleaning out a closet, I came across my wife's IBM SCREEN READER MODEL M from 1988.  I believe the inventor, Jim Thatcher, gave it to her directly while she was a temporary employee of IBM.  I also have the VOTRAX MODEL 200  PERSONAL SPEECH SYSTEM (and power supply) that she used with it, plus cables.  I see one IBM Model M listed on eBay for over $200, but no Votrax units, and I'm wondering if that is the best way to sell these items.  The last post in this forum says "we are up to 3 now," and I'm not sure what that means.

Neat. I'll take it. For non-science.

Offline Parak

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 01:09:48 »
I just found this forum because while cleaning out a closet, I came across my wife's IBM SCREEN READER MODEL M from 1988.

The last post in this forum says "we are up to 3 now," and I'm not sure what that means.

Just means that there are three of these keypads that have been seen either on this forum or elsewhere on the internet. Your post makes it four - they are quite rare at this point.