Author Topic: Calling all Cherry MX (FILCO et al) Mac Users  (Read 4843 times)

Offline ShivaYash

Calling all Cherry MX (FILCO et al) Mac Users
« on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 06:48:27 »
Surely I can't be the only one here to be a Mac user and love my FILCO?

I'm trying to gauge demand for custom thick PBT keys, to convert the PC FILCO into a proper Mac kb.

Who is interested?
I may just be a lone... which is fine.

Best wishes,
SY
IBM Model M SSK, HHKB Pro 2 BT and Realforce 104U HiPro

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Re: Calling all Cherry MX (FILCO et al) Mac Users
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 07:33:47 »
This really belongs in the Interest Check section, which I believe is off-limits until you have 60 posts, and you're not allowed to circumvent that by posting in other sections.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 08:01:08 »
Thanks for letting me know... I am not circumventing the forums rules, I sincerely felt it belongs in 'key caps' for the obvious reasons. I'll inform a moderator and ask to have this post deleted.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 08:05:14 »
Actually, seeing as there is a limit to the interest check subforum, this thread could be use to discuss the details of how you would like the cap set to be, then when you get enough posts, or if you can find someone in here who does and is willing to, an interest check can then be formed.

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 08:37:36 »
by keycaps, you mean the legends right? like the media keys and other shenanigan mac have? if thats the case, then my sword is yours to command m'lord!
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:30:21 »
Actually, seeing as there is a limit to the interest check subforum, this thread could be use to discuss the details of how you would like the cap set to be, then when you get enough posts, or if you can find someone in here who does and is willing to, an interest check can then be formed.

Great idea, many thanks.

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:32:51 »
by keycaps, you mean the legends right? like the media keys and other shenanigan mac have? if thats the case, then my sword is yours to command m'lord!

Yes, I think we are talking about the same thing.
I'd like, for my beloved full sized FILCO, all the Mac users I have become accustomed to. Such as screen brightness, exposé, command, fn, media keys etc. In two options, a UK and USA format.

FILCO does do media keys but they are only available on the camo KB.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 16:53:31 »
Unfortunately the market for these is unlikely to be large enough to justify a group buy (says this QFR Mac user).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Megaweapon

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 17:32:42 »
I'd be interested.
Ancer Research Groop DFK191ABA11 IBM Model M13 Part 92G7461 (white) Rosewill RK-9000
Matias Tactile Pro 3 Apple Extended Keyboard II (ALPS)
Rosewill RK-9000I

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 19:02:23 »
If these are for keycaps then it may come to all users not just filco users. keys with proper mac legends would be great. especially on the media key-side of things. Then we can have many interest
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 22:23:41 »
My g/f is a Mac user and uses a Filco.

But like people it might be a bit hard to hit the MOQ since it targets a very specific group of people.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 22:50:03 »
I'd love a Mac set. Although, I'd be perfectly happy with blanks on the keys that are different too.

Other than the function keys there isn't that much different.

Alt -> Option
Win -> Cmd
Menu -> Fn ?

Offline ShivaYash

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 09:37:46 »
By way of update, I have found a uk company selling keys but their profile is a cherry one, and therefore won't match my filco 100%. I believe the replacement keys will be a little lower.

Offline tooki

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 05:16:58 »
I use a Filco TKL on my Mac at work (and have some CM Storms coming for at home, also on Mac). I ordered blank Windows keys to replace the domed ones, swapped the Alt and blank Windows keys, and used KeyRemap4MacBook to get everything working well:

F7 -> Music Previous
F8 -> Music Play/Pause
F9 -> Music Next

Print Screen (F13) -> Mute
Scroll Lock (F14)  -> Vol Down
Pause (F15) -> Vol Up

In System Preferences (because it can map keyboards individually), I mapped:

Command -> Option
Option -> Command

And because I hate caps lock, but type both English and German all the time, making Option more useful:
Caps Lock -> Option

So when all is said and done, it works just like my Apple keyboard, other than pressing and holding F12 to eject.

As for interest: I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a good set of well-done Mac-printed PBT keycaps. Ideally, we'd do Matias-style caps that show all of the special characters (i.e. with option and option-shift pressed), not just Shift. (And with attention to detail, like "Help" instead of "insert", which sometimes gets forgotten.)

Of course, what would be ideal is a Cherry MX keyboard for Mac with a proper Mac number pad, that is, with Clear instead of Num Lock, a single-size + key, and an = key.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:14:27 »
I offered suggestion of MAC layout with dyesubs PBT in my last groupbuy. It didn't reach the minimum sets order.

Not sure if lack of Mac user, people not interested in style or? Maybe I will try something similar again someday.

Offline tooki

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 20:50:40 »
Well, for me, I don't want a faux-retro look with the antiquated Apple logo for ****s and giggles. Just an honest, accurate Mac layout. No gray non-alpha keys, keycap lettering in the right font in the right size in the right place, the proper icons for Dashboard, Eject, media keys, etc.

(If there's one thing Mac users exhibit, it's attention to detail. No point in doing a Mac layout if you're not gonna go all the way.)

As I said, I'd love Cherry MX keys with all the modifier states on them. Look at the Matias keyboards for Mac to see what I mean.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 20:57:15 »
use blanks
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace