Author Topic: Keyboard recommendations  (Read 1563 times)

Offline sb89

Keyboard recommendations
« on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 14:38:59 »
Hi, my first post here.

I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard (my first).

I do a bit of gaming and programming. So from what I've read Brown switches will be ideal for me (I could be wrong about this!).

With that in mind, what are some good keyboards that would fit my needs?

I'm from UK with a budget of about £100-£150 (nearer £100 would be better though!).

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: Keyboard recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 14:39:28 »
Do you want a full sized? Do you used the number pad?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 14:42:31 »
Look for a used Cherry G80-3000 and that's anything you'll ever need.
You could also try the IBM model M, I like my M2 even better because of it's small size and buckling springs. If you could not find one, try Unicomps.

Anyway, you should find what you're looking for around here, look in great finds and marketplace, or ask IRC. I don't think you'll need to look ebay.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline sb89

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 14:45:31 »
Do you want a full sized? Do you used the number pad?

Not really thought about it. I guess I don't use it that much so would consider keyboards without a number pad.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 15:21:35 »
You could also try the IBM model M, I like my M2 even better because of it's small size and buckling springs. If you could not find one, try Unicomps.
I'm sorry Mandolin, but I doubt that's a good advice. You really recommended buckling springs when he said he likes gaming?

If you don't want backlighting, go for a Filco, without the numberpad you get a bit more desk space and more room to move your mouse (they are also available with a numpad if you want that). Browns are considered a good mix between linear switches (switches without a bump or a click, often recommended for gamers, however some people also prefer them for typing) and clicky switches (blues for example make a loud click that you also feel, but it makes it harder to double tap a key which can be bad when you want to do that in a game, these are more for people who type a lot).
Filco has keyboards with the UK layout, which you'll probably prefer. Check these two links (the only difference are the labels on the front vs. on top):
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=933
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=804

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 15:25:11 »
I'm sorry Mandolin, but I doubt that's a good advice. You really recommended buckling springs when he said he likes gaming?

If you don't want backlighting, go for a Filco, without the numberpad you get a bit more desk space and more room to move your mouse (they are also available with a numpad if you want that). Browns are considered a good mix between linear switches (switches without a bump or a click, often recommended for gamers, however some people also prefer them for typing) and clicky switches (blues for example make a loud click that you also feel, but it makes it harder to double tap a key which can be bad when you want to do that in a game, these are more for people who type a lot).
Filco has keyboards with the UK layout, which you'll probably prefer. Check these two links (the only difference are the labels on the front vs. on top):
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=933
http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=804

Oh, I didn't payed much attention..., you're right.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 17:22:21 »
You're in time for the Poker 2. You should get your hands on a sampler pack, like the ones wasd sells. Trying is better than reading!

Offline baller1308

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 17:28:22 »
You could go with blues unless it's for work and there are other people around then it'll be annoying for them.  Browns are always a good starting point, and starting point it will be :P.
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline knotra

• I ­­­♥ ⌂ ♫
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 17:34:09 »
I'm from UK with a budget of about £100-£150 (nearer £100 would be better though!).

http://www.keyboardco.com/

you might want to check this site out because they are from the UK and they sell Filcos which are top of the line keyboards in 4 of the most common cherry mx switches. (blues, browns, reds, blacks) so no matter what switch you decide to choose, they should have the one you want. I wouldn't bother with lower quality keyboards unless you have a lot of extra money. They sell Tenkeyless and Fullsize keyboards as well so that shouldn't be a problems.

I would recommend the brown switches though. They are the most comfortable to type on for gaming and work. They actuation force and bottom out force are in the middle of the rest of the switches so that's a good place to start. A lot of people like blues exclusively for the click clack sound that they make and if you're interested in that and the people around you wouldn't mind, the blue switches are great as well.

Good luck choosing a keyboard :)
Keyboards: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Das Model S Ultimate Tactile Soft, Das Model S Professional Tactile Click, Corsair Vengeance K90, Steelseries 6gv2 Black Switch, Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action, Ducky DK9087 Shine II w/ Browns, Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/ Blues, WASD Keyboard v1 w/ Browns, Leopold FC200R Tacticle Touch, White Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Click Action, Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT w/ Clears, Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g White/Grey