Author Topic: What's so special about this Siemens auction?  (Read 1293 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
What's so special about this Siemens auction?
« on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 09:03:27 »
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Siemens-Keyboard-PBT982-6ES5-982-2CA12-OVP-/251229521648?pt=SPS_Bus_Logiksysteme&hash=item3a7e7246f0#ht_1740wt_926

It looks like a big old obsolete POS/ cash register to me. But the sellers insist they will only sell to businesses. What makes this so special that us mortals are not allowed to buy, even if we had the cash?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline kernelpanic

Re: What's so special about this Siemens auction?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 12:47:19 »
It is a 'Prozessbedientastatur' which means something like 'Process User(Interface) Keyboard. I guess it is made for a special device. And it is stated as unused in original pakaging, which makes this (probably) vintage gear even more expensive.

As it is a device for a special device, a consumer probably would have no use for this (special protocols at keyhit etc.). So they may want to prevent shortage on this item by selling it to some keyboard fetishist who would just mod it for his desk.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 12:51:47 by kernelpanic »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 12:54:42 »
Seems more likely to me that they just don't want to take returns from fools who buy it thinking they could just plug it in to their PC.

Offline kernelpanic

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:23:36 »
Possible aswell. Also, price might be high because of high quality components. Not in the sense of Geekhack High Quality, even higher quality. Keep in mind this things are used in serious business, so broken keyboards could mean the loss of a serious amount of money.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 14:48:59 »
This is a very special Siemens keyboard indeed.
One, it's not standard communications. It uses a DB25 connector and a proprietary protocol.
Two, it's a safety (OSHA, etc) compliant lockout capable keyboard for automation systems. That's why the key is there.

It specifically goes to a Siemens Simatic S5 or "Step 5" system. The S5 still runs hundreds of factories, including pharmaceuticals.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 07:56:00 »
thank you, rootwyrm!

Again the combined wisdom of all geeks has proven incredibly informative in this specialized field!

Yes, I can see why they don't want to sell to individuals. It makes sense if something is out of production and businesses desperately need it still.

but I'm not sure what could be 'higher quality' than geekhack level. Aren't buckling springs (and beam springs) already THE standard for lasting quality? Unless you're talking about keyboards for scientific instruments intended to survive radiation and ultra high temperatures?

This is a very special Siemens keyboard indeed.
One, it's not standard communications. It uses a DB25 connector and a proprietary protocol.
Two, it's a safety (OSHA, etc) compliant lockout capable keyboard for automation systems. That's why the key is there.

It specifically goes to a Siemens Simatic S5 or "Step 5" system. The S5 still runs hundreds of factories, including pharmaceuticals.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline kernelpanic

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 08:00:18 »
Well these things are not like 'ok cool my keyboard lastet 5 years, pretty impressive'. If this would break after 5 years in any way, Siemens would be in trouble. These things are meant to last and _never fail_.