Author Topic: Custom Topre keycaps - possible through a GB?  (Read 8255 times)

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
Custom Topre keycaps - possible through a GB?
« on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 16:50:11 »
So I've been wondering... How come there aren't any GB's for flavourful Topre keycap sets?

- Is it simply that MOQ isn't obtainable?
- Are the manufacturers like SP not equipped to create caps with the topre stem?
- Legal issues around anyone but the Topre board manufacturers making keycaps for the Topre switches? (if so, how does Clack get away with it? ;D)

Apologies if this has been brought up previously.

It seems that with the FC660C landing, there's quite a bit of demand for Topre keycaps that have 1.25x modifiers, which just don't currently exist on the market it seems.
HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Custom Topre keycaps - possible through a GB?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 10:33:47 »
- Is it simply that MOQ isn't obtainable?
- Are the manufacturers like SP not equipped to create caps with the topre stem?

I believe it's mainly that SP and others don't have the molds to do them.  (But maybe someone else does, I don't know for certain.)  But then of course, we'd have to get MOQ which usually isn't as groupbuy-friendly as SP.

I wish we could though!  We could of course try to save to buy molds ourselves, but it would be silly expensive.  Given that Topre's aren't super mainstream, I'd guess it's a fat chance.  A year or so ago I priced a complete set of molds for a new profile with a Chinese company and they quoted ~$20-30k.  I'd imagine it's really twice that once you get into it, and that doesn't include design time and iteration.  It would be even more if you did it in the US.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 10:35:40 by aggiejy »

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:32:08 »
Cool sounds about right.. Damn man those costs are a bit steeper than I imagined!

All you patriotic Topre lovers - only $3k a piece! ;D
HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 17:46:15 »
We can just pretend that laser etched pbt is the new "best" type of key cap...and then we wont have to worry about it.
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline take

• 87U / G500
    • front & follow
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 11:30:18 »
do these even exist?

i'm aware that EK sells a few sets that fit the 87U, but i'm not a huge fan of the available colors. i'd love to get a set of the mixed grey/white to mix in with my black on black version. are there any third party options?

REΛLFORCE 87U 55g  ||  Logitech G500

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 12:12:20 »
i would buy a set (round 3/4 style, fake wyse, two-tone beige, dolch color etc) for a topre board even though i do not own one currently.

i plan on buying a 55g Realforce (black) at some point this year. i would freaking love a nice set of caps with it. especially for how much i am going to pay.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline roobis_cube

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 16:27:11 »
This would be amazing. My hhkb is on the way and as a student living on part-time, minimum wage job, (not to mention I just bought an hhkb :)) ) I would kill for some cheap novelty topre caps!

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 16:48:20 »
Yeah this was attempted before with Red Alert for Topre and we can't really meet the MOQ for it to happen

You can by all means try again but it's going to be directly from topre as SP and all 3d party keycap makers don't do topre

MX overall is just a larger market

EDIT: If you want to read all about the last attempt, its here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=28054.0
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 June 2013, 16:54:10 by tsangan »
Keyboardless

Offline calavera

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 17:03:27 »
What is the MOQ that Topre required?

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 June 2013, 17:08:58 »
Well no one here has direct contact with them so we kind of have to go through Brian at EK...

With that said we couldn't even break 100 last time sooooooooooo

iirc it was way more then 100 but with a 100 orders we can show EK that there is actually interest and it wasn't all just talk, though it doesn't translate to the set being produced for sure as EK has to order way more then that and keep them in stock
Keyboardless

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 01:29:55 »
someone at realforce is making spherical topre caps for the new hi-pro board. i would love to get a set of those caps. i hear you can put the high-pro caps on a normal realforce board but you cant put normal caps on the hi-pro.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 01:33:18 »
If the keycap set suited the FC660C you could possibly get a lot more interest as those keyboards seem to be very popular now.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 17:47:39 »
If the keycap set suited the FC660C you could possibly get a lot more interest as those keyboards seem to be very popular now.

Indeed! I would be very interested!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 23:14:04 »
If I can put it on my hhkb, I'd be in. I love novelty keys, but only having a red esc doesn't do it for me.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 00:21:14 »
If I can put it on my hhkb, I'd be in. I love novelty keys, but only having a red esc doesn't do it for me.

You can get a few coloured keycaps here: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys

Mainly WASD though.  The coloured modifiers don't suit a HHKB :(
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 03:03:21 »
I believe you can find a few different kinds in Yobodashi Camera in Tokyo, but that seems a little far to go for some different colors.
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 05:33:06 »
I believe you can find a few different kinds in Yobodashi Camera in Tokyo, but that seems a little far to go for some different colors.

I'm in Tokyo right now. This is false.

You can get a topre for a spectacular price, though. My hhkb we 19800 yen.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nightsnack

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 03:16:19 »
Maybe if the Type Heaven becomes a big hit, this might happen. But then again, it wouldn't be helpful to FC660C users since the modifiers on the TH are still the same as the RF keyboards.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 03:19:23 »
Good point.

RealForce tends to be difficult to get.

HHKB is somewhat niche, due to its non-standard layout.

FC660C is populate - wonder how many of them are actually out there in the wild.

But maybe FC660C coupled with Type Heaven might be enough to push the balance in favour of someone actually starting to make customer Topre keycaps.

Offline nightsnack

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 21 July 2013, 03:31:22 »
I'm sure there will be a lot more out there if EK gets a constant supply, given the huge North America market. I got mine directly from Leopold using Gmarket, there seems to be no shortage. Hopefully Leopold will find it worth their while to make keycap sets for it.