Author Topic: Keycaps and Nail Polish  (Read 17803 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Keycaps and Nail Polish
« on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 12:03:17 »
Hey folks

Please share your experience with using nail polish on keycaps.

Firstly, how does nail polish feel on a keycap? Does it improve the feel?

Secondly, how lasting is nail polish on keycaps?

Does it protect ABS keycaps from shine? I am thinking of using transparent nail polish on doubleshots, but I don't want to sacrifice any doubleshots as victims.

Let's say we have a pad printed keycap. We want to protect the legends so they don't wear off. Will putting a layer of transparent nail polish help?

Alternatively, if we have laser-etched keycaps, would putting colored nail polish help change their colour?

Please share your experiences!

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
Re: Keycaps and Nail Polish
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 12:07:26 »
dont do it would be the short answer to this

it takes a lot of trial and error to get things right, and there is a lot more to the process than just painting them if you want them to feel and look right
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 12:28:00 »

it takes a lot of trial and error to get things right, and there is a lot more to the process than just painting them if you want them to feel and look right

My daughter and I made a few nail polish caps which have held up "pretty well" but when you consider that most of the keys that I am typing on were made when Ronald Reagan was president and still look and feel great, well, no surface-applied film is going to hold up like that!

If you get a year or 2 of good use you should consider yourself lucky, and that is assuming that they are used as accents on lesser-used keys.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 07:48:56 »
Fohat, can I ask you how they feel? I am totally ok with the idea of painting and repainting every year. Like most people on this site I am quite happy to put in a bit of effort to improve my stuff. I just want to know if nail polish can do any or all of the following:
1)   protect pad printed keycaps from losing their legends via normal usage
2)   create a transparent layer to prevent ABS doubleshots from suffering Shine
3)   change the texture of some PBT keycaps
4)   change the colour of an ABS keycap without having to boil it in dye
Since I am male, I have seriously zero understanding of nail polish. And my mother comes from the generation that never used nail polish; any female friends I know have no concept of using nail polish to do hobbying so there’s no info coming from them either.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 14:25:48 »
As someone who used to use nailpolish a lot (on my nails), I'd advise against using it on keycaps.  Nailpolish is not made to be durable like oil-based paints for cars and such.  It will wear off fairly quickly with use, as it wears off nails.  I would advise against using normal oil-based spray paint as well, because, while durable, it will feel sticky.  Instead I would look into getting white / light keys and dying them with something like RIT (mixed results there too, from what I've read).  Your safest bet is to spray paint with oil enamel if you don't mind the sticky feel or perhaps try Plasti-dip.  Or just buy keycaps already made in colors you like.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 14:41:07 »
Fohat, can I ask you how they feel? I am totally ok with the idea of painting and repainting every year. Like most people on this site I am quite happy to put in a bit of effort to improve my stuff. I just want to know if nail polish can do any or all of the following:
Since I am male, I have seriously zero understanding of nail polish. And my mother comes from the generation that never used nail polish; any female friends I know have no concept of using nail polish to do hobbying so there’s no info coming from them either.

I have only done it on decades-old IBM PBT, and the texture does not change all that much. We did it only for specialty decorative purposes.

The above response surprises me (what do I know? I'm an old man) because I always thought that nail polish had to be particularly tough and resistant, and considered it to be like "super-paint" when I use it at the work bench.

Personally, I consider the answer to all 4 of these questions to be "no" on at least some level. Adding a "skin" layer is good for some things (like UV protection) but seldom appropriate for abrasion resistance since it wears unevenly. Short-term, you might get something you really like, but don't expect it to last.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 16:51:52 »

I have only done it on decades-old IBM PBT, and the texture does not change all that much. We did it only for specialty decorative purposes.

The above response surprises me (what do I know? I'm an old man) because I always thought that nail polish had to be particularly tough and resistant, and considered it to be like "super-paint" when I use it at the work bench.

Personally, I consider the answer to all 4 of these questions to be "no" on at least some level. Adding a "skin" layer is good for some things (like UV protection) but seldom appropriate for abrasion resistance since it wears unevenly. Short-term, you might get something you really like, but don't expect it to last.

I am going to have to agree.  Using nail polish on some keys for fun is one thing, but for regular use, I don't think you will be happy.  One thing to note is that most nail polish is very high gloss, so picture the most used, glossy keys you have ever seen, and that will roughly be the finish.  I am not sure if there is a satin finish, but I would stay away from trying to protect your keys and just wash your hands more.  The oil does the most damage. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 21:49:18 »

Excellent, Excellent!

If answer from fohat is no on all counts, that’s really what I wanted to hear.

But doesn’t that raise the question of the keycaps that some people’s girlfriends here have created with nail polish? These look absolutely stunning, but if these works of art are not meant to be typed on, it would never be worth my $20 to buy.

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 01:24:34 »
Any pictures? I'm interested how they look like  :rolleyes:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 08:31:24 »

Excellent, Excellent!

If answer from fohat is no on all counts, that’s really what I wanted to hear.

But doesn’t that raise the question of the keycaps that some people’s girlfriends here have created with nail polish? These look absolutely stunning, but if these works of art are not meant to be typed on, it would never be worth my $20 to buy.

They look very cool, and are really easy. It is basically a matter of floating a few drops of nail polish on water and dipping the key into it.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 08:50:34 »

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:04:03 »
Show Image

BUNNY WTF WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO US????

Edit: I'd say that this is amazing but no, this is something more :O
What the hell am I even doing

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:07:04 »
Show Image

that was a cutom order for sir jdcarpe himself and itll be shipping on friday

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:26:48 »
Show Image

that was a cutom order for sir jdcarpe himself and itll be shipping on friday
I know what it is but i want to know why are you showing it to us, you make us jelly! :D
Joke aside, this is a really well done job mister and congratz to jdcarpe for getting this awesome set ^^

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 09:34:04 »
Forget nail polish. Eraser rubber is the way forward.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 01:35:03 »
I can only imagine how scratchy it is ;). Unless it was coated with clear.  Looks cool!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 02:17:29 »
I can only imagine how scratchy it is ;). Unless it was coated with clear.  Looks cool!

Bunny said they were smooth, I cant remember the exact words; but very very smooth.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 05:02:16 »
Omg! They're beautiful!! Thanks for the pictures Bunny  :D

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 05:23:56 »

Proceeds to post pictures that makes every guy in here rush to their wives/girlfiends/sisters nail polish stash to try it out themselves.  :))
(Only to bitterly disappointed)
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 08:35:36 »

Proceeds to post pictures that makes every guy in here rush to their wives/girlfiends/sisters nail polish stash to try it out themselves.  :))
(Only to bitterly disappointed)

That's right, my wife would have ridiculed me.

That's why I went to my 15-year-old daughter, who thought it was a cool idea.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 08:39:12 »
Forget nail polish. Eraser rubber is the way forward.

you mean pliatex?

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 17:04:08 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dear BunnyLake,

Are your AmazinglyStupendouslyWonderfull keycaps made with nail polish or real paint?
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 17:22:38 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dear BunnyLake,

Are your AmazinglyStupendouslyWonderfull keycaps made with nail polish or real paint?

a little from colomn a and occasionally from column b depending on what im doing

if you ever want any shoot me a pm

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 18:56:45 »
a little from colomn a and occasionally from column b
You remind me of Archer(tm)  ;D
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 10:29:15 »
I was messing around with nail polish today and here is the result:
http://imgur.com/a/e9IZb
As you can see only one (the black on green) cap is cherry MC cap and the rest are just some old caps from old rubber dome board.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 11:37:16 »
I was messing around with nail polish today and here is the result:
http://imgur.com/a/e9IZb
As you can see only one (the black on green) cap is cherry MC cap and the rest are just some old caps from old rubber dome board.

Did you paint over a white or beige cap?  I did mine over doubleshots and they don't light up like yours. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 12:36:54 »
The green on the is shining is a green blank key cap from the WASD sampler pack and the other 2 are just random caps from old rubber dome keyboard as said above. I am trying to find some more caps as i don't have any i can use for this right now and will update with more results if i am able to craft some more.

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 12:45:23 »
I have painted some more recently trying different combinations on some old caps from a rubber dome and will post pics as soon as i can :)

Offline ImperfectLink

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 08:11:45 »
Lol I like the poses in the pics bunny.