Author Topic: Vintage Audio Thread  (Read 5878 times)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Vintage Audio Thread
« on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 17:39:27 »
There's a headphone thread.. why not a vintage audio thread?
I'm no guru but I enjoy looking around for deals. I find that vintage audio gives you a lot more bang for buck as long as the items have been looked after properly. Also, you really can't beat the styling.

This is what I have at the moment : NAD 3130 and Monitor Audio R252. Picked them up on eBay for £50 each.

How about you? What do you own? What have your experiences with vintage equipment been? Are you a newbie looking to get some vintage equipment?

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 May 2013, 17:41:14 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
Re: Vintage Audio Thread
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 17:57:26 »
I love those old Monitor Audio's.  Do you have the original grills? 

wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 17:59:06 »
I love those old Monitor Audio's.  Do you have the original grills?
I've got them although they're a bit tatty. The speakers were very well looked after by the previous owner but the same can't be said for the grills.. I think he sat on them or something.. I can dig them out and take a picture tomorrow if you like.
github

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 19:20:28 »
It's all good, I was just curious.  I haven't seen a set of those in a while - my Dad had some years ago as rear surround.   Great mids and highs, but I don't remember the lows as they were each above a 15" sub. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 20:36:30 »
I don't have any vintage audio gear. But I like your drink coaster.  :))

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 20:42:38 »
I used to have a Proton amp that was almost identical to that NAD but it eventually got noise in some of the switches.

Now I am running an early-mid-80s Pioneer receiver (I have a mid-70s Sansui amp but I am too lazy to use the separate tuner) along with some late-80s JBL 2600 monitors and a 15" subwoofer that I built myself in an ugly but functional corner cabinet. Technics quartz direct drive turntable with mid-level Audio-Tehcnica cartridge.

One day I will buy or build an all-tube amplification system for my vinyl. Pure analog is the way to go, since sound waves and human ears are completely analog in every way.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 21:01:23 »
BIG vintage audio fan here!
I currently own a Pioneer SX-580

(I also consider this to be my best photo ever taken)
And previously pictured on this forum, My beloved 2245

I have 2 sets of vintage speakers, a pair of Technics, and a pair of Fishers.  I will post picks of them later.
I have been hunting for a reasonably priced Technics 1200 for a while, but now have put it off until after my move.  I hope to get a dual-voltage model.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 21:10:59 »
I have been hunting for a reasonably priced Technics 1200 for a while, but now have put it off until after my move.  I hope to get a dual-voltage model.

They're fun to fix up. The parts have historically been super easy to get, from Panasonic. Now that they discontinued the line, I'm not sure anymore.  :(

Get the nicest one you can, and hold onto it. They ain't making no more.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 21:17:58 »

They're fun to fix up. The parts have historically been super easy to get, from Panasonic. Now that they discontinued the line, I'm not sure anymore.  :(

Get the nicest one you can, and hold onto it. They ain't making no more.

I know...   I need to grab one and hold on to it.  They are only going to go up in price.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 04:58:06 »
I havn't got much, but I do have a B&O turn table I do love as well as some of there U70 headphones;

Not the best pics but I can take some better (and more recent ones) if you guys care. I believe the turn table is from 79 and the headphones from the early 80s. The amp in the first pic is also pretty old but has now died.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 07:36:07 »
Yes, I forgot to mention that I have a nice B&O turntable with a dead cartridge. Even used, they go for over $100 nowadays!
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 08:10:45 »
Yes, I forgot to mention that I have a nice B&O turntable with a dead cartridge. Even used, they go for over $100 nowadays!

Yeeah they arn't cheap. There are some really nice one's out there... the white version of mine goes for craazzy money... but mine works perfectly... though the headphones are missing there padding ;_;

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 08:19:02 »

Yeeah they arn't cheap. There are some really nice one's out there... the white version of mine goes for craazzy money... but mine works perfectly... though the headphones are missing there padding ;_;

I was referring to the cartridges alone. The tables are plentiful without cartridges.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 08:21:29 »
I care, would love some more pictures! Really like the hands on the turntable as well.
Every time I look there is nothing close to me that seems like a good buy and postage is off putting.
Also I notice that a lot of this vintage gear seems to be sold as spares/repair or certain parts don't work. Is this common? Do they break often? Are they difficult to diagnose/repair/find parts for if they do?

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 09:02:52 »
Do they break often? Are they difficult to diagnose/repair/find parts for if they do?
Ugh, hit and miss.  As far as amps any noise if not fixable by De-Oxit on the pots, very well could be ANYTHING.  Most models have known weaknesses.  Find a specific amp you like, and do some research into what are it's faults.  Spare parts are hit and miss, again model specific,  Marantz had a lot of cross compatability across the 22xx series.  I have never had problems finding parts.  If you would like to get a cheap amp to play around with and learn, try looking for vintage Kenwood.  They sound great, are well built, and cheap as dirt.  If you ever need help, info, or parts for a specific model try audiokarma.org    Hope this helps!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 09:03:31 »

I was referring to the cartridges alone. The tables are plentiful without cartridges.

ahhhh ok then

and those hands are actually part of the Die Verbortal Limited edition lazer cut Vinyl soulwax did a few years ago

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 09:13:02 »
I care, would love some more pictures!

couple of quick pics, lighting in the room isn't great and im using a phone but anyway;

it's not in the best condition but I do use it fairly often though my record collection isn't the biggest...

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 12:37:15 »
It's all good, I was just curious.  I haven't seen a set of those in a while - my Dad had some years ago as rear surround.   Great mids and highs, but I don't remember the lows as they were each above a 15" sub. 
The lows are great, or at least I think they are. I listen to a lot of music with deep bass and they perform well.
BIG vintage audio fan here!
I currently own a Pioneer SX-580
Show Image

(I also consider this to be my best photo ever taken)
And previously pictured on this forum, My beloved 2245
Show Image

I have 2 sets of vintage speakers, a pair of Technics, and a pair of Fishers.  I will post picks of them later.
I remember seeing that picture before.. That Marantz amp really is beautiful.
I havn't got much, but I do have a B&O turn table I do love as well as some of there U70 headphones;

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Not the best pics but I can take some better (and more recent ones) if you guys care. I believe the turn table is from 79 and the headphones from the early 80s. The amp in the first pic is also pretty old but has now died.
Those headphones are hella retro.
github

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 14:21:11 »
yeah, they are designed by one of my favorite designers Jacob Jensen.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:24:36 »
I can't let this thread die.   These are my daily listening speakers, driven by the Marantz:

I have decided if I don't win one of the 3 industrial M's on the bay, I will buy a WC-22 for the Marantz.  Both are equally hard to get in Italy.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:29:13 »
Those look so cool Tibro. I'm sad I won't be able to test em out :(

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:34:09 »
Those look so cool Tibro. I'm sad I won't be able to test em out :(
I'm so sorry :(  I promised you something and I couldn't deliver due to circumstances.  :-[
If you ever come through Naples though, you got a place to stay!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 19:35:21 »
Awww no worries man. And I'm considering doing a European GH tour. Meet some overseas GH bros....maybe with Glissant/moonprismpwr in tow ^__^

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 02:08:38 »
I can't let this thread die.   These are my daily listening speakers, driven by the Marantz:
Show Image

I have decided if I don't win one of the 3 industrial M's on the bay, I will buy a WC-22 for the Marantz.  Both are equally hard to get in Italy.
Oh man. Those are beautiful.
Awww no worries man. And I'm considering doing a European GH tour. Meet some overseas GH bros....maybe with Glissant/moonprismpwr in tow ^__^
Do it, bro. Kickstart a chain of awesome throughout europe. We're so bored over here..
github

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 08:41:16 »

A used MMC5 cartridge (the lowest level with MMC1 being the best) just sold on ebay for $157 ! yikes

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 08:52:02 »
Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by cartridge? The needle and it's housing?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 09:04:00 »
B&O turntables had a very unusual tonearm that required proprietary cartridges completely different and incompatible with everyone else.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 09:13:55 »
Ahh ok yeah I'm following and yeah I assumed as much, everything they do is bloody propriety... Though I do have one question... Was playing RAM vinyl and when I got to disc two there was a very high pitched whine coming from the turn table.. Didn't matter which disc I used I got the same thing... Could my cartridge be nackered? I tried to work out where it was coming from but had little luck in finding a solution and this only happened since playing RAM...

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 09:50:03 »
Ahh ok yeah I'm following and yeah I assumed as much, everything they do is bloody propriety... Though I do have one question... Was playing RAM vinyl and when I got to disc two there was a very high pitched whine coming from the turn table.. Didn't matter which disc I used I got the same thing... Could my cartridge be nackered? I tried to work out where it was coming from but had little luck in finding a solution and this only happened since playing RAM...

First, does it come and go?

My first thought is a motor problem. Is it while the platter is spinning, or when the stylus is actually in contact with the record?

Make sure that the cartridge is firmly engaged with the socket in the tonearm.

The turntable must be grounded, there is probably a green wire with a forked screw-down connector. That would probably cause a lower hum.

Are you sure that it is actually in the turntable, that is, coming out of it directly, or something electrical coming through the amplifier/speaker system?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 09:54:18 »
It does come and go, I'm at work atm so can't check out those things yet, but will try when I get home... And yeah it's defo the turn table, tried all the other inputs with and without random other electronics on, I'm not sure if it's coming from the speakers or the turn table I'll have to check when I get home...

But yeah I did read on forums that it could be a grounding problem but (from memory) it only has two cables coming from it, power and the B&O connector cable