Author Topic: RF 87u vs HHKB 2, which small board to go with?  (Read 12446 times)

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
RF 87u vs HHKB 2, which small board to go with?
« on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 21:43:38 »
I been tossing around the idea of grabbing a smaller board for portability and to help clean up my desk space. I currently have a 103U and I absolutely love it, so I'm sticking with Topre, but I'm not sure whether or not to go with an 87u or an HHKB for my new smaller board. I've heard a lot that HHKB's feel of a lesser build quality, and the switches feel different as well from the RF boards, which makes me want to stray from it. But yet, I would love to have a small board I can toss in a small case along with my laptop and take with me wherever I go, which is why I'd love an HHKB. I had a KBT Pure for a while, and began to miss the full size boards when I was using it as my main board, but then I bought my 103 and was more than happy to use the pure as merely a travel board. What do you guys think? Can you either confirm or deny the rumors of quality in the HHKB? Should I go new or used? The HHKB's are "on sale" for $270 right now so I'd pick one up at the end of my auction. Thanks in advance, I appreciate all opinions.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: RF 87u vs HHKB 2, which small board to go with?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 21:45:37 »
What about the FC660C?  :p

Offline jabar

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 21:57:02 »
If you want sub-TKL, FC660C is the way to go. I owned a HHKB and while the compact layout was impressive lacking dedicated arrow keys ultimately made me dislike the layout.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline therecorder

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 21:58:30 »

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 22:16:28 »
Oh, I like that. Are they for sale in the US?

Edit: EK PULLS THROUGH! HAZZAH!
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린

Offline Polymer

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 22:17:24 »
I been tossing around the idea of grabbing a smaller board for portability and to help clean up my desk space. I currently have a 103U and I absolutely love it, so I'm sticking with Topre, but I'm not sure whether or not to go with an 87u or an HHKB for my new smaller board. I've heard a lot that HHKB's feel of a lesser build quality, and the switches feel different as well from the RF boards, which makes me want to stray from it. But yet, I would love to have a small board I can toss in a small case along with my laptop and take with me wherever I go, which is why I'd love an HHKB. I had a KBT Pure for a while, and began to miss the full size boards when I was using it as my main board, but then I bought my 103 and was more than happy to use the pure as merely a travel board. What do you guys think? Can you either confirm or deny the rumors of quality in the HHKB? Should I go new or used? The HHKB's are "on sale" for $270 right now so I'd pick one up at the end of my auction. Thanks in advance, I appreciate all opinions.

I'm not sure what quality issues you're talking about...if anything it is slightly better than the RF (although if you know how to twist/straighten a RF some of the issues go away). 

The HHKB WILL be lighter...it doesn't have a plate..but it is meant to be a smaller lighter keyboard.  The lack of the plate is also what gives it a different sound.  Some people prefer it, some people don't.  I personally prefer the sound/feel of the HHKB to the RF...many others do as well...You'll also find many people that prefer the sound/feel of the RF...so it isn't a better or worse thing but just a personal preference.  While you may enjoy the RF, if you haven't tried the HHKB, it'll be hard to say which you'll prefer...I don't think you'll be disappointed..they're not so different that you don't know it is a Topre...

I think the only problem some people have w/ the HHKB is the lack of dedicated arrow keys.  If you can get used to how to use them, it is a non issue...if you can't then it is.   The Leopold is definitely a good option if you want a 60% but want arrow keys...

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 22:21:54 »
So now what about opinions between the HHKB vs the FC660C? Is the HHKB WORTH $70 more? I don't mind spending the money for the better product.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 22:25:25 »

I think the layout alone makes the FC660C a better choice, not to mention the quieter keystrokes and reportedly crisper bottom-outs. :D

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 22:31:25 »
I think I've found my new board! Thanks a bunch guys!
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 22:33:19 »
The HHKB WILL be lighter...it doesn't have a plate..but it is meant to be a smaller lighter keyboard. 

It's like a 20g difference (550g vs 530g).

I think I've found my new board! Thanks a bunch guys!

Please post your impressions after you've received it :)

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 04:53:15 »
To me HHKB has the most perfect layout of all the keyboards available on market. New Leopold is nice but require significant remapping to get the layout right.
Personally I don't care about arrows. I use Control+N and Control+P for scrolling or the standard HHKB Fn+[ and FN+/. When programming I use Vim's HJKL to more cursor around. In text fields I also tend to use UNIX's Control+A, Control+E etc. for moving around. That's the beauty part of the OS X. It handles keyboard like the proper UNIX should and as HHKB is proper UNIX layout, it's the perfect match for the OS X power user.

BTW. I forgot to add that a lot of websites (like google or facebook, twitter) support Vim's J and K for scrolling. Good to see some decent developers were behind those services :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 May 2013, 10:42:06 by czarek »
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline fatmav

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 12:16:53 »
To me HHKB has the most perfect layout of all the keyboards available on market. New Leopold is nice but require significant remapping to get the layout right.
Personally I don't care about arrows. I use Control+N and Control+P for scrolling or the standard HHKB Fn+[ and FN+/. When programming I use Vim's HJKL to more cursor around. In text fields I also tend to use UNIX's Control+A, Control+E etc. for moving around. That's the beauty part of the OS X. It handles keyboard like the proper UNIX should and as HHKB is proper UNIX layout, it's the perfect match for the OS X power user.

The one thing that stops me from getting a FC660C, and HHKB for that matter, is the lack of modifiers. The FC660C is very good, but not having a Windows key on the right hand side has helped me to resist the temptation so far. In terms of layout, I think the one Matias used in its mini keyboards (such as the Laptop Pro and the Mini Tactile Pro) is almost ideal. Three modifiers on each side in a symmetric layout (major) and cursors at the lower right (minor) are really very nice even if you are used all the unix-inspired keystrokes. I think part of the reason is because I am an Emacs user and I am getting used to having Super (Command) as a modifier. The modifiers are the major reason why Matias gets more love from me.

To the OP, when I fly I go with a Matias Laptop Pro (bluetooth) and a MacBook Air. The 87U is actually quite long, about two to three inches longer than an Air. But if I were to get a smaller version of the 103u and stick with Topre switches, I would still go with a 87U and not the FC660C because of the modifiers.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 15:27:30 »
I'm curious why not having a right side Windows key is such a deal breaker? I'm a fairly heavy Windows user and haven't missed it one bit.

Offline fatmav

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:11:56 »
I'm curious why not having a right side Windows key is such a deal breaker? I'm a fairly heavy Windows user and haven't missed it one bit.

The question is really about habit. Here is one: in OSX's Finder, moving a file can be done by using Cmd-C at the source and then Cmd-Alt-V at the destination. For those of us that are used to pressing the modifiers and the keys with separate hands, we would press Cmd-Alt using the right hand the V using the left hand. Not having a Command key (Windows key) on the right hand side makes this a bit awkward.

Similarly, having one more modifier readily available for the right hand is always a good thing for Emacs users. :P

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 17:18:59 »
Odd. I always hit every OSX Cmd+ shortcut with my left hand. It just feels weird trying to use the right command key.

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 17:26:35 »
Odd. I always hit every OSX Cmd+ shortcut with my left hand. It just feels weird trying to use the right command key.

Id have to agree with this.. only time I use the right command is when toggling guides in Photoshop.. Cmd + ;
HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP

Offline fatmav

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 17:36:06 »
That's why I say it's habit. If you allow using two hands, which you presumably do when you press Cmd+= or Cmd-- for zooming in and out in browser, then some people (such as myself) can end up using two hands for Cmd+Q or Cmd-A.

Also, I read that pressing modifiers and the keys with separate hands is more ergonomic, since pressing them with one hand can induce more hand strain. On my keyboard, I specifically map the shift keys so that you must press the shift on the opposite side of a letter to enter the uppercase of that letter. It drives some of my officemates nuts when they come work on my computer. :p

Offline BlueMica

• 1994 RX-7 R2 GT35R 500+AWHP 2004 Subaru STI GT45R
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 18 May 2013, 20:08:39 »
Definitely HHKB is the better typing experience with its clean layout, but its USB hubs seems to contradict its design . Although to me, Realforce seems more "Japanese" in its design than the HHKB.
Noppoo Choc Mini Black POM Cherry MX Red | Filco MJ1 Cherry MX Blue | Realforce 87U "EK-Edition" |1989 IBM SSK | Filco Ninja Cherry MX Brown | Filco Zero TKL

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 00:00:28 »
Definitely HHKB is the better typing experience with its clean layout, but its USB hubs seems to contradict its design . Although to me, Realforce seems more "Japanese" in its design than the HHKB.
That doesnt even make sense, how can a keyboard represent a country besides the colour scheme, etc. Anyway, 87u is platemount and HHKB isnt, so if youre ok with paying more for no arrow keys, and no plate mounting go ahead. But at that point you might as well be buying a $120 rubber dome which, ironically, is a HHKB too.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 May 2013, 00:02:02 by Rule16 »
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline therecorder

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 00:09:18 »
That doesnt even make sense, how can a keyboard represent a country besides the colour scheme, etc. Anyway, 87u is platemount and HHKB isnt, so if youre ok with paying more for no arrow keys, and no plate mounting go ahead. But at that point you might as well be buying a $120 rubber dome which, ironically, is a HHKB too.

OUCH!!!

Offline Polymer

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 01:38:13 »

Plate mounted doesn't make it any better.  The HHKB's design is more like a case mounting...it is different and quite a few people prefer that feel (I think it sounds better) over plate mounted Topre...I would have thought I would've liked plate mounted better myself as I prefer plate mounted cherry but for whatever reason, the HHKB just has a slightly better feel/sound to it (to me). 

The difference is almost nothing though...

As far as the arrow keys...Some people adjust..some don't...If more keys was always better than we'd all have full sized keyboards with macro keys...

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 04:39:28 »
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 10:59:58 »

Plate mounted doesn't make it any better.  The HHKB's design is more like a case mounting...it is different and quite a few people prefer that feel (I think it sounds better) over plate mounted Topre...I would have thought I would've liked plate mounted better myself as I prefer plate mounted cherry but for whatever reason, the HHKB just has a slightly better feel/sound to it (to me). 

The difference is almost nothing though...

As far as the arrow keys...Some people adjust..some don't...If more keys was always better than we'd all have full sized keyboards with macro keys...
Some people NEED arrow keys, for instance, I need, insert, home, page up, delete end, page down and arrow keys. That's why I have TKL and not compact, you cant just adjust if you need them.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:18:11 »
I don't know what you mean by you can't just adjust if you need them.  Compact keyboards also usually have insert delete, home, end, pgup, pgdn etc. 

If you want sub-TKL, FC660C is the way to go. I owned a HHKB and while the compact layout was impressive lacking dedicated arrow keys ultimately made me dislike the layout.

Was that because when you game you use arrow keys to navigate instead of wasd?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #26 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 13:29:41 »
I don't know what you mean by you can't just adjust if you need them.  Compact keyboards also usually have insert delete, home, end, pgup, pgdn etc. 

Was that because when you game you use arrow keys to navigate instead of wasd?

There are other things to do on a computer besides play games. It really depends on whether you're willing to retrain yourself to learn the new layout. With the HHKB, the learning curve for those keys is quite steep, with the FC660C, not so much. Also, the layout isn't for everyone. For me, the HHKB layout made my hands hurt, not so with the FC660C

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:32:33 »
Of course the FC660's are on backorder from EK now. Gah, Tuesday needs to come so I can get paid and get my order in before the next round sells out as well!
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Inept

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:46:15 »
I got two and it's been by far the best keyboard I've ever had.  I don't think I'll ever get a non-Topre keyboard until a better switch comes out.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:59:51 »
I've long believed that the biggest reason more people weren't into Topre is because you couldn't get one for under $200. Now that that's changed, I expect many more Topre converts to come. BWA HA HA HA HA

Offline Inept

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 15:06:49 »
I've long believed that the biggest reason more people weren't into Topre is because you couldn't get one for under $200. Now that that's changed, I expect many more Topre converts to come. BWA HA HA HA HA

Considering you're one of the many that made me take the plunge, I thank you.  Due to that reason I must speak out and convert others!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 15:20:21 »
Always happy to be of service :-)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 15:23:28 »

I totally agree with you daerid, but size/layout was also a factor.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 15:45:08 »
Some people NEED arrow keys, for instance, I need, insert, home, page up, delete end, page down and arrow keys. That's why I have TKL and not compact, you cant just adjust if you need them.

And these keyboards have them..you may need to press fn to access them but they do have them.  Specifically on the HHKB you can easily access them by using the right fn key with your pinky and hitting the keys..that is what it was designed for.  Once you get used to it, it is easy and quick to use...If you have some funky key combinations this might be a bit more difficult for you but I'm not sure what those might be.  So yes, it is an adjustment...either you get used to it or you don't....For many, the learning curve is just not worth it...

Offline Yuuki

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 15:56:38 »
there are a lot of shortcut using them, especially to navigate in text file or in a shell.
For me it's mainly :
ctrl + arrow (navigate through "words" depending on the separator configuration)
ctrl + shift + arrow (same but with selecting the text)
ctrl + pgup/pgdn (switch tab on graphical shells, or even in web browsers)
shift + end/home (selecting one line)

In vim and emacs when doing C++, I do think I can manage without them tho
In eclipse or intelliJ when doing java, they are mandatory
In "regular" use like browsing, writing mails/stuff etc. they're not mandatory but still quite useful.

So switching to a 3 key combination shortcuts is kinda bothersome, especially when you can already have 3 key shortcuts (like ctrl alt arrow for navigate between desktops in some WM ...)

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 17:04:50 »
I took a chance getting an ~2 year old 103u on here last year and to this day it was a great decision. I don't mind MX, but Topre will now forever be my daily driver.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:50:38 »

And these keyboards have them..you may need to press fn to access them but they do have them.  Specifically on the HHKB you can easily access them by using the right fn key with your pinky and hitting the keys..that is what it was designed for.  Once you get used to it, it is easy and quick to use...If you have some funky key combinations this might be a bit more difficult for you but I'm not sure what those might be.  So yes, it is an adjustment...either you get used to it or you don't....For many, the learning curve is just not worth it...
No I need dedicated arrow keys not FN+; voodoo magic.
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline BlueMica

• 1994 RX-7 R2 GT35R 500+AWHP 2004 Subaru STI GT45R
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 19:13:36 »
That's the great thing about the Koreans, they tend to recreate about 85% of the experience for half the price; although with Luxury products brands win.
Its less "Japanese" because HHKB strays away from the conservative design and brand that most "Japanese" prefer to buy. HHKB has a "sporty" and "juvenile" appearance by stripping features needed for "work", while it has Topre switches it doesn't invoke the same sense of luxury as "Realforce".
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 May 2013, 19:30:34 by BlueMica »
Noppoo Choc Mini Black POM Cherry MX Red | Filco MJ1 Cherry MX Blue | Realforce 87U "EK-Edition" |1989 IBM SSK | Filco Ninja Cherry MX Brown | Filco Zero TKL

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 19:25:42 »
Its less "Japanese" because HHKB strays away from the conservative design and brand that most "Japanese" prefer to buy. HHKB has a "sporty" and "juvenile" appearance by stripping features needed for "work", while it has Topre switches it doesn't invoke the same sense of luxury as "Realforce".

Very well put.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Polymer

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 20:16:25 »
No I need dedicated arrow keys not FN+; voodoo magic.
As I said..it isn't for everyone....Some people can't or don't want to adjust..and that is perfectly ok....Others don't mind or haven't had the same issues...

Personally, I wish they used a slightly different configuration for the arrow keys...but I'm going to guess it is so all of those "missing" keys can be done easily by your right hand...leaving your left for any extra stuff like Ctrl+shift, etc...

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 20:31:40 »
That's the great thing about the Koreans, they tend to recreate about 85% of the experience for half the price; although with Luxury products brands win.
I see what you mean now, I never thought of keyboards that way, only architecture. You showed me a large part of this hobby in a short paragrah albeit accompanied by way too many quotations :P
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 May 2013, 20:33:34 by Rule16 »
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 22:30:03 »
It worked for me. I probably would not have tried Topre switches had it not been for the Leopold FC660C, which I am typing on now. I like the Leopold, and I will not go back to Cherry switches, but now I want to compare the Leopold to the HHKB Pro 2 and 55-gram RF 87u. One reason for not stopping with the Leopold is that I would like higher quality dye-sublimated PBT keycaps, like those on the white/gray HHKB Pro 2 or RF 87u. I also want to try 55-gram Topres, which are available on the RF 87u.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 23:44:34 »
In my neck of the woods, Topre keyboards aren't that common, and cerry a premium over prices in the US. Like the HHKB Pro 2 for example, in the US it's 260USD, I'd gotten mine for 330USD, or thereabout. So, for those thinking of trying out a Topre, it's any expensive move, only one that's reasonably priced vis-a-vis US price is the Type Heaven (about 175USD), and even then it cost more than what it'd sell in the US.

I'd gotten my first taste of Topre when I managed to lay my mitts on a used (about a year) Topre 103UB-55G, I gotta say, the 55G is just perfect for me.....I love heavier switch types, now typing on my FC660M Clear. Anyway, that started me on this Topre trip, this was followed by a HHKB Pro 2 Gray a few months later, and as of about a week ago, they were followed by a simultaneous purchase of a Type Heaven and a used HHKB Pro 2 White (a year old).....

I actually like the deeper 'thock' of the HHKB's than the plate mounted 'thock' of the Realforce and Type Heaven. But, all give that unique Topre typing feel and experience.
« Last Edit: Sat, 14 September 2013, 23:46:33 by PadawanGeek »

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 00:35:43 »
In my neck of the woods, Topre keyboards aren't that common, and cerry a premium over prices in the US. Like the HHKB Pro 2 for example, in the US it's 260USD, I'd gotten mine for 330USD, or thereabout. So, for those thinking of trying out a Topre, it's any expensive move, only one that's reasonably priced vis-a-vis US price is the Type Heaven (about 175USD), and even then it cost more than what it'd sell in the US.

I'd gotten my first taste of Topre when I managed to lay my mitts on a used (about a year) Topre 103UB-55G, I gotta say, the 55G is just perfect for me.....I love heavier switch types, now typing on my FC660M Clear. Anyway, that started me on this Topre trip, this was followed by a HHKB Pro 2 Gray a few months later, and as of about a week ago, they were followed by a simultaneous purchase of a Type Heaven and a used HHKB Pro 2 White (a year old).....

I actually like the deeper 'thock' of the HHKB's than the plate mounted 'thock' of the Realforce and Type Heaven. But, all give that unique Topre typing feel and experience.

I like how Topre went from "too expensive" to Four Topre keyboards: a used Realforce, then a new HHKB Pro 2, then a Type Heaven, and finally a pre-owned HHKB Pro 2.  Something similar happened to me.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline PadawanGeek

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 05:04:10 »
I like how Topre went from "too expensive" to Four Topre keyboards: a used Realforce, then a new HHKB Pro 2, then a Type Heaven, and finally a pre-owned HHKB Pro 2.  Something similar happened to me.
Well, I've quit building high-end to enthusiast level rigs, found it pointless when I have two systems that should last me a good long time. Decided on focusing my energy and attention on keyboards instead....hence, my ever growing mechanical keyboard collection. ;D

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 12:47:37 »
I knew I could not put my mind at ease until I tried the HHKB Pro 2; consequently, I bought one and I am typing on it now. In case anyone is interested, I have posted a review:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=48804.0

It turns out that I like the HHKB Pro 2 better than the Leopold FC660C.

However, my search is not over yet. I would like to try 55-gram Topre switches, and the only off-the-shelf model with this switch is a 55-gram RF 87u. However, I now know that I definitely prefer the 60% form factor; therefore, it would be great if a HHKB Pro 3 were to appear with a 55-gram Topre option.

Overall, I still believe that the IBM SSK is the best all-around keyboard, and I intend to switch back and forth between my HHKB Pro 2 and the IBM SSK.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 13:33:47 »
I knew I could not put my mind at ease until I tried the HHKB Pro 2; consequently, I bought one and I am typing on it now. In case anyone is interested, I have posted a review:

However, my search is not over yet. I would like to try 55-gram Topre switches, and the only off-the-shelf model with this switch is a 55-gram RF 87u. However, I now know that I definitely prefer the 60% form factor; therefore, it would be great if a HHKB Pro 3 were to appear with a 55-gram Topre option.

Overall, I still believe that the IBM SSK is the best all-around keyboard, and I intend to switch back and forth between my HHKB Pro 2 and the IBM SSK.
If you end up trying a Realforce 87u 55g your best all-around keyboard my change. Or you could do a dome swap on the HHKB and sell the RF either way a win-win situation. Or in my case I have both but still intend to get another HHKB & RF 87u 55g to make a HHKB 55g version.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:23:24 »

If you end up trying a Realforce 87u 55g your best all-around keyboard my change. Or you could do a dome swap on the HHKB and sell the RF either way a win-win situation. Or in my case I have both but still intend to get another HHKB & RF 87u 55g to make a HHKB 55g version.

How difficult is it to swap domes? Are there detailed instructions for this somewhere, preferably with good pics? Thanks.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 15:32:50 »

I've recently asked this question on the forums, but I have not yet received a definitive reply -- Would it be possible to install auxiliary springs on the switch stems (like the extra spring on the spacebar) to bump up the actuation force from 45 grams to 55 grams? I suppose this would not have the same force-curve as a true 55-gram switch, but it could provide some extra weight and rebound. I don't think the spacebar springs are readily available, and they might be a bit too strong anyway. Therefore, I think that the springs would have to be custom made. I think this could be worth trying.