Author Topic: Same switch, different keyboard... difference?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Goodfella

Same switch, different keyboard... difference?
« on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 12:18:05 »
I have finally settled on my favorite switch of those that are commercially readily available, BROWNS!

My first keyboard was a QFR with blues, loved it, loved the clicky noise, so much fun to type on. Everyone else hated it, understandably so, that one went home. Got a QFR with reds after that, blues weren't good for gaming and reds were the 'gaming switch' at the time. Had a lot of mistype/mistakes while I was playing due to the incredibly light and now linear switch I wasn't used to. Ok those are too light, time to try blacks, got the last, or second to last black switch Poker and loved it...

But, the addiction doesn't stop there. I can't type as well as I had hoped on the black switches and business had picked up so I was doing a lot more work on the computer and needing to type a lot more. No problem, I'll just swap out my black switch poker for the blue switch tkl for when I need to work on 'work' haha. Well that got really old really fast, and I would always end up 'needing' the other board and not wanting to swap.

Fast foward to today. I have had a brown switch QFR for almost a week now (bought used from a board member here). Love it, zero complaints, typing and gaming seem to work flawlessly for me with these switches and already the gears are turning, are there 'better' brown switch boards???

Of those that own multiple boards from different manufacturers with possibly the same switch, what is the difference? Obviously there are a lot of options for keyboards with brown switches, do the more expensive boards really 'feel' that different?

Any help would be great, this hobby is addicting... :))
(current setup pictured below, because honestly, who doesn't love pictures)
QFR | QFR | QFR | Pure LED

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
Re: Same switch, different keyboard... difference?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 13:13:25 »
Would not be able to answer that because I have only had 2 keyboards with the same switch, and they are both Filcos. I also needed a lot of testing and spent a lot of money before I knew what my preferences were.  Went from blacks , to reds, to blues before eventually staying with browns.

Your QFR looks great. I think the case without the branding is actually pretty sweet. Would also like to know how much of a difference people have experienced going from one keyboard to the next with the same switch.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 May 2013, 13:17:56 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 13:25:08 »
Word on the street is that lubed Browns are pretty great. You might want to try that, though if you did it to your QFR, you'd need to desolder everything. Then there's Clears/Ergo-Clears...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 13:59:08 »
I'm tempted to buy a few boards to examine the difference from one manufacturer to another myself. I've had 6 different boards but all with different switches :p

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 14:00:46 »
When comparing keyboards from different manufacturers with the same switch, the most significant difference in feel that I have experienced have been in key height and inclination ... but that is mostly a matter of taste, and taste is often about what you are accustomed to. Back in the mid-90's when I needed to use someone else's keyboard, I always popped out the legs under the keyboard to get more inclination. These days, I always pop them back in to get as little inclination as possible.

Second most significant difference is in keycap texture, and I find more to be preferable over less. SP has an edge here because it is more pronounced than most others. PBT has an edge here, because it is harder the keys won't get shiny as easily as ABS keys. Topre keys I find the absolute best, because they are both PBT and have low grit count.
This is certainly an area where more expensive keyboards are better, in my view.

Some people find differences between PCB-mounting (mostly the Cherry G80-series) and plate-mounting (practically every modern mechanical keyboard) but I dunno.
🍉

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 15:19:33 »
My favorite MX board by a WIDE margin was my Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Browns. I rocked that thing every day for over 2 years, and it took the 55g Topre to make me sell it. Those switches are absolutely amazing, and I would highly suggest a Filco MJ2 for an "upgrade".

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 20:22:26 »
I don't think that Filco could be considered top of the crop today when there are many more options.
The switches are exactly the same as in other keyboards with brown MX, the stabilisers are Costar and the switches are mounted in a steel plate. The keycaps are cheap, though.
🍉