Author Topic: New to Mechanical Keyboards... Is there one for me?  (Read 1679 times)

Offline jedolley

New to Mechanical Keyboards... Is there one for me?
« on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 15:49:10 »
The more and more I read up on Mechanical Keyboards, the more convinced that I should get one. However, being a Mac user it seems my options are much more limited. I would like to find a Mechanical Keyboard, but would also like to find one that meet my preferences and will try to provide as much information as possible.

My usage: I don't do a lot of typing outside of forums, emails, and chats. I don't write papers or long documents. I would be using this keyboard for casual gaming (mostly RPGs and MMOs a couple hours a night).

Must Haves:

TenKeyLess
Mac Layout (not just the command key, would also like brightness keys, media keys, launch pad, mission control, etc.) - I know I can assign keys for these functions, but if they come pre-labeled that's a plus.
Sound - Not too loud, but does not have to be silent either.

Optional/Would Like:

Backlit
Bluetooth/Wireless

So far, my personal search has only come up with the Matias Mini Tactile Pro and the Matias Laptop Pro as options closest to what I am looking for, but I wanted to know if there are other options.

Thanks in advance,

JD

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: New to Mechanical Keyboards... Is there one for me?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 15:59:14 »
However, being a Mac user it seems my options are much more limited.

Common misunderstanding.  I'm a Mac user and just about every mechanical keyboard made works as good on a Mac as a PC.  (Except an old Choc Mini and some tenkeypads... but literally no even semi-mainstream ones.)

Mac Layout (not just the command key, would also like brightness keys, media keys, launch pad, mission control, etc.) - I know I can assign keys for these functions, but if they come pre-labeled that's a plus.
I doubt you'll find any sets that are labeled just like a Mac, but you can map them all easily.  If you wanted to, you could get some custom lasered keys from wasdkeyboards.com for this purpose.  Personally, I just mapped the things I use from the top row to some of my F keys and never looked back.  I use the Print/ScrollLock/Pause keys as Mute/VolDown/VolUp.  I love that... even better than a Mac keyboard.  This works great.

Pretty much all mechanical keyboards will be louder than say an Apple Bluetooth keyboard.  But some are louder than others.  For the most common switches (Cherry MX) the sound primarily comes from two things: 1) The key bottoming out when it stops, and 2) A purposeful click from the switch.

#1 can be solved by typing lightly, or by using sound dampening pads or rubber o-rings around the stem of the keycap.  But really, this is only necessary if you are in a really sound sensitive environment or you clank your keys hard.  (With my typing style, it's not all that much louder than some rubber dome or scissor switch keyboard.)

#2 is only an issue if you want it to be.  The most common clicky switch is probably the Cherry MX blue switch.  (And also the green switch, though less common.)  Black/red/brown don't make any clicks.  There are Alps style switches like on Matais too, but they aren't as popular around here.  (Not to say there aren't fans or they aren't good.)

Optional/Would Like:

Backlit
Bluetooth/Wireless

You probably don't want both of these... backlit uses quite a bit of power, and bluetooth needs to be a battery keyboard.  I don't think such things exist because of this.  As far as bluetooth, the only ones I'm aware of are all full size and the Matias ones.  There may be some more obscure ones, but not sure.

I came to mechanical keyboards like you seem to be once.  Quickly I realized that it's better to find a good solid and well-made board first, and then adapt to it.  :)  Not to push you away from what you want, but I think something like a Coolermaster QuickFire Rapid with perhaps Red or Brown switches would be a good board to start with. 

Of course, the Matias Laptop Pro is the closest thing to what you describe... but you already know about it.  I think if we took a vote most people would recommend something other than an Alps switch though... but to each his own.  (I've owned quite a few Matias boards.)
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:11:31 by aggiejy »

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:08:45 »
Matias laptop pro! See here.

Compact size, Mac labels, quiet switches, and wireless-- seems to fit your needs well.

You may have to wait a little while, though; their factory has been struggling to produce enough to meet demand lately...

EDIT: Oh, I should have read to the end of the original post. Hm...let me see what else might be out there...
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:10:42 by FoxWolf1 »
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:09:24 »
I should also add... your first mechanical keyboard is inconsequential.  If you stick around here, you might have a half-dozen before the end of the year.  :p

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:10:19 »
However, being a Mac user it seems my options are much more limited.

Common misunderstanding.  I'm a Mac user and just about every mechanical keyboard made works as good on a Mac as a PC.  (Except an old Choc Mini and some tenkeypads... but literally no even semi-mainstream ones.)

I doubt you'll find any sets that are labeled just like a Mac, but you can map them all easily.  If you wanted to, you could get some custom lasered keys from wasdkeyboards.com for this purpose.  Personally, I just mapped the things I use from the top row to some of my F keys and never looked back.  I use the Print/ScrollLock/Pause keys as Mute/VolDown/VolUp.  I love that... even better than a Mac keyboard.  This works great.

Pretty much all mechanical keyboards will be louder than say an Apple Bluetooth keyboard.  But some are louder than others.  For the most common switches (Cherry MX) the sound primarily comes from two things: 1) The key bottoming out when it stops, and 2) A purposeful click from the switch.

#1 can be solved by typing lightly, or by using sound dampening pads or rubber o-rings around the stem of the keycap.  But really, this is only necessary if you are in a really sound sensitive environment or you clank your keys hard.  (With my typing style, it's not all that much louder than some rubber dome or scissor switch keyboard.)

#2 is only an issue if you want it to be.  The most common clicky switch is probably the Cherry MX blue switch.  (And also the green switch, though less common.)  Black/red/brown don't make any clicks.  There are Alps style switches like on Matais too, but they aren't as popular around here.  (Not to say there aren't fans or they aren't good.)

Optional/Would Like:

Backlit
Bluetooth/Wireless

You probably don't want both of these... backlit uses quite a bit of power, and bluetooth needs to be a battery keyboard.  I don't think such things exist because of this.  As far as bluetooth, the only ones I'm aware of are all full size and the Matias ones.  There may be some more obscure ones, but not sure.

I came to mechanical keyboards like you seem to be once.  Quickly I realized that it's better to find a good solid and well-made board first, and then adapt to it.  :)  Not to push you away from what you want, but I think something like a Coolermaster QuickFire Rapid with perhaps Red or Brown switches would be a good board to start with. 

Yes, to aggiejy you listen. :D

Oh, and I'm sorry you can't be JD. People here know ME as J.D. You will have to settle for jedolley. :P

Welcome to Geekhack!
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:12:19 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:21:28 »
Here's another small one made for Mac...this one is not as fitting, as it doesn't have all the labels, isn't wireless, and might be a bit overpriced:
DSI Mac Modular keyboard
The Matias Laptop Pro seems to be more fitting and have a better reputation, though.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline jedolley

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:23:26 »
I appreciate your input, and I understand that which is why I went on to explain my preference for a Mac layout.

I know I can remap, and will do so if absolutely necessary. However, I would prefer something as close to the Mac layout as possible. It appears the Matias boards and to some extent the Das Keyboard for Mac have a layout very similar to the Mac keyboards. The reason for this is because someone who is still learning the Mac would also being using it from time to time and would like to keep the experience as close as possible. If I have to, I will just swap the keyboards out each time, but would prefer not to.

Thank you for that explanation!

Optional/Would Like:

Backlit
Bluetooth/Wireless

Thanks, should have been more specific that I would like either/or and not necessarily both... The Logitech Easy Switch Keyboard (obviously not mechanical) that I am using now has both, but I am also charging it once a week or so.

Thanks for the recommendation... You also mentioned "custom lasered keys from wasdkeyboards.com", would those work with this board or is that a completely separate board itself?

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:27:20 »
The WASDkeyboards.com keycaps will work with any Cherry MX board.

If you don't want to remap keys, you're only choices in the mechanical world are probably going to be something by Matias or that das board.  (Which I have the non-mac one... exact same board except the keycaps and default mappings.  Of course, you say TKL is a must.) 

Nothing else to talk about really. :)

Offline jedolley

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:29:19 »
Oh, and I'm sorry you can't be JD. People here know ME as J.D. You will have to settle for jedolley. :P

Welcome to Geekhack!

How about JD2.0? :))

Thanks for the welcome!

Offline jedolley

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 16:37:27 »
The WASDkeyboards.com keycaps will work with any Cherry MX board.

If you don't want to remap keys, you're only choices in the mechanical world are probably going to be something by Matias or that das board.  (Which I have the non-mac one... exact same board except the keycaps and default mappings.  Of course, you say TKL is a must.) 

Nothing else to talk about really. :)

Thanks for your help! I think I will take a look at the custom keycaps before I make a decision.