Author Topic: Mac Mechanical Keyboards  (Read 4981 times)

Offline rocknrob

Mac Mechanical Keyboards
« on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:00:45 »
I'm looking for a decent Mac mechanical keyboard. Other than the Das KB does anyone have any suggestions (Of stuff that is in stock). Thanks.

/Rob

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
Re: Mac Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:07:15 »
Not just a plug for Techkeys - http://www.techkeys.us/keyboards.php

In my opinion the most versatile board out there.  Works great on Mac/PC/iOS/Android

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:15:33 »

In my opinion the most versatile board out there.  Works great on Mac/PC/iOS/Android

I would be sold on the KBT Pro if it was 60% or even TKL, full size is too big for something that I would use as a board that I could take anywhere and connect to anything.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:20:16 »
I agree with you ComradeSniper - I think they have something like that in the works.  But even if you use it as just a daily driver for a Mac, it is still the best (in my opinion) option among the few boards the support mac specific buttons.

Offline rocknrob

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:41:16 »

that's a heck of a keyboard.  Very nice and from the photos it looks very sturdy and the fact that it is Bluetooth makes it very attractive.  The price tag however is just a bit stiff.  I was hoping to spend no more than about &120-$150.  I may have to bite the bullet on this one though.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions please feel free to post.

EDIT: TKL is preferable
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:45:25 by rocknrob »

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:44:24 »
I would say if Price is a dealbreaker get the Das.  It is $133, but your are stuck with Blues as your only switch choice.

The extra $42 for the KBTalking gets you wireless, cross platform support-ability, built in shortcuts and programming options, and in my opinion a better overall look and feel.

I'm not familiar with any other board that fully supports Mac specific keys.

Offline rocknrob

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:51:39 »
I would say if Price is a dealbreaker get the Das.  It is $133, but your are stuck with Blues as your only switch choice.

The extra $42 for the KBTalking gets you wireless, cross platform support-ability, built in shortcuts and programming options, and in my opinion a better overall look and feel.

I'm not familiar with any other board that fully supports Mac specific keys.

When you say programmable does that mean I can move the cmd key from where it is to whet the alt key is in the photos? And your right the extra benefits of the Bluetooth are a huge bonus.  That means I can get rid of the Windows only filco I'm using now which means less cables.  I really might have to bite the bullet and buy roses for my wife, if you know what I mean;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 May 2013, 15:02:11 by rocknrob »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:54:22 »
Unique font on the KBTalking Pro!

One thing that I can't find in the description, though is whether it supports swapping the Windows/Command and Alt/Option keys in hardware.
🍉

Offline älg

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:55:39 »
You should have a look at Matias Keyboards

Offline ping111

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 14:59:53 »
Forgetting Ducky's, with their DIP switches?

I don't mean to be rude, 13oiler, and I understand you're trying to make a sale, but we'd all appreciate if you didn't take advantage of the less-knowledgeable.
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline rocknrob

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 15:20:42 »

I don't mean to be rude, 13oiler, and I understand you're trying to make a sale, but we'd all appreciate if you didn't take advantage of the less-knowledgeable.
I have a Ducky DK9008 backlit. Can the keys be customized?  I only need to switch the alt key and the cmd key.  Is there a way to do it and if so do you know of a tutorial?

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 15:25:56 »
You should have a look at Matias Keyboards

This.

Also, Deck Legend can be had with Mac keycaps...though I wouldn't consider it to be a "true" Mac keyboard, because it's got a PC-style rather than Mac-style number pad, and, unless you're willing to mess around with remapping, command winds up where the Windows key goes in the PC version, rather than in its proper place next to the space bar.

DSI has some Mac keyboards with Command in the right place, though you don't hear as much about them as a lot of other brands.

On the super-cheap end of things, there are MicroConnectors keyboards with ALPS-style switches and a proper Mac layout, but you get what you pay for in terms of quality and rollover, so I would only say to look at these if you can't afford anything better.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 15:30:13 »

If you read my post I don't think I was trying to take advantage, I even suggested the Das for the lower price point.

I sell the KBTalking because it is my favorite full size board

Offline rocknrob

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 15:56:38 »

If you read my post I don't think I was trying to take advantage, I even suggested the Das for the lower price point.

I sell the KBTalking because it is my favorite full size board

So is this your site http://www.techkeys.us/keyboards.php ??

Offline jabar

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 15:58:23 »
8 replies until someone mentions Matias which are made specifically for Macs:

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?man=20

New Matias ALPS switches are legitimate, although I have yet to try them myself they aren't like other recent ALPS knockoffs.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 16:21:48 »
If you want to invest the money, the HHKB Pro 2 is probably the best keyboard for the mac in terms of layout and compatibility.

Offline rocknrob

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 16:46:18 »

New Matias ALPS switches are legitimate, although I have yet to try them myself they aren't like other recent ALPS knockoffs.
Actually that was the first one I looked but unfortunately the white one is out of stock.  I don't know, I may be leaning towards the Das.  I like the Techkeys because of the Bluetooth which makes going from PC to Mac and back a snap.  But $179 is a bit steep.  I can get the Das for $128 and free shipping from Amazon at the moment.  Tough choice honestly.  Oh, and I also like the Matias too.  The HHKB is out of my price range at close to $300.

Offline jabar

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 17:02:27 »
There are very few keyboards with Mac compatibility issues out of the box. It just depends how comfortable you are using Windows-legended mods (Ctrl, win, alt) vs. a printed Mac layout. If that isn't an issue you can pick from almost every mechanical keyboard out there (exceptions being NKRO USB hack ones like the Noppoo Choc Mini might behave poorly with OSX).

Another option is to go with any standard MX keyboard and get a lasered ABS set from WASD keyboards with the legends fixed for Mac: (WASD V2 is coming out, so you could wait a lil until that launches. It supposedly has more options with the same custom lasered keycaps service).

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-custom-keyboard.html

One thing I would caution about the Das is that the case is shiny, which becomes a fingerprint and grease magnet. The KBTalking is a lot to pay for basically a Bluetooth upgrade and etched PBT keycaps.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 17:02:31 »

I have a Ducky DK9008 backlit. Can the keys be customized?  I only need to switch the alt key and the cmd key.  Is there a way to do it and if so do you know of a tutorial?

The Ducky has a dip switch underneath that swaps left Alt and Windows.  I used one on a Mac mini - worked perfectly.

Even F9 - F12 do Expose etc.

Mac OS X Settings can also remap keys for keyboards that don't swap Alt/Win.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rocknrob

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 17:35:26 »

The Ducky has a dip switch underneath that swaps left Alt and Windows.  I used one on a Mac mini - worked perfectly.

after my last comment here a memory struck me about Ducky Dip switches. So I dug it out and lo and behold there they were. I now have a Ducky Mac keyboard LOL, I just saved myself some money :D

Hmmm, now what new toy can I buy ;)

Offline ping111

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 17:41:38 »

after my last comment here a memory struck me about Ducky Dip switches. So I dug it out and lo and behold there they were. I now have a Ducky Mac keyboard LOL, I just saved myself some money :D

Did you ever say the toy had to be for yourself?  Because I just saved you that money  :p
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 19:47:35 »
Best keyboards for Mac:

• Ducky DK9008 and 9087 (Shine, Shine II, G2, etc) have a DIP switch that lets you swap the alt and win keys, making the layout same as mac layout
  • Any of the Matias models
  • Das

Any USB keyboard should work though, you'll just have to swap the key positions in software if you want to have a more normal layout. You don't need any third party software to do it, you can do it via Keyboard preferences.

Offline rocknrob

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 07:17:31 »

Did you ever say the toy had to be for yourself?  Because I just saved you that money  :p
yes in deed. You did save me some money.  What toy would you buy?

Offline rocknrob

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 07:19:29 »
Best keyboards for Mac:

• Ducky DK9008 and 9087 (Shine, Shine II, G2, etc) have a DIP switch that lets you swap the alt and win keys, making the layout same as mac layout
  • Any of the Matias models
  • Das

Any USB keyboard should work though, you'll just have to swap the key positions in software if you want to have a more normal layout. You don't need any third party software to do it, you can do it via Keyboard preferences.
Thanks but I did eventually find the right dip switch.  The only thing is that the Ducky is a bit long.  I would love TKL.  I'll see how it goes otherwise I may look at a Matias.

Offline ping111

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 10:01:20 »

yes in deed. You did save me some money.  What toy would you buy?
Well, I'm on a Mac, too, so I have to go the distance to find the right keyboard.  And along the way, I found the travel keyboard of my dreams.  Surprisingly, it's actually not a DK9087.  It's a Vortex KBTalking Pure, with MX Blues (My choice even surprised myself).  The SKU is PFCN6600-CEAVG, and you can search that up on mechanicalkeyboards.com for a closer look.  I'd also go ahead and buy blank, PBT keycaps.
More
You see, many of the people at my places of work (school) don't know how to type properly, so watching them squirm as they attempt to type would be great fun for me.  As well, I know Colemak and they don't...
In My Possession:
Wanted:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 16:47:03 »
OTOH I now use a CM QFR on my Mac, and just use Settings in OS X to swap the left Command and Option keys.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CiiDub

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 17:16:30 »
I just received a Matias Laptop Pro today. I really like it.  For me the layout is great, which is basically an Apple BT with a forward delete, pg-up and pg-dn keys. I prefer a ten-keyless. 

I like the way it sounds and feels.  The feel is smooth, with a small audible & tactile cue. My muscle memory caught on in about an hour. Only the arrow keys have given me a little trouble. I wish they were a little separated from the rest of the keys, but I am sure I will adjust.

The battery is huge, which makes it physically heavy.  For me that is a double bonus, giving it a long battery life (supposedly 6 months to a year) plus a dense overbuilt feel. It doesn't slide around the desk at all.

Consider I haven't had a mechanical keyboard since 96-97 when a broken water pipe killed my Model M (that is a story) so I might just be excited about the general advantages of mech. keyboards. But, I give the new matias a whole hearted recommendation.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 17:20:48 »
I just received a Matias Laptop Pro today. I really like it.  For me the layout is great, which is basically an Apple BT with a forward delete, pg-up and pg-dn keys. I prefer a ten-keyless. 

I like the way it sounds and feels.  The feel is smooth, with a small audible & tactile cue. My muscle memory caught on in about an hour. Only the arrow keys have given me a little trouble. I wish they were a little separated from the rest of the keys, but I am sure I will adjust.

The battery is huge, which makes it physically heavy.  For me that is a double bonus, giving it a long battery life (supposedly 6 months to a year) plus a dense overbuilt feel. It doesn't slide around the desk at all.

Consider I haven't had a mechanical keyboard since 96-97 when a broken water pipe killed my Model M (that is a story) so I might just be excited about the general advantages of mech. keyboards. But, I give the new matias a whole hearted recommendation.

Good to hear.

You're more than welcome to post this, or even a slightly longer review (with pics, naturally) in the reviews area.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 18:29:17 »

Actually that was the first one I looked but unfortunately the white one is out of stock.

Did you check Matias's official site?

http://matias.ca/order/#tactilepro

I believe Amazon also has some in stock.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline majkeli

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 19:56:52 »
You can use any keyboard and remap a few keys with KeyRemap4MacBook.  I use a CM Stealth and everything works perfect.  All of the function keys map just like you want, even the eject and sleep.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 20:23:20 »
^^^ I have about 2 dozen mechanical keyboards and none of them were made for Mac.  And I only use Mac.  KeyRemap4MacBook works good, though you can swap command and option in system preferences without the need for anything.  It remembers the choice per keyboard. :)

Offline majkeli

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 20:30:41 »
I tried a Matias and wasn't thrilled with it but it was a decent keyboard.  I thought it sat too high and had a bit of a hollow sound and feel.  For comparison, I have a Filco and a Cooler Master, both with browns, that I like much better.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 May 2013, 20:37:59 by majkeli »

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 20:55:47 »
Good insight, that's kind of what I'm expecting.  (I've owned other Matias board.)  I figure if I like the switches enough, perhaps I'll tear it up and build a custom case for it.  I hate the look of the plastic case.  That was (kind of) cool in 2002 or whenever I got the original Tactile Pro, but I'm surprised they've stuck with that bubbly look now.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 22:21:17 »
My g/f's got a Matias Tactile Pro, but she found the switches too heavy so we had to buy Quiet Pro switches and swap it ourself.  Though it's been good since  :)

She also uses Filco and Das (PC Version) on her Mac though.  Download Spark from Shadowlab it's simple and easy to use.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 00:48:13 »
What about a nice Vintage Apple keyboard? Didn't read too closely, do you maybe even still have an ADB port? :D Despite all MX and Topre and everything, maybe you'd like those white clicky ALPS, like on the Apple Extended Keyboard II.
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline 1391406

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:02:26 »
maybe you'd like those white clicky ALPS, like on the Apple Extended Keyboard II.

Well, except the AEK II isn't clicky. Personally, I'd recommend the AEK I(not clicky either).
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:18:44 »
My one is, M3501... Or do we define "clicky" differently? I would have suggested an AEK1 too btw, but they are pretty hard to get...
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline 1391406

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:41:41 »
Neither of my M3501's are clicky. Some might perceive their bottoming out noise as clicky, though. Typically, I define clickiness as the addition of a short, sharp snapping sound (a la MX Blues, Buckling Springs, etc.) upon key actuation independent of bottoming out noise.

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:50:12 »
I'm not talking about the bottom out (some people also like to define the mx blacks as clicky because of the bottom out). But don't you think, when you press the key very slowly, there is a minor click sound right at the beginning? Reminded me of blues, though, technically, this may be something different (never opened an ALPS to look what is inside and causes the click).
I think it's pretty unprobable there are different versions of ALPS on the M3501, so I guess we can agree we just define this differently :D

@thread starter, I believe you would need an ADB-USB Adapter anyway, they aren't exactly cheap. Got mine for 16 dollars which is a pretty good price i guess. Don't know if you wanna go through that for a vintage keyboard on your mac. Personally I think it was worth it, but you really have to be a fanboy of these things I guess :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:54:39 »
Heh I have an old NEC keybaord that is mechanical, and does click, but AFTER the activation point.

With care, it is possible to type almost silently.

Can't use it on my Mac though, as it is AT only and I have no adaptor.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 02:00:31 »
I'm not talking about the bottom out (some people also like to define the mx blacks as clicky because of the bottom out). But don't you think, when you press the key very slowly, there is a minor click sound right at the beginning? Reminded me of blues, though, technically, this may be something different (never opened an ALPS to look what is inside and causes the click).
I think it's pretty unprobable there are different versions of ALPS on the M3501, so I guess we can agree we just define this differently :D

I only hear a very, very light click if I press the keys gently and listen carefully, however I've noticed it only seems to apply to a select few keys, not the whole board. I also noticed when typing normally it becomes inaudible / drowned out by all the clacking.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 02:06:51 »
O-rings would help reduce (but not eliminate) the noise from bottoming out.