Author Topic: Help picking out a keyboard  (Read 957 times)

Offline BMF96

Help picking out a keyboard
« on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:12:49 »
I'm looking for a tenkeyless keyboard with PBT caps, and red cherry mx. This is mostly for gaming.

These two come with PBT caps

Vortex POKER II

Keycool Grey Version 84

These come with ABS

Tex Beetle

Ducky DK9087G2

Cooler Master Storm Quickfire Rapid

I'm not getting a full keyboard because I don't use the numpad and I don't like to have my right arm at a bad angle when I type. The first two are very similar except for the function keys and arrow keys. I find that I never really use either. Do you think the function keys and arrow keys are necessary?

If I get one of the ABS keyboards, can I replace the keys with PBT keycaps?

This is the one I was planning to get before I realized it was out of stock. Ducky DK9087G2 PRO

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: Help picking out a keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:38:19 »
You can replace keycap on most keyboards without much issue, though some that have more unique layouts can be more challenging. If you are primarily using for gaming, what kinds of games do you play? If you play lots of RTS or MMO you might find you would rather have function keys. Personally I favor the 60% layouts (Poker, Beetle, etc.) as a gamer and generally don't play games that need anything more than those have to offer on layer1.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
Re: Help picking out a keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 18:56:44 »
Ivan is right, you need to first decide if you need a TKL or a compact (also called 60%). Some 60%'s have a function layer like the noppoo but I haven't heard all too great things about the quality of that board.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone