Author Topic: Old/rare keyboards  (Read 3152 times)

Offline deadlyfunzo

Old/rare keyboards
« on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 04:23:50 »
Hello gents.

I have caught the bug and want to get into getting some older, rarer keyboards.

Everyone talks about the Model M, but I was wondering what were some other type of retro keyboards I could pick up fairly easily.

(I know this is my second topic, sorry for double post...I'll try not to do it again)
Leopold FC700R (Dark Grey/Mx Brown)/ Ducky DK9008G2 Pro PBT (GreyBlue/Mx Blue)/Logitech (K800) (King of wireless) (Squishy)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Old/rare keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 06:48:40 »
Ask everybody you run into, at home and at work. There are a lot of people with keyboards in the basement.

Yard sales and thrift stores - occasionally - yield up some interesting finds, and they are usually very cheap.

Don't be afraid to buy low (condition-wise) and upgrade later if you like something.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline deadlyfunzo

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:07:18 »
Ask everybody you run into, at home and at work. There are a lot of people with keyboards in the basement.

Yard sales and thrift stores - occasionally - yield up some interesting finds, and they are usually very cheap.

Don't be afraid to buy low (condition-wise) and upgrade later if you like something.

I used to work at a PC repair shop when I was in school, they were good but I doubt they would care much about old keyboards...I might have a look there as well as some yard sales.

Would you recommend some brands/models that would be worth looking for online?
Leopold FC700R (Dark Grey/Mx Brown)/ Ducky DK9008G2 Pro PBT (GreyBlue/Mx Blue)/Logitech (K800) (King of wireless) (Squishy)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 09:14:26 »
I would highly recommend getting a Dell AT101W with Tactile Black Alps. It's one of my favorite Alps and older keyboards. I wrote a review on it here and I'm now currently using one as a basis for an Alps TKL custom keyboard.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 10:32:26 »
In addition to the Dell AT101W, I'd recommend the Apple Extended Keyboard and Chicony KB-5181.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 10:49:48 »
Also the Focus 2001 and other number sets.  Not cheap but Northgate Omnikeys are nice.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline Ninjerk

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 14:05:57 »
I think early Dell keyboards were mechanical and can be picked up for fairly cheap

Offline Asininity

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 May 2013, 21:45:17 »
I absolutely love older keyboards simply as collectible items. I really want to invest in a handful of shadow box frames and mount them on my walls.

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 01:35:45 »
You can get lucky with old Cherrys, too. I got an G80-1000HDD a few days ago, manufactured in 1987, with MX blacks and I love it ;) And it's in absolutely perfect condition.
Are you looking out for these things to use them daily, or just to nail them to a wall or something? If second, even older keyboards may be more interesting, as they often have a very random and funny layout. I have a 1984 Future Technologie keyboard with prototype blacks, I tried to game and type with this for a while but it just gets too annoying, no arrow keys, capslock is switched with right Ctrl etc.^^
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline deadlyfunzo

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 03:42:14 »
You can get lucky with old Cherrys, too. I got an G80-1000HDD a few days ago, manufactured in 1987, with MX blacks and I love it ;) And it's in absolutely perfect condition.
Are you looking out for these things to use them daily, or just to nail them to a wall or something? If second, even older keyboards may be more interesting, as they often have a very random and funny layout. I have a 1984 Future Technologie keyboard with prototype blacks, I tried to game and type with this for a while but it just gets too annoying, no arrow keys, capslock is switched with right Ctrl etc.^^

Probably a combination of the two.

I love typing and want to experience some of the original switches, but also would love to put together a display in the future.

Some of the old cherry boards look great.
Thanks for the recommendation.

Thankyou to everyone else for your input.

Offline sonic_the_hedgehog

• That's a fast hedgehog...
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 03:39:04 »
There's a Dell AT101W here for like $14...

Shipping to Australia is $56, otherwise I would've already bought it to clean up and try out!
IBM Model M | Cherry G80-3000LXCEU-2 (Browns) | Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 (Reds) | Old School AT Mechs | Old School XT Mech | Old School Japanese XT Mech  (Details / Pics Coming Soon :D)

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 05:30:57 »
Actually, just came to my mind, you might like the G80-2100: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_G80-2100
They look pretty exotic, but the layout is still okay to use them everyday (you don't have do get used to something like this, I believe that would be rather complicated: http://deskthority.net/wiki/File:IBM_Model_F_AT.jpg). On the other hand, that's one great keyboard for a collection (Model F was 2-3 years earlier than the Model M).
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 08:30:52 »
Don't be afraid of dirty or yellowed keyboards. Dirty keyboards can be cleaned. Yellowed plastic can be retr0bright'ed.
And some keyboards, such as those from Commodore are supposed to be a bit beige.
🍉

Offline HongKongFui

• No, you couldn't
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 08:38:35 »
as those from Commodore are supposed to be a bit beige.

Are there Commodore Boards that have caps you can put on Cherry MX switches?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:24:21 »
Are there Commodore Boards that have caps you can put on Cherry MX switches?
Yep. Cherry OEM keyboards with Cherry MX Black switches and thick doubleshot keycaps. One variant of the different keyboards for the Amiga 2000. One variant of the different keyboards for the Amiga 1000.
Keyboards with Model F-like layout for Commodore PC-5 and PC-10: One that talks AT protocol and one that doesn't.

There are also Amiga keyboards with "space invader" NMB switches (Amiga 500, 2000) and mechanical NMB switches (Amiga 1000), but the large majority of Commodore keyboards were made by Mitsumi with Mitsumi switches: either linear (integrated) or with tactile rubber sleeve (separate keyboard) .. and not that special.
🍉