Author Topic: On the fence about KBT Pure (Backlit w/ MX Reds)  (Read 1991 times)

Offline PandaSPUR

On the fence about KBT Pure (Backlit w/ MX Reds)
« on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 12:22:38 »
Hi everyone,

So I've been searching around these forums and desksomething (deskauthority? >.>) trying to do some research on these KBT Pure keyboards.

Background info:
I hate my keyboard at work (Dell OEM) and I want to replace it.
I'm not always in the office 5-days a week, so I've had people just randomly use my desktop (thin clients really, everything is virtual) since thats kinda how this company works... Anyway, this has lead to my current keyboard getting dirtier and even worse to type on.

What I'm looking for:
- Compact/portable, so I can take the keyboard with me or lock it away in a drawer.
- Not too loud, the office is pretty quiet sometimes.
- Mechanical (obviously haha).
- Aesthetics, I'm a 21 yr old college student/intern, so forgive, but my things must look good. lol
- Below $200, preferably around $100

With that in mind, the KBT Pure caught my eye.
Pros:
- I like the layout as it wouldn't be a huge transition from a standard 104-key layout.
- Backlit, purdy. I want to put blank white keycaps on it, if someone could show me more pictures of how that'd look, thanks! I found a thread with a few pics, but lost the thread >.>;
- From what I've read, its fairly durable since it has more standoffs/screws for the PCB.
- $102 for the MX-Red variant.

Cons:
- Read some horror stories about Vortex on these forums.
- Read lotsa issues about the KBT Race's LEDs (Do the issues apply to the Pure, I assumed so).
- Issues with keycap paint. Considering how hard (impossible?) it is to find proper keycaps compatible with the backlighting, this bugs me a bit.

Questions:
- How common are the issues really?
- Does the Pure have the same issues as the Race?
- Will the limited aluminum version ever be made again?
- Is Vortex due to replace the Pure soon? (I know the Poker II is coming, but thats not backlit, and I dont like the lettering on it)
- Has anyone ever tried this or a similar keyboard with an Android tablet? (Nexus 7 specifically, in my case)

Thanks!
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: On the fence about KBT Pure (Backlit w/ MX Reds)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 12:41:31 »
Questions:
1) How common are the issues really?
2) Does the Pure have the same issues as the Race?
3) Will the limited aluminum version ever be made again?
4) Is Vortex due to replace the Pure soon? (I know the Poker II is coming, but thats not backlit, and I dont like the lettering on it)
5) Has anyone ever tried this or a similar keyboard with an Android tablet? (Nexus 7 specifically, in my case)

Thanks!

1 and 2) I've my Pure for 2 months now and I have only one complaint. The case seems to be uneven so the keyboard rocks a little when I type on it. I have the stock plastic case and I'm looking to get a replacement case. My Pure has MX Whites and Purple LEDs.

3) I'm not sure but the only difference is that the cnc edition had a metal tray instead of a plastic case. You can try hunting for the tray. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do with a case. I think any case that fits a Poker will fit the Pure as well. I think the difference in cases is the USB location.

4) Not sure if the Pure is being replaced but the Poker 2 is backlit.

5) Smallfry is using an OTG cable with his tablet and has a QFR hooked up to it. Maybe he'll see this post and pop his head in.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 12:41:49 »
Supposedly there is a backlit Poker 2 coming.  The layout is nicer than Pure, the key sizes standard, and it's plate mounted. If you can wait, I'd get that instead.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 12:45:18 »
Here's a link with some Poker 2 info. If you look at the pictures, there's a non-backlit and backlit version. Mechanicalkeyboards.com and Techkeys will be carrying it.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42523.0

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 12:54:06 »
What's up with this? It shows LED but has regular, non see-through lettering. It's for show, a pre-production right? It will have different keycaps?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 12:57:29 »
What's up with this? It shows LED but has regular, non see-through lettering. It's for show, a pre-production right? It will have different keycaps?

Like I said in the post before, I was told that that there will be a backlit and non-back lit version. Theres a picture where it shows the two different caps? Ones all black and one has a translucent/whitish bottom? Those are the two caps types.

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 13:16:49 »
Questions:
1) How common are the issues really?
2) Does the Pure have the same issues as the Race?
3) Will the limited aluminum version ever be made again?
4) Is Vortex due to replace the Pure soon? (I know the Poker II is coming, but thats not backlit, and I dont like the lettering on it)
5) Has anyone ever tried this or a similar keyboard with an Android tablet? (Nexus 7 specifically, in my case)

Thanks!

1 and 2) I've my Pure for 2 months now and I have only one complaint. The case seems to be uneven so the keyboard rocks a little when I type on it. I have the stock plastic case and I'm looking to get a replacement case. My Pure has MX Whites and Purple LEDs.

3) I'm not sure but the only difference is that the cnc edition had a metal tray instead of a plastic case. You can try hunting for the tray. I am still trying to figure out what I want to do with a case. I think any case that fits a Poker will fit the Pure as well. I think the difference in cases is the USB location.

4) Not sure if the Pure is being replaced but the Poker 2 is backlit.

5) Smallfry is using an OTG cable with his tablet and has a QFR hooked up to it. Maybe he'll see this post and pop his head in.

1/2) Is your Pure rocking cause of uneven rubber feet, or is the case itself oddly bent? o_O First time I've heard about this issue. That would really piss me off lol.

3) Where would you find aftermarket cases anyway? I've been shopping around EK, mechanicalkeyboards.com and tigerimports, none seem to have aluminum cases for 60% keyboards.

4) Did not know that... Interesting :o

5) Ooh sounds good, maybe I'll just PM him if he doesnt see this thread.

So now I'm more inclined to wait for the Poker 2 and see what happens..  The standard right shift does make it more appealing.
As does being plate mounted. Main thing that made me not consider it was lack of backlight, but if there will be a backlit version, I can try waiting another month or so. (This keyboard at work is really killing me though x.x)

MK seems to be getting the non-lit Poker 2s soon: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming.php :o
Home:
Work:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 13:36:26 »

1/2) Is your Pure rocking cause of uneven rubber feet, or is the case itself oddly bent? o_O First time I've heard about this issue. That would really piss me off lol.

3) Where would you find aftermarket cases anyway? I've been shopping around EK, mechanicalkeyboards.com and tigerimports, none seem to have aluminum cases for 60% keyboards.

4) Did not know that... Interesting :o

5) Ooh sounds good, maybe I'll just PM him if he doesnt see this thread.

So now I'm more inclined to wait for the Poker 2 and see what happens..  The standard right shift does make it more appealing.
As does being plate mounted. Main thing that made me not consider it was lack of backlight, but if there will be a backlit version, I can try waiting another month or so. (This keyboard at work is really killing me though x.x)

MK seems to be getting the non-lit Poker 2s soon: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/incoming.php :o

1/2) I think its the rubber feet but they're glued in and I have just been too lazy to fix it.

3) Check out some of the custom cases for the GH60. alixinhzai, takaki, and photekq are all making custom cases. I would keep an eye on the Making Stuff Together and Group Buy subforums for cases. Classifieds is good too. The vendors you listed aren't the prime places to get sexy custom stuff. Although mechanicalkeyboards.com has that aluminum Vortex case that fits TKL boards. I wouldn't recommend it though. And I know I linked you to some TKL cases. But I thought you might like the info.

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 13:59:08 »
Hm okay if its just the rubber feet that are messed up, I could get over that. Could either shave or replace the feet I guess.

And any extra info is welcomed, thanks! The acrylic cases actually look like a good value.

Now the question is how much patience do I have... I've read all about Vortex's bad history of getting things released on time. If I cant get my hands on a Poker 2 by end of June, I think I might as well just get the Pure. Aghhh.

Or I can try to find a decent alternative to this cruddy keyboard at work for now.
Home:
Work:

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 13:10:45 »
Bump (sorry? lol)

Think I'm just going to bite the bullet and order the KBT Pure now.
I would rather have the Poker 2. But I'm looking around and theres barely any solid information about what it'll be.
Conflicting reports on whether or not there will be a backlit version. Even if there will be, theres no telling when they'll actually be in stock.

If I regret it later.. I can just either return it within 30 days, and take a ~$20 loss for shipping + restocking.
Or after 30 days, before 90 days, I can get it refunded via American Express.

Cant stand typing on this damn keyboard at work.
Home:
Work: