Author Topic: Which switches does this have?  (Read 1476 times)

Offline DrinkTea

Which switches does this have?
« on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 16:44:02 »
I've enjoyed browns and blues and I want to try clear. The only thing that showed up on ebay is a TG3-BL82 (it's tenkeyless and I'd like that too). However, I saw a previous thread here saying that keyboard uses cherry blacks. This website has the board for cheaper, but it doesn't say what the switches are:
http://www.globaltekoutlet.com/TG3-Electronics-BL82-Series-Backlit-Keyboard-p/bl82.htm

On ebay, the seller clearly states the switch type and even shows pictures. Globaltekoutlet, however, does not. Does anyone know which version of the TG3-BL82 they sell?  Thanks. Also, I'm new here, so hi!

Offline Internetlad

Re: Which switches does this have?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:35:48 »
Found some evidence on google that the model number has blacks, unless they use the same model number for multiple switch types, that's what i'd assume.
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 17:40:29 »
That's what I thought, but the ebay listing has pictures of what look like clear switches and the listing claims that's what they are. Although, those look like they could be white switches too. It's kind of hard for me to tell if they're not right next to each other.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-TG3-BL82-MX-CLEAR-industrial-grade-Space-Saver-keyboard-/221229259491

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 18:05:17 »
If you're waiting to try Clears, you might want to hold off. Cooler Master is releasing a board with clears in the near future.

If you're chomping at the bit, though, I'd fire off an email to global key outlet. I don't see any evidence on their site that states one way or another what switch those would be, as the ebay listing goes one way and the info I gathered goes the other.

I would figure that the model with clears on ebay was listed under the wrong name (BL82, to me, would indicate the keyboard uses BLack switches) but that's just an educated guess. I'd find it very strange if they had similar model numbers with different switches.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2013, 18:07:31 by Internetlad »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 12:01:39 »
BL82=backlight 82 keys. There exist BL82 in black or clear though black version is more common by far. No other switch types are made in these, not aware of TG3/Deck ever having others. Clears are shown, that is what it has.
If you are interested in trying clears I would go for a Cherry G80-LQCEU instead. They are usually slightly cheaper and have a normal layout.

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 15:23:09 »
Thanks for the advice. I called globaltekoutlet and they didn't sound 100% sure but were reasonably confident that theirs has black switches. I guess I could always take a gamble and try to sell it if it has blacks (or who knows, maybe I'd like black switches). As for the G80, I'm currently looking only for tenkeyless boards.
Any idea when CoolerMaster is releasing their clear model(s)?

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 23:34:35 »
I expect you'd like Blacks if you'd like Clears. They're both heavy switches, the only difference is that clears are a teensy bit heavier and have the bump, iirc.

resource for clears on CM storm

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43003.0

Offline jabar

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 00:48:05 »
Don't bother with the BL82 MX Clear board:

1) because they used 12V LEDs, the red backlighting won't work over PS/2. The MX Black version does not have this problem.

2) that seller had the MX Clear version listed for $50 but relisted the rest at $75 this time.

3) 2KRO

4) TG3 related: flat profile PBT keycaps, construction which may be off-putting (2 piece keycaps)
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline DrinkTea

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 02:13:14 »
Is there anything you can recommend with clear switches, then? Preferably tenkeyless. I like browns, but I have the feeling I might prefer a little more, uh, substance, I guess in my key presses.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 09:51:48 »
could build or get somebody to build you up a GH60 or phantom board with clears, or whatever switches you want. 60% layout, though.