Author Topic: Help me pick out a keyboard please  (Read 2414 times)

Offline libo720

Help me pick out a keyboard please
« on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 18:12:54 »
Hi guys, I have been using my Blackwidow for about a year and a half now. It has served me well, zero malfunctions and very little key cap wear. However i have decided it is time for us to part ways. So this is why i am here asking for you guys' help for picking out the ideal keyboard for me. To begin with, i am looking for a tenkeyless keyboard. I am currently deciding between the Realforce 87U because i've always wanted to try out the Topre switches, or the Filco Majestouch Ninja with either blue or brown switches. I have only used blues before so the only thing i know about the browns are that they are more linear so they require less force than the blues. Even though right now i am only looking at the Realforce and Filco i would like you guys to tell me your preferences and the reason behind it. Lastly i will mainly be using the keyboard for gaming, specifically RTS games and a little FPS on the side. Suggest away guys, thanks!
Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 55g

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Help me pick out a keyboard please
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 18:23:59 »
Why is comic sans even a font option?  Why?

And you'll get people from both sides of the fence telling you one is better than the other for a myriad of reasons.  When it comes down to it, you won't know which one you like best until you try them.  For me, I discovered my love for Clears with 65-67g springs in them and I can't go back.  I'd see if there's anyone who lives near you that has a Topre board that you can try.  If not, you can always buy one and sell it for close to what you paid for it if you don't like it.  I'm sure on the Topre front a bunch of people will push you toward the Leopold FC660C instead of the Realforce though.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 18:39:13 »
Browns aren't more linear than blues.  I like browns very much.  I wouldn't recommend blues for gaming but you have tried them so you can make that call.

I can tell you that the Realforce is a very high quality product that pretty much everyone loves.  For gaming I wouldn't recommend the variable weighted one.

Offline libo720

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 18:45:58 »
Browns aren't more linear than blues.  I like browns very much.  I wouldn't recommend blues for gaming but you have tried them so you can make that call.

I can tell you that the Realforce is a very high quality product that pretty much everyone loves.  For gaming I wouldn't recommend the variable weighted one.

By the variable weighted one do you mean the 55g?

Offline libo720

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 18:47:37 »
Why is comic sans even a font option?  Why?

And you'll get people from both sides of the fence telling you one is better than the other for a myriad of reasons.  When it comes down to it, you won't know which one you like best until you try them.  For me, I discovered my love for Clears with 65-67g springs in them and I can't go back.  I'd see if there's anyone who lives near you that has a Topre board that you can try.  If not, you can always buy one and sell it for close to what you paid for it if you don't like it.  I'm sure on the Topre front a bunch of people will push you toward the Leopold FC660C instead of the Realforce though.

Im kind of a noob so the only Topre boards that i know are the HHK2, Realforce, and Leopold FC660C. Is there any other Topre boards that i do not know of?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 18:49:25 »
I'm not sure which boards to recommend to you since I haven't tried nearly enough. But I've documented my thoughts on most switches here and here. If you have other questions about switches, you can check out the DT wiki on Cherry switches and I'm sure they have a lot of info on Topre. Finally, check out the Simple Questions Simple Answers thread for some commonly asked questions or maybe post a few of your own. Welcome to GH. And please don't use Comic Sans in green, it hurts my eyes.

Offline jabar

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 18:55:20 »
Browns aren't more linear than blues.
Going from a full click to a mild tactile bump is definitely a more linear move.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 19:03:38 »
Going from a full click to a mild tactile bump is definitely a more linear move.

Nope.  Basically the difference is the sound.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 19:05:42 »

By the variable weighted one do you mean the 55g?

The 55g (and the 45g) is uniformly weighted.  The variable is called something like "ergonomic weighting"  It is mostly 45g with 35g on the pinkies.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 19:17:11 »
First things first, budget ?
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 19:18:40 »

This is GeekHack... budget is OVER 9000!!!

Offline libo720

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 19:23:56 »

Doesn't really have one, but its preferred that i do not go over $300.

Offline libo720

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 19:31:29 »
I'm not sure which boards to recommend to you since I haven't tried nearly enough. But I've documented my thoughts on most switches here and here. If you have other questions about switches, you can check out the DT wiki on Cherry switches and I'm sure they have a lot of info on Topre. Finally, check out the Simple Questions Simple Answers thread for some commonly asked questions or maybe post a few of your own. Welcome to GH. And please don't use Comic Sans in green, it hurts my eyes.

Your opinion on the Topre switches are pretty negative, the Realforce 87U was my top choice but now i am having second thoughts. Also I always thought the MX Browns were the best for gaming, but after reading your review on them it is making me not sure about what i want anymore. Guess i need to do more research. And yea, i won't be using Comic Sans anymore. Lawl.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 19:34:28 »
Yeah I'm not a Topre fan at all. And there's no "best switch" for gaming. Otherwise we'd all have the same switch ^__^. Last week I was playing BL2 on a Buckling Spring keyboard.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 19:38:40 »

This is GeekHack... budget is OVER 9000!!!

loooool  ;D
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 19:39:40 »

Doesn't really have one, but its preferred that i do not go over $300.

I'd say go for the Brown Filco. I'm currently using a brown switch ducky shine 2 tkl.
it's really nice for typing and gaming. can never go wrong with browns  ;)

Offline jabar

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 20:13:03 »

Nope.  Basically the difference is the sound.
Greens are much more tactile, click notwithstanding. Greens have basically the same slide as Clears, except in two separate pieces. Browns by comparison have a much duller tactile nub in the slide compared to Clears. Under a heavy spring (ballpoint spring mod) Browns practically feel linear.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 20:24:34 »
The tactile bump on the browns is much closer to the greens, without the click.  Greens have a much heavier spring, though.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 22:09:07 »
I would go with the browns and maybe a Cooler Master model. They are less expensive and they basically are the same as the Filco in terms of feel and sound. I am one of the few who does not like the Realforce and i think if you were to go with a topre keyboard, i would go with Leopold's new Topre keyboard. Keyboards are such a personal preference that you really have to try a lot to find the one you like. It's like Goldilocks and the three bears. You have to find the model that is just right.

Offline mauri

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 02:47:58 »
I went from blackwidow to realforce and I've been very happy with it, my filco in the other hand is gathering dust in the darkest corner of my closet.

The one thing I like about filco is how it looks, realforces have this really stupid overhang and have hardly any room for customization. Then there's hhkb which has always been an intriguing choice however the layout is just too much for me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 02:51:14 by mauri »
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS