Author Topic: Just got my first MX keyboard  (Read 2171 times)

Offline nathairtras

Just got my first MX keyboard
« on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 21:13:02 »
I have been using a Model M for ages, and just started using it at work a couple of weeks ago.  (It was that, or a cheap HP disposable keyboard...)  Almost immediately I found myself looking for something a little less...  "pingy," but I didn't want to give up the nice feeling on my fingers  Now I'm typing on a CM QFR with greens, that I probably overpaid for, and though initially the dimensions had me a bit worried (big hands),  I absolutely love it.  Well, I love the feel of the switches, and I can't stand the key caps.  Not sure whether the change will be better or worse for my coworkers, as it is still a bit loud, but now I am sold on the whole MX thing.

A bit of browsing here, and I have resigned myself to a grim fate of happy fingers and hemorrhaging bank accounts.
CM QFR Green

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
Re: Just got my first MX keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 21:22:13 »
Hello! Welcome! I am also looking at buying a QFR green, can you describe a little bit more on how "bad" the key caps are compare to model M's? Thanks!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 21:59:07 »
What bugs me the most would have to be the legends.  The letters feel like bumps on the keys, which after the Model M, I could do without.  At the same time, the keys feel slippery when compared to the Model M. 

I cannot describe it well, but the Model M keys have this roughness to them that speaks of quality, as backwards as that sounds.  They feel... sturdy, like they aren't going anywhere and will be around with the roaches after the fallout.  The QFR board itself?  It also feels weighty, but the keycaps make me think of your average rubber dome.  They look neat, but do not feel that great on the fingertip.  At least to me.

Beyond the keycaps, I only have (so far?) two complaints.  Firstly, my backspace is squeaky, but if I understand things right I just need a bit of grease for the stabilizer(s?)  Second, the key cap puller doesn't feel that great when I use it.  I get nervous about yanking out the switch.  Not sure if that is the puller, or that I have only had the board for a few hours so I am nervous about damaging it!
CM QFR Green

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 23:55:40 »
What I will recommend is to sell or return the QFR, and wait for the Ducky 9008G2 Pro to come out, it had PBT caps and green switches!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Ominorvas

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 09:02:03 »
I got a QFR with browns, looking to trade it for a QFR with blues, I'd prefer more tactility from the keyboard, but what are the green switches like compared to blues?
Browns have a quite nice resistance, and I think blues are a lighter switch, i'd like a heavier but tactile clicky switch.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 11:53:44 »
Awwww, yeaaaaah. Congrats on your first MX board! Looking forward to seeing what happens when you get your first set of PBT caps :D

And yes, welcome to Geekhack!

Offline elttaboi

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 01:35:36 »
Easy problem. Just get pbt caps for it! You can even go for expensive thick ones for a more durable feel.

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:04:30 »
I got a QFR with browns, looking to trade it for a QFR with blues, I'd prefer more tactility from the keyboard, but what are the green switches like compared to blues?
Browns have a quite nice resistance, and I think blues are a lighter switch, i'd like a heavier but tactile clicky switch.

At least for me, in terms of pressure, greens are a great comparison to buckling spring.  I have a GTC-0077 for number input, and it has browns, and it is slowly growing on me... but the feeling is totally different.  Way softer.

If you think blues are lighter than you would prefer, but otherwise like the feel, I'd say try greens.  Just be ready for a bit of a finger workout, on an "off" day I find my left pinky gets a bit fatigued!
CM QFR Green

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 12:06:19 »
Ever thought of doing a floss mod to your Model M to make it less pingy?

Offline nathairtras

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 14:42:59 »
Ever thought of doing a floss mod to your Model M to make it less pingy?

Something that may be worth trying, but some of the descriptions make me wary.  Some claim it just dampens sound, some state that it feels different.  That being said, TKL has grown on me a lot in the past...couple of weeks?  My number pad is separate, and assuming I am seeing it right, I'm already considering swapping the brown switches in there for greens.

The main thing is, Model M or mechanical, I want the same feel both at home and at work - right now I take my QFR back and forth each day.  I have two Model M keyboards, so this would work, but the whole numberpad bit makes me wonder if I shouldn't just stick with Cherry Greens, or maybe try out Whites.

Plus, keycaps.  One of my bosses noticed my Creeper key on F4 and got a kick out of that.  I don't have much interest in personalizing things in my life (uniform might be nice for clothing, too much hassle) but the key caps, even the limited number I have currently, seem like a lot of fun.  Expensive habit, but I'm ready to declutter my life in other ways, so this is a good fit.
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 May 2013, 14:44:39 by nathairtras »
CM QFR Green

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 11:57:28 »
You'll wanna talk to AKIMbO about the floss mod. He seems to know quite a bit about IBM and Alps boards.

I really like my SSK and I was really into the AT F I tried, but I'm a Cherry MX fanboy. Whites and Blues are currently my favorites. They just feel amazing to me.