Author Topic: US int. / TKL / MX Brown / rock solid... ?  (Read 3183 times)

Offline webzeb

US int. / TKL / MX Brown / rock solid... ?
« on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:01:37 »
Hello!

I'm new to geekhack and after a few days reading posts there I could refine my requirements.
By the way, your help would be very appreciated to select a model which would fulfill them!

Required :
  • QWERTY US international layout (AZERTY is 'standard' in France, but I prefer this layout due to its easier access to numbers and accents),
  • TKL,
  • Cherry MX brown switches,
  • durable keycaps,
  • solid construction,
  • reliable,
  • 150 € max. including shipping and tax duties to France (less would be GREAT).

Appreciated :
  • backlit (as far as possible, white backlit),
  • differentiated WASD keycaps
  • Cherry MX red for WASD? (I don't want to spend a lot of money for that...)
  • 'cool' color scheme (I don't want a Christmas tree and I hate how gamer products look, but for example grey or/and blue keycaps with a black case would look good)

Many thanks for your help!

Fred
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:25:58 by webzeb »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: US int. / TKL / MX Brown / rock solid... ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:10:10 »
Based on your requirements, the first thing that comes to mind is one of these.

Or possibly one of these. They make one with a blue case, but it's full size. Keycaps are easily replaced.

On a side note: We should sticky a buying guide or something here. We get the same "what should I buy" questions over and over again, at least one a day :-\

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:18:14 »

Or possibly one of these. They make one with a blue case, but it's full size. Keycaps are easily replaced.

On a side note: We should sticky a buying guide or something here. We get the same "what should I buy" questions over and over again, at least one a day :-\

Or have a sub-forum 'What Keyboard Should I Buy?" for anyone looking to buy a keyboard to post in and make a form for new users to fill out with things like what country are you in, full size or tkl, switch type, back lighting or no, what used for etc, etc.

i'm sure the filling of the form could be made mandatory to post in said sub-forum and the entry page/form could also have a glossary explaining the terminology

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:35:08 »
Here is an option for you.  http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Keycool-87-Backlight-Mechanical-Keyboard-w-Cherry-MX-Brown-Switch-Red-LED-/330835983333?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item4d075c7be5#ht_868wt_1394  Keycool 87 with browns and red led.  Basically a combo of FC200r and FC700r. 

They make one with white leds, but it is mx blues.
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:44:26 »
Basically, I would suggest whatever 87 key ANSI keyboard you can find that best suits you in lower price range and add a nice keycap set that suits your layout want since it is impossible to find this as a stock option.

Offline webzeb

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:59:42 »
Many thanks for your replies.

I understand the 'what to buy?' question is kind of recurrent...

The Filco Majestouch 2 (FKBN87M/EB2) is definitively a seducing option.
It just misses the backlight. (I know, I shouldn't watch the keyboard, but for certain tasks and considering the keyboard is in a room where I can't switch on a lamp at night, it's good.)
I don't like the 'military' case. A touch of color is far enough for me; here, that's too much.

What do you think about the ducky DK9087 G2Pro/Shine 2?

Cheers

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:00:58 »
Or have a sub-forum 'What Keyboard Should I Buy?" for anyone looking to buy a keyboard to post in and make a form for new users to fill out with things like what country are you in, full size or tkl, switch type, back lighting or no, what used for etc, etc.

i'm sure the filling of the form could be made mandatory to post in said sub-forum and the entry page/form could also have a glossary explaining the terminology

Ooooooo I like this. Gonna post it in Feature Suggestions.

Offline mauri

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:05:08 »
The ducky with clears and browns mixed seems like really sweet :0
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline webzeb

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:09:29 »
The ducky with clears and browns mixed seems like really sweet :0
Is reliability good?

I red very mixed user comments...

Offline knotra

• I ­­­♥ ⌂ ♫
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:14:54 »

does keyboardco ship to the US (california)? and do you or anyone know how reliable they are?
Keyboards: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Das Model S Ultimate Tactile Soft, Das Model S Professional Tactile Click, Corsair Vengeance K90, Steelseries 6gv2 Black Switch, Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action, Ducky DK9087 Shine II w/ Browns, Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/ Blues, WASD Keyboard v1 w/ Browns, Leopold FC200R Tacticle Touch, White Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Click Action, Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT w/ Clears, Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g White/Grey

Offline webzeb

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:20:14 »
I just saw the Filco from The Keyboard company was not US intl. :(

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:26:57 »
US INTL is basically impossible to find as a stock keycap option. Though the printed keys have jack all to do with what you select in OS as your keymap. Any ANSI keyboard will work perfectly fine with US Intl. keymap. I'm also quite a fan of US Intl. which is why I made up keysets with that.

Keyboardco does ship to US, but you will pay over the odds a bit due to the USD to GBP conversion so only do it if it is really worth it to you.

Offline Joxx

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:38:14 »
I currently own a Ducky 9087 with blue backlit and brown switches and I love it. It feels definitely way more solid than my Blackwidow. It also cost me 130 euros shipped from China with Chronopost, I guess I was lucky that they didn't tax me.
Ducky 9087 MX Brown | Blackwidow  MX Blue  | CM TK MX Red | Looking for a QFR MX Blue!

Offline webzeb

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:42:10 »
I currently own a Ducky 9087 with blue backlit and brown switches and I love it. It feels definitely way more solid than my Blackwidow. It also cost me 130 euros shipped from China with Chronopost, I guess I was lucky that they didn't tax me.
Where did you buy it from?

Thanks for your feedback!

Offline Joxx

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:43:31 »
Mine has asian characters on it so I am not sure if you would like it.
Here is a picture:
Ducky 9087 MX Brown | Blackwidow  MX Blue  | CM TK MX Red | Looking for a QFR MX Blue!