Author Topic: IEMs advice  (Read 22165 times)

Offline Batmann

IEMs advice
« on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:48:31 »
hey all,
I am currently earbudless because I once again broke my Sennheiser CX400 II
I like them but I am tired of bad contacts that appear overtime (I already broke two pairs)
I am looking for something durable with detachable cable, clear sound with sharp bass but not to powerfull and present midrange.
I was thinking of shure but maybe some of you guys can help me with the choice.
I'd rather to keep it below 130$
thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:20:20 by Batmann »

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: Earbuds advice
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:50:05 »
You want iems not earbuds  :p

What genres of music do you listen to?

Edit - If you want detachable cables, just go with se215 like you mentioned, though I've read fit and/or the cable is a pain. If you're open to non-detachable cables, list your music genres and I'll give some more recommendations :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:53:03 by Jocelyn »

Offline Batmann

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 16:57:53 »
thanks for the lightning fast answer Jocelyn,
do you think I should change the title of the topic? I thought intra auricular headphones were called earbuds but if that's misleading let me know
As for the music, I listen to lots of different things from jazz to hip hop, and all sorts of "pop" music  so that might not help with the choice, maybe some sort off all round earphones.
midrange is important, I don't like when you only ear both extreme of the range (I hope that makes sense, it's hard to express this in english!)

edit: I am open to non detachable cable as long as the cable is strong
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:00:07 by Batmann »

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:08:15 »
No it's okay. I was kinda just picking on you, but I would change the title to IEM, IEMs, earphones, or in ear monitors.
Mind you, this is coming from someone who is a bit of a Vsonic wh0re, but I'd seriously consider saving some money and going with a pair of Vsonic GR06. I'm basing this off of what you listen to, and this all assumes you're okay not having detachable cables and don't mind wait a little longer for them to arrive.

http://www.lendmeurears.com/product_info.php?currency=USD&cPath=15&products_id=37

That said, I would wait for more replies and opinions, but the GR06 is definitely what I'd go with if I didn't want to spend more than $130

Anyway, I'm going to try and send thegunner100 your way :p

Earbuds

iems
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:11:04 by Jocelyn »

Offline Batmann

Re: IEMs advice
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:14:28 »
ok that makes sense, I don't want earbuds then  :))

well also thanks for the input, I'm gonna check this out,
I see you seem to know iems pretty well so do you do something special to avoid breaking the cables (I take my earphones everywhere and don't bother to put them in a case)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:18:50 »
You get something with a nice cable like Vsonic and take care of it (be gentle). I'm up on this stuff, but there are a few others who have definitely handled and compared more iems than me.
I'm sure one of them will show up sooner or later :)

Edit - I have no idea why the photos aren't loading for the GR06 on lendmeurears, but here's a link to Amazon in case you'd like to see photos - http://www.amazon.com/GR06-Dynamic-Isolation-Earphones-Earbuds/dp/B007NPVE2S
I know you won't be ordering from Amazon, being that you're in France. Also, lendmeurears is a reputable vendor, who I've placed a few orders through before.

Edit2 - Oh and the cable is meant to go over the ears, but they're very comfortable. I own their GR07 MKII :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:23:38 by Jocelyn »

Offline Batmann

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:29:09 »
Jocelyn you are awesome but you already know that  :)
thanks for the advice, I'll wait for thegunner100 input on this
I'll see what I do then

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:42:34 »
I'll speak for eckse since he's not on the forums much from what I've seen;

I asked him about IEMs the other day and he highly recommended the Vsonic ones, and he seems like he knows what he's talking about.

I've used Shure ones so far, and while the detachable cable has saved me once, I'll need to replace mine soon and I won't be buying Shure then.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:44:51 »
I think the Hifiman RE-400 is just the IEM that you're looking for. I've managed to try it at a local headphone store and it's pretty amazing for just $100. Compared to the gr07 MK II ($170ish on ebay), the sound signature is almost identical, with the re-400 having slightly more bass. That being said, the gr07s are a well balanced IEM. They're not neutral, but they definitely don't have overwhelming bass or treble, likewise with the Re-400. The Gr07s though are a bit better in dynamics and technicalities, and the cable can be worn over the ear, so it tends to make less cable noise and is less likely to fall out. They both don't have detachable cables but detachable cables are a premium and you wont find them till around $300+ (edit: I guess there are some exceptions to this) (Edit 2: What i mean by this is that the $300+ detachable cables use the Westone style, which is fairly universal and used for most custom IEMs.)

For more info on the re-400, check out Clieos' review on it. The Re-400 will be one of the best choices for a balanced sound signature at $100, plus you'll get amazon prime shipping and easy returns on them (Edit 3: Nevermind, you're in france, but this will apply to those in the US). If you can get a good used price on the gr07s though, I would get it over the re-400.

The Beyerdynamic XP2 is a good choice too, if you can find a place to purchase them (they're only available in Asia for some reason). If you want to look into more IEMs, I highly recommend taking a look at Clieos's "list" for the best price/performance IEMs.

The Shure SE215 is detachable but according to Clieos' review, it is a mid-centric IEM with more-than-neutral bass and treble that's present, but doesn't stand out.

I hope that helps!

« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:42:32 by thegunner100 »
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:50:33 »
I think the Hifiman RE-400 is just the IEM that you're looking for. I've managed to try it at a local headphone store and it's pretty amazing for just $100. Compared to the gr07 MK II ($170ish on ebay), the sound signature is almost identical, with the re-400 having slightly more bass. That being said, the gr07s are a well balanced IEM. They're not neutral, but they definitely don't have overwhelming bass or treble, likewise with the Re-400. The Gr07s though are a bit better in dynamics and technicalities, and the cable can be worn over the ear, so it tends to make less cable noise and is less likely to fall out. They both don't have detachable cables but detachable cables are a premium and you wont find them till around $300+.

For more info on the re-400, check out Clieos' review on it. The Re-400 will be one of the best choices for a balanced sound signature at $100, plus you'll get amazon prime shipping and easy returns on them. If you can get a good used price on the gr07s though, I would get it over the re-400.

The Beyerdynamic XP2 is a good choice too, if you can find a place to purchase them (they're only available in Asia for some reason). If you want to look into more IEMs, I highly recommend taking a look at Clieos's "list" for the best price/performance IEMs.

I hope that helps!

Boom! Thanks thegunner100! I've been out of the loop for 6-7 months and now I want to grab RE-400 to compare. Away I go to read Clieos' review :)

Edit - I can't get over that cable! Must have  :p
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 17:52:37 by Jocelyn »

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:03:35 »
Jocelyn, thank you too for your kind words! Which cables are you referring to? I had my gr07s recabled by BTG-Audio a few monthes back :D. I will be be getting my UERMs by next Monday hopefully, but the gr07s have a place in my heart for getting me into IEMs ^^.

22922-0
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:10:47 »
Jocelyn, thank you too for your kind words! Which cables are you referring to? I had my gr07s recabled by BTG-Audio a few monthes back :D. I will be be getting my UERMs by next Monday hopefully, but the gr07s have a place in my heart for getting me into IEMs ^^.

(Attachment Link)

Mmmm custom IEMs

* tjcaustin pets JH5s
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:13:42 by tjcaustin »

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:13:38 »
Me too with the GR07 (first "good" iem I purchased), but I was referring to the RE-400 cable in my post above. Anyway, the modded cable on your GR07 looks fantastic and I definitely want to have something similar done to mine  :p

Edit - This is EXACTLY why I spend less time on head-fi. I can't afford keyboard and ear stuffs, but whatever, BTG-Audio here I come lol

Mmmm custom IEMs

* tjcaustin pets JH5s

Thanks a lot :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:15:30 by Jocelyn »

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:19:36 »
Shure SE215s. Love these things and they're about ~$100

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:21:28 »
Me too with the GR07 (first "good" iem I purchased), but I was referring to the RE-400 cable in my post above. Anyway, the modded cable on your GR07 looks fantastic and I definitely want to have something similar done to mine  :p

Edit - This is EXACTLY why I spend less time on head-fi. I can't afford keyboard and ear stuffs, but whatever, BTG-Audio here I come lol

Mmmm custom IEMs

* tjcaustin pets JH5s

Thanks a lot :(

lol what?  custom fit IEMs are the best of the best.  Do you have some or are you jealous?

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:21:35 »
Hehe, head-fi is amazing for emptying out your savings (just look at my audio gear inventory compared to my keyboard -_-). For reference, the cable that I got was the Midnight IEM cable. Price includes shipping from him back to you, but you have to pay to ship it to him. I read that Brian (of BTG-Audio) is taking some finals for school, so response/service may be a bit slow.

I recommend getting a sleeved cable (before the Y split), as it does a good job in reducing cable noise when it hits your shirt or something, plus it is easier to coil and never tangles.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:22:32 »
lol what?  custom fit IEMs are the best of the best.  Do you have some or are you jealous?

We talked about this awhile ago. I'm very jealous, plan to get customs at some point, but I'm playing the whole delayed gratification game with this buy  :p

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:24:55 »

Some people actually prefer the totl(top of the line) universals over CIEMs. The biggest con for CIEMs imo is that you can't share them with your friends :(

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:27:06 »

We talked about this awhile ago. I'm very jealous, plan to get customs at some point, but I'm playing the whole delayed gratification game with this buy  :p

I talk to a lot of people, dork :P  But yeah, now I remember.

To the bats, I think you should save your pennies and buy a pair of entry level customs or plan to invest more in some earmolds for whatever you get.  The seal makes everything the best.

For realz.

Oh and thanks for this thread, now I want a new pair of ultra high end IEMs

Some people actually prefer the totl(top of the line) universals over CIEMs. The biggest con for CIEMs imo is that you can't share them with your friends :(

This is fair, listening is at its heart subjective, but I decided to go the full CIEM because I couldn't get any non custom to fit perfect in my ear and didn't want to just get pods made (I wear them sometimes while motorcycling so helmet fit is a positive, too).

And who would want to share IEMs with anyone anyways?  Who know's what is crammed in their ears:P

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 18:35:47 »
That's understandable too xD. Quality iems are a great way to get your friends into hi-fi though, since you can show them to people anywhere, without needing to carry around an amp.

For CIEM info, average_joe's thread is THE place to get you started on everything. I highly stress that when looking for CIEMs, you should find one with a sound signature that you like, as that is the most important thing. If you get a pair and then decide that you don't like how it sounds you will take a huge loss on your purchase if you try to sell it. That being said, head-fi meets are a great place to try out CIEMs built in a universal form. They give a fairly good impression of how they sound like, but the actual custom version will sound better to due the perfect fit.

Offline bear95

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 21:02:12 »
I was looking at CIEM's list and the Sony MH1C / Sony Ericsson MH1 is priced at $80 but in actuality they are ~$35.... I had the gr06 before but lost it in shipping in a return :(. Would you recommend getting it?

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 21:26:25 »
I was looking at CIEM's list and the Sony MH1C / Sony Ericsson MH1 is priced at $80 but in actuality they are ~$35.... I had the gr06 before but lost it in shipping in a return :(. Would you recommend getting it?

It seems to be a pretty good price for the MH1. Does it fit your sound signature for what you listen to? There are positive reviews on head-fi, but they all mention the cable as being a major con for the MH1. I can't recommend either the gr06 or the MH1 as I've never listened to them but if Clieos recommends then, then I think they are worth a try at the price. The gr06s can be worn over the ear, though, which helps a lot for keeping them from falling out and to reduce cable noise. I stress that point as having IEMs fall out while walking or even sitting down is a very annoying thing for me.

I have tried the vsonic gr02 bass edition though, and I've bought a few of them as Christmas gifts for a few of my friends. At $36, they are a great choice as well. They are fairy warm IEMs, but don't mistake the bass edition as being bass-heavy; they're not. But they do have great bass quality for the price. They also come with lots of ear tips, so you're very likely to find a pair that will fit you well. I'd say that the gr02s are a step down from the RE-400, which is a step down from the gr07.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 21:33:55 »
I'd also like to direct the thread to Clieos' concise comparison list, and ljokerl's multi-iem list. Warning: They're VERY long, and a lot are not available for purchase in the U.S but the lists may give you a better idea of what IEM to look for with your preferred sound signature.

Feel free to ask questions! I will try my best to answer, especially if it is an IEM that I am familiar with, or have tried.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 03:26:04 »
I'd also like to direct the thread to Clieos' concise comparison list, and ljokerl's multi-iem list. Warning: They're VERY long, and a lot are not available for purchase in the U.S but the lists may give you a better idea of what IEM to look for with your preferred sound signature.

Feel free to ask questions! I will try my best to answer, especially if it is an IEM that I am familiar with, or have tried.

I've spent half of my entire life in those two threads :p

Offline bear95

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 06:57:06 »
Thanks! I think I'm going to get the mh1c's. Just trying to find them cheaper cause it seems like people were buying it for $20...

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 07:14:59 »

How long have you had your gr07s for? I think I would have gone for the Westone 4 as an upgrade to my gr07s if i didn't get a 20% discount from the NY head-fi meet for the UERMs.

Thanks! I think I'm going to get the mh1c's. Just trying to find them cheaper cause it seems like people were buying it for $20...

There seems to be a few people in Clieos' comments section that bought them for really cheap, but it seems like ~$35 USD is the standard right now. If you get them, tell us what you think of them!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 12:59:30 »

How long have you had your gr07s for? I think I would have gone for the Westone 4 as an upgrade to my gr07s if i didn't get a 20% discount from the NY head-fi meet for the UERMs.

Daaaaaamn, that's a hell of a discount for what seems to be a top 1 or 2 offering from UE.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 14:20:49 »
That's a lot of usefull content, I wasn't expecting that :)
The custom word in CIEMs is inself enough to turn me on but then comes the money issue, they are pretty much out of my league but I know I can be weak so who knows what I am gonna end up with..!?

Is it worth buying CIEMs if I am mainly gonna listen music on my iphone? Can you still hear what's happening around because I listen to music almost every time I go for a walk or a bike ride in town and "complete isolation" would be dangerous I think

The RE-400 also look really good, I might buy a pair and see if I really need something better. So I understand you can get custom cables, is there any benefit appart from fixing a broken one? Is it a common mod that's easy to get done? And to finish with, RE-400 vs shure SE215 for the same price, do you think going for detachable cable is worth the sound quality difference?

Right now I am using some really cheap phillips SHE8500, sound is not too bad but fit is awful...!
Thanks for your help, keyboard friends are good  :)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 15:01:20 »
Is it worth buying CIEMs if I am mainly gonna listen music on my iphone? Can you still hear what's happening around because I listen to music almost every time I go for a walk or a bike ride in town and "complete isolation" would be dangerous I think

CIEMs isolate more than your average IEM. For reference, acryllic shelled CIEMs have -26db rating. Some companies offer ambient ports (Or something along those lines) on their CIEMs, which will reduce the db rating from -26 to -12 or so, allowing you to still hear the outside environment fairly well. As for your iphone, it will be a fine source. average_joe usually has a section in his review where he rates various sources (usually the iphone is one of them). The general consensus is that CIEMs sound better than universals until you get to the totl universals.

The RE-400 also look really good, I might buy a pair and see if I really need something better. So I understand you can get custom cables, is there any benefit appart from fixing a broken one? Is it a common mod that's easy to get done? And to finish with, RE-400 vs shure SE215 for the same price, do you think going for detachable cable is worth the sound quality difference?

If we're talking about the westone style custom cables, the main benefit of using custom cables is that you can pick one that is aesthetically pleasing and ergonomic. Some claim that custom cables make a difference in sound, but... that's a discussion for the head-fi sound sciences forum, not here. The stock JH and UE cables are very cheap, perhaps cheaper than even sending in your broken cable for someone to repair. What do you mean by "Is it a common mod that's easy to get done?" Do you mean modding a IEM so that it accepts custom cables? Yes it's fairly common for the mid-range IEMs but probably not worth it for the low-end IEMs.

As for the RE-400 vs the shure SE215... I would personally go for the RE-400. SQ > the possible convenience of custom cable (the shures are non-standard (non-westone), and commonly has problems if you read other reviews).

Sorry for the late response, just got my HD600  ;D

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 15:16:58 »

They should just ban you thegunner100, making me want to spend more time on head-fi and buy new stuff, j/k :p

I picked them (MKII) up last summer right after they were released. I also have a GR01 and I'm very happy with both. I realize I could spend more money and have a single iem that's good at everything, but part of me likes having two totally different iems even if the GR07 is quick for a dynamic. I'm sure I'll eventually move up the ladder, but for now I'm more interested in buying keyboard stuff lol.

PS - Thank You for all the info you've provided! It's fun to read your posts :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 May 2013, 15:25:44 by Jocelyn »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 19:04:32 »

They should just ban you thegunner100, making me want to spend more time on head-fi and buy new stuff, j/k :p

I picked them (MKII) up last summer right after they were released. I also have a GR01 and I'm very happy with both. I realize I could spend more money and have a single iem that's good at everything, but part of me likes having two totally different iems even if the GR07 is quick for a dynamic. I'm sure I'll eventually move up the ladder, but for now I'm more interested in buying keyboard stuff lol.

I second all of this and demand you get a custom head audio title.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 19:55:14 »

I second all of this and demand you get a custom head audio title.

Ahaha, thanks you two! A custom title would be pretty awesome ^^

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 03:34:18 »
http://www.head-fi.org/t/626714/cosmic-ears-new-ciem-company-with-crazy-low-prices-including-hybrid-designs

A new/cheap CIEM maker that seems to be able to make a $100 - 150 custom fit that sounds similar/better than universal that are similarly priced.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 07:50:58 »
A new/cheap CIEM maker that seems to be able to make a $100 - 150 custom fit that sounds similar/better than universal that are similarly priced.

Ahh I didn't realize that Cosmic Ears were that cheap. For those who prefer to order within the US, 1964 Ears is a good choice, although their cheapest model starts at $350 without impressions.

Custom Art is the latest CIEM company, offering massive pre-order discounts. They offer three models: Pro 100(~$230), Pro 210 (~$285), and Pro 330 (~$395). The sale prices end on June 12th. They're based in Poland though, so there will be extra costs in shipping and handling time.

For those who are interested, check out these 2 videos on how Ultimate Ears and 1964 Ears make their CIEMs  :D

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 11:00:23 »
For those on a tight budget, consider the the Vsonic VSD1; it is now available on lend me ur ears for $36.79 with the sale.

Introducing the VSD1, it is designed to be the baby brother of the famed GR07 series. While it is priced at almost 1/3 of the price, Vsonic claims that it retains almost 80% of the sound making it one of the bang for the buck earphone in the series.

If that is true, then it is a good (perhaps better) alternative to the gr02 bass edition. The VSD1 should have a more balanced sound signature whereas the gr02 BE has a more U shaped sound sig. Take a look at the head-fi thread for discussion.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 14:26:18 »
Thanks to your uber relevant links my budget is dangerously stretching....!

I am now preventing myself not to hit the buy now button for the Westone UM3x RC  :'(

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 15:36:43 »
Thanks to your uber relevant links my budget is dangerously stretching....!

I am now preventing myself not to hit the buy now button for the Westone UM3x RC  :'(

Haha, that's quite a stretch in your budget to go from $100 to ~$350. However, once you get to around that price point, it gets harder and harder to justify spending even more since you'll be getting into totl universal and CIEM territory.

Offline Batmann

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 04:40:17 »
First I thought well let's spend 70 more bucks to get the GR07 over the RE400,
Next step was, now let's send them overseas to get them moded so they get the detachable cable with that fancy cable thegunner100 showed, which with shipping costs is about the price of the UM3X-RC!
So now my head is spinning! 😜

I am not yet decided but there will be a picture this thread when I get my iems :)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 05:49:07 »
Next step was, now let's send them overseas to get them moded so they get the detachable cable with that fancy cable thegunner100 showed, which with shipping costs is about the price of the UM3X-RC!

I am not yet decided but there will be a picture this thread when I get my iems :)

Lol I know this feeling!! Oh and do post photos of whatever you get :)

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 06:25:40 »

In that case then, it would be better to go for the UM3X-RC since you'll be getting better SQ and you won't have to go through the hassle of getting it modded. Then you can just get aftermarket cables like BTG-audio's starlight or sunrise cable if you want something fancy for a reasonable price :P

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 15:28:21 »

In that case then, it would be better to go for the UM3X-RC since you'll be getting better SQ and you won't have to go through the hassle of getting it modded. Then you can just get aftermarket cables like BTG-audio's starlight or sunrise cable if you want something fancy for a reasonable price :P

Or even from me, King Klaxon!

* tjcaustin slightly shameful plug

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 15:33:58 »
Do you make custom audio cables?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 15:48:09 »
Do you make custom audio cables?

Currently testing my personal feasibility of collecting and assembling parts, but yes.

So far, I've found ends for westone and sennheiser.  I'm working on UE/JH now

Offline Batmann

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 16:01:42 »
And what if now I was also considering this?

I'd better take an internet break I suppose!

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 16:06:48 »
And what if now I was also considering this?

I'd better take an internet break I suppose!

To use at as a portable amp with your iphone? Or for home-use? And with the UM3x-RC?

Offline Batmann

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 16:15:41 »
Well with my iphone and maybe also on my computer but I think I have been reading to much reviews and first thing I need to focus on is the Iems

Compulsive buying disorder is in the air!
I'll probably come back to you if I seriously consider buying a portable amp

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #46 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 16:21:00 »
Haha alright. I'm currently using the headstage arrow 4g. I used to have a fiio E17 and I've tried the Digizoid zo2. But yes, getting an IEM first is much more important. Have you considered getting a portable DAP? The new Fiio x3 looks very promising, but I'm holding my breath for the x5 or the ibasso dx50.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 10:09:47 »
I just received my UERMs! But they messed up on shell coloring... I request for only the faceplate to be solid white, and they made the entire shell solid white instead of Translucent Green 0026 for the left shell and Translucent Red 0012 for the right side... I'm going to contact Mike Dias to see if there's anything that can be done about this :(

This is how they turned out:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B7A2617066EFA1C8!1911&authkey=!AJvd7zeoClryicA

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 16:01:24 »
I just received my UERMs! But they messed up on shell coloring... I request for only the faceplate to be solid white, and they made the entire shell solid white instead of Translucent Green 0026 for the left shell and Translucent Red 0012 for the right side... I'm going to contact Mike Dias to see if there's anything that can be done about this :(

This is how they turned out:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=B7A2617066EFA1C8!1911&authkey=!AJvd7zeoClryicA

I'm sure they'll have a pair of new shells made to put your internals in.  Hopefully as a rush job, too.

Also, I ordered a pair of JH13pros two days ago.

Almost went UERM, but decided that I didn't want to hate music that I may own at a lower recording rate.

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 16:19:46 »
Very nice! How long did it take for you to get used to the feeling of CIEMs? My ear canals got sore after about an hour or so, and the left cymba area was a bit too tight. I think i'm supposed to get used to the feeling/pain after a week or so, but the left symba area definitely needs to be shaved down a bit.

The JH13 is probably the safer choice over the UERM. The UERMs are definitely very revealing of sibilance and harsh recordings.