Author Topic: Silent Mechanical Keyboard  (Read 2030 times)

Offline Phaseshift

Silent Mechanical Keyboard
« on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 10:56:13 »
So I recently got a mechanical keyboard, Ducky 9087 Shine II White LED / Cherry MX Blue. Being that me and my girlfriend live in a studio apartment, when I'm up she's asleep and the keyboard is too loud.

Which flavor of the cherrys are silent but will still feel like my Cherry MX Blue? I think the loudest part of this keyboard is the click not the bump.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Silent Mechanical Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 10:57:31 »
the answer is there are no quiet cherry switches.  If you want a quiet and tactile switch buy a matias quiet keyboard.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline dadgh

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 10:58:42 »
Blues are loud. Get o-rings if you bottom out, they help a lot. Get a new board if it's still a problem. I lived in a Loft with my GF and I couldn't even type on rubber domes because it was too loud.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 10:59:09 »
Whites are pretty quiet and still have some clickyness to them.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:00:27 »
Blues are loud. Get o-rings if you bottom out, they help a lot. Get a new board if it's still a problem. I lived in a Loft with my GF and I couldn't even type on rubber domes because it was too loud.

^ this guy has no concept of reality.  MX switches make 2-3 clicks, clacks, thocks.  When the switch is pressed and it is a *click* switch you get a sound, when it bottoms out you get a clack, and when the position resets to ready the switch thocks.

Matias quiet switches are dampened and the only sound you hear is the wobble of the keycaps.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:06:34 »
^ this guy has no concept of reality.

There's no need for that kind of comment.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:20:02 »
Lubed non-clicky Cherry MX switches with thick/PBT/POM keycaps and dampeners should work, if you can type lightly. Put your keyboard on a soft surface (I use thicker SteelSeries QcK).

It won't be silent, but my experience is that this sort of sound is much more pleasant than noise produced by most rubber domes with cheap keycaps.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:26:49 »

Lies lol

Lubed non-clicky Cherry MX switches with thick/PBT/POM keycaps and dampeners should work, if you can type lightly. Put your keyboard on a soft surface (I use thicker SteelSeries QcK).

It won't be silent, but my experience is that this sort of sound is much more pleasant than noise produced by most rubber domes with cheap keycaps.

This^

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:37:02 »
^ this guy has no concept of reality.

There's no need for that kind of comment.

You're right.  He knows a lot about his reality, but obviously didn't read the OP.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 11:37:43 »

Lies lol

You're a liar!!! :P

Offline Burz

• maybe get a blister on yo' little finger...
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 00:51:25 »
I don't think there's anything you can do (short of rebuilding the switch) to make an MX switch really quiet.

Your choices are Matias quiet keyboard, Topre (which are not loud but also have silent options, but big bucks), or one of the nicer rubber dome or scissor switch boards like a Thinkpad USB.

The sound comparison gadget on this page will give you an idea of how quiet a Matias board is vs MX switches.
http://www.matias.ca/quietpro/pc/
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 May 2013, 00:58:18 by Burz »
Matias Mini QuietPro  \\ Dell AT101W - Black ALPS  \\ SIIG MiniTouch x2 White XM - Monterey  \\ Colemak layout.