Author Topic: Cooler Master Storm Trigger Or Something Else?  (Read 798 times)

Offline apwhitelaw

Cooler Master Storm Trigger Or Something Else?
« on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 21:57:05 »
I have never owned a mechanical keyboard, but I built a new computer and looked for a keyboard to go with it. When I found out that mechanical ones are much better quality and last longer, I looked into one.

I need something that will be okay for gaming, but I believe I would like the cherry mx blues. Now I found a nice keyboard, the Cooler Master Storm Trigger, which I like because I can have the blue switches, and it has backlights.

Then I found out that at CES they showed off a new version with green switches and a green backlight. I was totally into that, although it has not been released yet. And they are no longer offering the original Storm Trigger with green switches. I emailed CM to see when it would be available, and now they are telling me that it is no longer in the works and that it has been canceled. I don't really understand why that is, but oh well.

Should I just go with the Storm Trigger with blue switches, or is there another keyboard that is good for gaming?

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2013, 22:05:08 by apwhitelaw »

Offline TwistedMentat

• It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Re: Cooler Master Storm Trigger Or Something Else?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 May 2013, 16:24:28 »
Green switches are terrible for gaming.  Especially for FPS games where you are holding down the "W" key for extended periods.

When I bought my Ducky keyboard with MX Greens, I wasn't really doing any gaming.  A couple months later, I started blowing the dust off my old games and discovered that Greens are pretty much only good for typing, so I wound up going back to my Logitech G110 and only plugged in the Ducky when I had to bang out a quantity of text.  MX Greens are true finger candy for a touch typist; the only thing better is probably buckling springs.  I really enjoy both the tactility and the clicky sounds while typing (but only while typing!).  Some people, however, find them too stiff, and thus prefer Blues, but I type with a heavy hand -- when I tried MX Browns, it seemed like I was tapping my fingers against a concrete slab because they are so light I would bottom out hard on every keystroke.  The minimal tactile feedback of the Browns came across as gritty.  I still don't really like them.

The resistance produced by the springs in Green switches increases dramatically after actuation, cushioning the end of the down-stroke and helping to prevent a jarring impact while still producing a satisfying "CLACK" when you do hit bottom (at least with PBT key caps; I have not tried them with ABS).  Consequently, the force they produce when held down makes the fingers tired while gaming.  Cooler Master probably received a great deal of feedback along that line, and thus discontinued the use of MX Green switches in their keyboards marketed for gaming.  Also, I should note that I found the clicking quite distracting when gaming, but that is a personal preference -- some people love the auditory feedback.

I don't have nearly as much experience with mechanical keyboards as the Geekhack veterans, but if you do a lot of gaming my advice is to get a keyboard with a linear switch or wait for CoolerMaster or WASD Keyboards to release one with MX Clears if you think you'd prefer having that "bump."  I've recently experienced MX Clears, and they are good for both gaming and typing, but I can see why so many people replace the default springs with lighter ones (Ergo Clears).  I predict that my preference in linear switches would be for MX Blacks, due to the higher actuation force, though I am curious about the "Cloud of Boobs" that has captured the hearts of so many GH'ers (lubricated MX Red switches dampened with soft O-rings).  Basically, you have to try them all to know for sure what you really like.  Figuring out which switch is best for your computing needs as well as your enjoyment is going to be an expensive and lengthy project.  You'll buy several keyboards, sell or trade a few, and probably keep at least two.

So, to paraphrase the folks at Head-Fi.org, "Welcome to GeekHack.  Sorry about your wallet!"