Author Topic: Custom MX stems  (Read 1407 times)

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
Custom MX stems
« on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 16:37:38 »
So, having recently modded some blues to jailhouses, even without having actually tried them on a keyboard yet, I feel like it is an absolutely perfect switch for me.
However, one of the problems with it, is the lack of consistency, some will likely have a slight click, others won't, some differentiate in how they bottom out (spring sitting next to wire, although this is highly dependant on the method used for the modding).

So I figured, why not try some designs on custom stems, see if anything works, and perhaps it might even be worthwhile. There could be made different designs based on these, of course.

I'm looking for some precise dimensions before I can try and come up with a working design, but I don't think I have a micrometer lying around anywhere to take these measurements myself. I'll see if I can find anything tomorrow, but if someone has the ability to take some good measurements of a base stem, and preferably with some numbers on the actuation part as well (I'm thinking getting the difference on a clear and a brown here), that would give a good idea of where to start as well.

I was thinking of prototyping them at Shapeways, they wouldn't be too small for them to handle, but I suppose there might be some tolerance issues? Either way, if someone has more insight/suggestions on this part, they are obviously welcome.
I like cats.

Offline graboy

Re: Custom MX stems
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 22:21:40 »
From my understanding, 3D printers are not precice enough for an even surface on all parts of the stem that come in contact with the housing to be created. Let me propose an idea i've had regarding jailhouse blues, to keep the disscussion going: It would not only be a more consistent feel, but also take less time to install, if we could create a small plastic insert (using a service like shapeways) that would fit between the two parts of a blue stem. Hopefully someone would be intrested in exploring this idea more, I think it's totally feasable. Sorry, I didn't mean to thread-jack on the first post ;)