Author Topic: Poker II Mini Overview  (Read 20349 times)

Offline eyesmiles

Poker II Mini Overview
« on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 17:38:28 »
Hi all.

I received my Poker II today from qtan, so I felt I should do a mini overview.  I've seen a few unboxings, but I noticed none have even unscrewed the plate/pcb from the case. Where's the fun in something if you're not going to attempt to take it apart? Anyhoo ... here we go.

The box is simple. No real details aside from Poker II, a Club icon, which you can somewhat see on the bottom right corner of the picture, which was brown (probably to indicate Cherry MX Brown Swtiches), and sticker with the website www.likeyboard.com on the bottom of the box.

More

The contents which include blank RGB modifiers, a keycap puller, and a USB to mini USB cable (not pictured).

More

View of the thick PBT keycaps.

More

I think I saw somewhere that WFD was looking for a shot of the PCB. If you haven't received your Poker from qtan yet WFD, this is for you.

More

A close up of the PCB near the dipswitch.

More

Some images of the plate.

First Impressions

I ordered a board with MX browns from qtan. Since I recently acquired a Pure Limited w/ MX blues, I thought browns would be a decent option. Each board I've tried with browns, I've always felt that they were itchy reds. My cousin came by to check out the Poker II and I told him to bring his Ducky YotD with browns. The browns that were on the YotD were much smoother. I know both the Poker II and Ducky are plate mount, so they should similiar ... right? The browns that are on the Poker felt really mushy (not because of the Cherry stabs); like doing a lube job with globs of lithium grease where you don't wipe the excess and you just reassemble the switch. The amount of force to actuate each key reminded me of stock clears. So at the moment, I'm a bit baffled. Perhaps over time, they'll "loosen" up. The function layer of the Poker II isn't all that difficult to learn. After playing with my Pure, working the Poker II isn't that bad.

Case Swapping

Since I took apart the Poker, I thought perhaps I should swap it into the aluminum case that came with the Pure. The holes on the PCB line up exactly with the Pure case, even down to the screw hole in between the G and H keys. The plate for the Poker II is the same size as the PCB. As nice as it is to see things flush, it becomes a problem for the Pure case. Since the Poker II uses plate mount Cherry stabs, the stabs for the ends of the spacebar stick out a few milimeters (You can see them in the first picture of the PCB). That prevents the plate/PCB from sliding into the case properly. Since the plate/PCB are already a tight fit, there would be no way to force it into the case withouth damaging the PCB. I've thought about sanding down or clipping a bit of the stabilizer ends to see if I can get it to slide in easier. I've also thought about sanding down areas of the Pure case to allow some room because it looks like the plate is an exact fit for the inside dimensions of the case with no space to shift anything. In the end, I left it alone. Later on though ... I will make it fit somehow!

Other Thoughts

To sate my 60% desires, I decided to check out the Pure and the new Poker II. While the Poker II isn't a GH60, it works for now. I can take it to work instead of my board with panda clears. I have mixed feelings regarding the MX browns that come with the Poker II. I enjoy my panda clears; I can even say I like stock clears. I enjoy slightly heavier switches. So while my mind keeps thinking itchy-reds ... which are light ... typing on these browns contradicts what I "should" be feeling. I've gone back and forth with my cousin's Ducky and I'm still baffled. The browns on the Ducky have that distinct sound when bottoming out. The browns on the Poker sound muffled.

Hopefully when others received their Poker II with browns, they can add whether or not they're experiencing the same thing I am.

A shot of the Poker II with GMK orange on charcoal. Hack Orange CC.  (I know ... jil_jil did a picture something similar) :D
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 May 2013, 17:59:38 by eyesmiles »

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Poker II Mini Overview
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 07:59:56 »
Great mini-review and great looking board at the end!

Now that I think of it the browns on my Poker do seem a bit heavy compared to the Race I once owned with blues. I am hoping whites become more popular, but as it stands it looks like I might also be in for a lube job at one point or another. I've heard that it makes a world of difference.

I do have one question though, what exactly is the kind of plate used? I've seen up-close glimpses of this said plate, but never a full picture of it. How would you compare this plated board compared to a non-plated board like the Pure?

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 09:29:17 »
Nice review.
I wonder if the same guy who designed the First Poker and Tex is designing the POKER 2.
That oversight on the spacebar stabilizer is regrettable.

Chinese message boards has also commented that the MX blues are overly mushy.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 10:55:22 »
I do have one question though, what exactly is the kind of plate used? I've seen up-close glimpses of this said plate, but never a full picture of it. How would you compare this plated board compared to a non-plated board like the Pure?

One of the things I forgot to do was take a picture of the Poker II without keycaps so people can get a view of the plate. It's currently foggy as hell where I live so lighting isn't all that. I'll try to take some shots later.

The Poker II looks to have a painted steel plate. I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem like it'd be aluminum.

Since the Pure has that additional screw point in the middle, I find it pretty solid. To be honest, the Pure is the first board I have ever ownd without a plate. If I were to compare the MX blues on the Pure with an Majestouch 1 with Blues I once owned, the difference is quite minimal (it doesn't have that "ping" that Filcos tend to have either). Since there isn't much flex on the PCB with the Pure, the feeling is actually quite nice. I never had the pleasure of owning the first Poker or any other boards that were PCB mount, so it'd be difficult to make a solid assessment.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:00:15 »
Wow, the quality of the PCB looks way better than v1. If I liked MX, I would probably have to pick one up.

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:38:50 »

Show Image

A close up of the PCB near the dipswitch.

This is concerning. Looks like the LED holes are presoldered. Maybe they're trying to expedite the installation of LEDs? I feel like that would slow me down more than anything though.

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 11:42:31 »
i dont think those are leds...only the abs came with them.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:22:09 »
You misunderstand me. The 2 dots of solder are where the legs of the LED would go. You can add in LEDs if you desire.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:25:09 »
Why would they solder in empty holes? Is there a diode or jumper in the switch if there aren't LEDs?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:41:48 »
They probably did this because this is a mass-production keyboard with an LED version in the works. That way they can just make a mass amount of single model PCBs while offering two different model keyboards.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:45:01 »
Why would they solder in empty holes? Is there a diode or jumper in the switch if there aren't LEDs?

There are no diodes in the switch. They positioned the switches like they would in Duckys to allow LEDs on the top position of the switch, but they soldered/covered the holes where the LEDs would be. I was wondering why it was like that myself.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 12:46:37 »
I think what lastpilot said makes sense. It might cost them a bit of money in solder to fill the holes, but it probably makes the process faster by not having to make any changes.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 13:04:33 »
i think i will be picking one of these up before my gh60s arrive..you can always use another 60%!
thinking of getting blues and my first clicky switches

the hack orange + Charcoal set looks pretty sick together

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 16:44:33 »
Thank you for such a great mini review of this board.  In your opinion, would this be a good first 60% keyboard? I'm really itching to pick one up once they become available MKB. 
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 17:08:15 »
Thank you for such a great mini review of this board.  In your opinion, would this be a good first 60% keyboard? I'm really itching to pick one up once they become available MKB. 

I would say it's a really good board to get a gist of the 60% layout. You get thick PBT keycaps right off the bat, it's plate mounted, and the ansi layout works for many of the keycap sets that places sell and groupbuys here offer.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 17:10:29 »

I would say it's a really good board to get a gist of the 60% layout. You get thick PBT keycaps right off the bat, it's plate mounted, and the ansi layout works for many of the keycap sets that places sell and groupbuys here offer.
Thank you so much! I'm excited to give it a try!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 18:05:12 »
can't wait for mine with blues. ;)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline ekirayuki

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 15 June 2013, 09:37:06 »
what color is the led on the capslock and space?
Leopold FC700R
Poker 2

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 18:36:45 »
Don't think they have colours on them unless he mod them with leds.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline mr626

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 20:17:49 »
Thanks for this. I have ordered the exact same combo from qtan so it was interesting to read about your experience with the browns. Will have to post my experience with mine when it arrives

Offline mr626

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 19:17:09 »
So  my Poker 2 came finally (qtan's shipping took nearly a month for some reason- not his fault though). One of the rgb modifier keys was broken too  :( I wasn't planning on using it anyway so

The keyboard itself is great. I'm still getting used to the arrow key location on WASD (even though its been a while since I owned a Poker I, I still find myself reaching for the arrows in the 'old' location).

The board feels very solid, yet still light and compact. Big improvement on the Poker I. The USB plug socket on the back seems more sturdy too (I remember on the Poker I this wasn't finished particularly well)

The font...not a fan. And that spacebar...hmm. No matter, have a set of Vortex keycaps on the way.

My board, like the OPs one, has cherry browns. It could just be that I'm used to buckling springs (which I use and work and at home) but the browns feel very light to me. I've had browns on one other board in the past (Choc Mini w/PBT) and these feel lighter/smoother than that board.

As a test, I lent the Poker II to a friend of mine with no experience using mechanicals for a night of coding mayhem. He enjoyed using it and he mentioned in particular that he liked the tactile bump. Make of that what you will.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 15:53:57 »
1. Does the Poker II have extensible feet on the bottom of the case? If so, are the feet rubberized for a good grip on the desk?

2. Any idea if the Poker II would fit into the aluminum-topped case that comes with the Tek Beetle?

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 15:55:19 »
1. Does the Poker II have extensible feet on the bottom of the case? If so, are the feet rubberized for a good grip on the desk?

2. Any idea if the Poker II would fit into the aluminum-topped case that comes with the Tek Beetle?

No feet - the rubber grips keep it in place, but they are not sticky.

Not sure about the Tek Beetle...

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 31 July 2013, 03:37:59 »
Spacebar poker II is Flex?
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline listokei

• ListoKei Blog
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 07:58:09 »
Thank you for detail review!
Good!!!  ;D

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 10:46:36 »

No feet - the rubber grips keep it in place, but they are not sticky.

Not sure about the Tek Beetle...

I now have a Poker II and a Tex Beetle. I added some self-adhesive vinyl bumpers (3/4-inch wide by 5/16-inch tall) to the Poker to elevate the back of the keyboard. The slope is now equal to that of my IBM SSK, Leopold FC660M, and Filco MJ2 TKL, which makes it comfortable for typing.

The Tex Beetle has extensible feet, but they do not raise the board quite enough for me, so I attached 3/4-inch-long pieces of clear plastic tubing (5/16-inch OD) to the feet by slitting the tubing along one side. Now it elevates to about the same angle as my other keyboards.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 10:49:32 »
Spacebar poker II is Flex?

If you are asking if the spacebar flexes when pressed, I have not noticed this with my Poker II and definitely not with the Tex Beetle, which has a shorter spacebar. I like the spacebar on the Beetle better than that on any other keyboard I have tried. I think that the short length and correspondingly short stabilizer reduces or eliminates the rattle that plagues longer spacebars.

Offline Inklebert

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 22:06:26 »
Thanks for the review, I think this is gonna be my next keyboard.
soon....I just shelled out 140 for one a few days ago..

Offline tbc

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 00:13:57 »
thank you for your review.

I finally took a closer read of it and you mention that the browns feel like clears.  would you say they felt exactly like clears?  or were they similiar to clears but distinctively worse?  or more simply, would someone looking for a mx clear keyboard feel happy using the browns?

can anybody else confirm the feeling?  was this just a single defective unit?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline eyesmiles

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 16:07:49 »
I finally took a closer read of it and you mention that the browns feel like clears.  would you say they felt exactly like clears?  or were they similiar to clears but distinctively worse?  or more simply, would someone looking for a mx clear keyboard feel happy using the browns?

can anybody else confirm the feeling?  was this just a single defective unit?

The difference between Clears and Browns is pretty distinct, especially the tactile bump. My first mechanical keyboard had Clears. The Browns that were on the Poker just had some odd weight to it like I mentioned in the review, a crap lube job but without cleaning up the excess so it makes it feel mushy.

The unit itself isn't defective. Perhaps it's just an odd batch of Browns that came with the Poker. I used the Poker for about a week to see if they would break in. They did a bit, but my dislike of Browns prevented any further use.

Offline AndyCapets

• I have a French ANSI keyboard, kiss me now.
    • YouTube!
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 18:35:41 »
Thanks for that overview, I will certainly pick one up later this year!
BTW, dayum these keycaps are fine.
I don't I like broccoli.

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 20:43:35 »
Those orange legend key-caps look so good...
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline dporter

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 23:17:26 »
Can someone, anyone tell me if the poker case has enough room for a bluetooth device, like: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=43173.0

???

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 25 November 2013, 23:28:51 »
Wow great review and nice photo, I saved it for my collection! Love the orange font and HO CC :D

Offline ioXt_2

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 19:24:25 »
Thanks for the review! I ordered the red switches and can't wait to get them.

Offline zed

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 04 February 2014, 09:44:33 »
Great review! I've been thinking about getting one of these as a Daily Driver, but I still haven't made up my mind yet.

Offline Pinder

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 10:29:08 »
Hey nice overview! i just orderd a poker, green led with blue switches. I dont see the point of getting the pbs cap version because im going to replace the keys anyway..

Does the standerd ISO layout spacebar fit the poker?
65g zealios ergodox infinity

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 12:24:43 »
Wow i didn't know poker 2 was plate mounted!

Now I wish i had gotten one :(