Author Topic: Filco blank keycaps vs stock stealth, they feel different?  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Bratman

Filco blank keycaps vs stock stealth, they feel different?
« on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 09:05:39 »
I bought a Filco Cherry Red a year ago and I've just bought another Filco Cherry Red for my girlfriend used with almost the same batch number.

When I bought the first Filco keyboard I replaced the keycaps with Filco blanks straight away and sold the stock front printed keycaps.

Now this newly acquired Filco keyboard has the stock front printed keycaps and to me they feel better than the blank keycaps! I've also noticed when putting the blank keycaps on the switches, it's stiff and you have to push down hard. Whereas with the front printed keycaps only a slight push is required and it CLICKS in place? I've tested this with both keyboards and it is the keycaps.

I wish I never sold my front printed keycaps, I paid £30 for the blanks too :( Blank keys is cool and all but they aren't as good quality and it was bliss knowing where the numbers are and certain keys I forget.

Offline ShivaYash

Re: Filco blank keycaps vs stock stealth, they feel different?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 18:01:10 »
Hello

What do you mean they 'feel better'? In what way? Can you give some more details.

From my limited knowledge, I would not think OEM keycaps would make any difference... especially with the same key switch.
IBM Model M SSK, HHKB Pro 2 BT and Realforce 104U HiPro

Offline Bratman

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 05:14:51 »
The blank keycaps just feel lighter, maybe it's in my head because one has letters so I think it feels different.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 May 2013, 05:37:11 by Bratman »

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 11:39:14 »
I don't think side printed/stealth caps really feel that much different from one another unless you are comparing ABS vs PBT versions of them.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Bratman

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 10:19:58 »
These ones do, it's the feel of pushing them in that feels different and they sound slightly different too.