Author Topic: Hullo  (Read 1765 times)

Offline 5volts

Hullo
« on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 13:31:02 »
Hi all,

I'm a computer programmer at work, and an electronics hobbyist by night.

I love keyboards.

I first learned of custom keycaps when browsing through American Science Surplus: http://www.sciplus.com/p/PANIC-BUTTON_41819
It took me a few more years to figure out there were communities for that sort of thing, and here I am!

Currently I have a MS Ergonomic keyboard, but I'm angling for a mechanical keyboard as soon as the budget allows.

I hope to make some 1 button USB keyboards using the Digistump and Cherry MX switches. More on that later.

Cheers,
5volts

Offline Dgsbllx

Re: Hullo
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 May 2013, 13:59:08 »
Welcome to the forum. Already got a project idea on the go - nice.
Get to work on that budget!

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 06:50:08 »
Yesssss! Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes....save that money for a mechanical board. It may be a repeating process where you are poor and happy lol.

Lol, in all seriousness though, I would probably try to save up for something nice so that you don't end up with multiple boards, but just one really great one. Anyway that's what I'm trying to do...but there is so much temptation out there!

Offline habitualapse

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 01:13:33 »
Welcome to GH. I think most of go through quite a few before settling down. Hope your wallet is resilient.
Filco MJ2 Ninja Brown TKL

Offline Bratman

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 15:58:11 »
Go 2nd hand until you find the best switch type for you.

Offline 5volts

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 14:41:04 »
Yesssss! Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes....save that money for a mechanical board. It may be a repeating process where you are poor and happy lol.

Show Image

Lol, in all seriousness though, I would probably try to save up for something nice so that you don't end up with multiple boards, but just one really great one. Anyway that's what I'm trying to do...but there is so much temptation out there!
Yeah, unfortunately I'm a college student, so mech keyboards are pretty low on the priority list right now.

I'm looking for some advice on what to buy as a good intro board.

I definitely want MX Blue or Brown switches; I don't game too much, and backlighting is too "bling" for me.

You can pry my ten-key out of my cold, dead, hands.

I've been leaning towards the Ducky Zero or Rosewill.
I've also been thinking about the WASDkeyboard and the KBTalking, though both are a little above what I'd prefer to spend.

To be entirely honest, I'm more excited about keycaps than the actual boards themselves.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 June 2013, 15:16:13 by 5volts »

Offline POFFINGTON

• Ninja keys...everytime
    • Polycount
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 02:31:07 »
Keycool 84 (Browns) | Ducky DK9008G2 Pro (Hybrid) | KBC Poker (Black)