Author Topic: Plastic type and dust levels  (Read 1512 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Plastic type and dust levels
« on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 18:05:22 »
Been running some 'tests' and have discovered that POM collects less dust than PBT. PBT subsequently collects less dust than ABS, which seems to be a magnet for it. Basically I left 3 keyboards out in the same space for 2 days at a time unused, all with black keycaps on them. After 6 days (or 3 tests) the results have been the same in all three cases. ABS is by far the worst for dust collection (best?) as the difference in levels are noticeable compared to POM and ABS. I found especially that backlit caps seem to collect more dust than regular ABS, but that could be a fluke/my imagination.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Plastic type and dust levels
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 18:23:29 »
Curious were the the boards plugged in during the test? Wonder if that would make a difference?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 18:37:38 »
Curious were the the boards plugged in during the test? Wonder if that would make a difference?

I did with the backlit one (Ducky YotD) on the last test, which led to it collecting even more dust. So backlit + ABS seemed to be the worst for attracting dust particles. The other boards were a Das (POM) and a Filco with a Vortex PBT set on it.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 June 2013, 19:05:55 »
The reason I ask is we have started leaving our plotter on all the time and its collecting an awful lot more dust than when we left it off.