Author Topic: Safety of Cleaning with Water and cleaning products  (Read 3755 times)

Offline fateswarm

Safety of Cleaning with Water and cleaning products
« on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 05:01:46 »
I'm thinking of trying different lubes on a board with leds without disoldering the switches, from the top.

But can I in the process of doing that just stick the board under water and wash off the old oils?

Can I use common kitchen soap?

Is it safe?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: Safety of Cleaning with Water and cleaning products
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 05:09:52 »
How are you going to lube without desoldering?

And if you're going to clean lube off, it's very tedious. Isopropyl alcohol works much better than soap for oil, and it also dries much faster than water.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 06:19:16 »
Obvious troll is obviuos.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 06:58:46 »
Car wash!, just tape it to the roof! FTW!

Just get a topre board and then you won't have to fool with it.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 13:25:26 »
Obvious troll is obviuos.
What?

Can you describe what is the trolling here?

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 13:26:22 »
Just get a topre board and then you won't have to fool with it.
Can you be more off topic? It wasn't enough.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 13:28:21 »
How are you going to lube without desoldering?

And if you're going to clean lube off, it's very tedious. Isopropyl alcohol works much better than soap for oil, and it also dries much faster than water.
The switches aren't air tight. You can reach almost all areas from the top. It's just not precise and more messy. Surely you didn't mean it's impossible.

Thanks for the info on alcohol. It sounds right. Though a bit costly because if they are soldered on it might need tons of it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 13:37:27 »
The switches aren't air tight. You can reach almost all areas from the top. It's just not precise and more messy. Surely you didn't mean it's impossible.

Thanks for the info on alcohol. It sounds right. Though a bit costly because if they are soldered on it might need tons of it.

The lube probably won't reach the areas that need to be lubed. In the "Making stuff together" subforum, there's a guide on how to lube Cherry MX switches. And there's pictures as to where the lube should be applied to. Also, if you just flood the chamber, it isn't airtight like you said, and the lube could get out of the switch and get onto the PCB.

Also the lube that ppl like to put on the switches is the same as the lube on the springs. I'm not sure you will get the same results if you just flood the chamber with one type of lube.

Finally, I think you need to calm down a little. There's no need to attack people in every thread just because some people have an opinion different from yours or say something silly, doesn't mean you need to jump down throats and attack.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 13:44:40 »

The lube probably won't reach the areas that need to be lubed. In the "Making stuff together" subforum, there's a guide on how to lube Cherry MX switches. And there's pictures as to where the lube should be applied to. Also, if you just flood the chamber, it isn't airtight like you said, and the lube could get out of the switch and get onto the PCB.

Also the lube that ppl like to put on the switches is the same as the lube on the springs. I'm not sure you will get the same results if you just flood the chamber with one type of lube.

Finally, I think you need to calm down a little. There's no need to attack people in every thread just because some people have an opinion different from yours or say something silly, doesn't mean you need to jump down throats and attack.
What? I hoped you weren't part of a circlejerk here. I made an honest question and I was immediately labeled a troll on the first replies and you have the nerve to say I jumped on it? You are at least a joker on this.

Concerning the subject, I realize the spring is hard to reach with spam, but the rest aren't. I'm not sure if oils eventually reach the spring with spam.

By the way, I assumed circuits are safe with some synthetic oil on them. Are they not? I don't know, I'm asking.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 June 2013, 13:47:07 by fateswarm »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 13:56:38 »
What? I hoped you weren't part of a circlejerk here. I made an honest question and I was immediately labeled a troll on the first replies and you have the nerve to say I jumped on it? You are at least a joker on this.

Concerning the subject, I realize the spring is hard to reach with spam, but the rest aren't. I'm not sure if oils eventually reach the spring with spam.

By the way, I assumed circuits are safe with some synthetic oil on them. Are they not? I don't know, I'm asking.

There are a lot of Topre vs MX threads that degenerate like your thread did. I think a lot of ppl thought you were trolling and that's a bit unfortunate if you were trying to get an answer. I don't have nerve, I'm just saying you should just relax. You probably shouldn't call me a joker either since I've very politely given my opinion in many of your threads.

You could probably reach the spring with the lube but you'd risk spilling out the lube. And I don't think lubricants or any other fluids should be in contact with the PCB.

Offline fateswarm

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 14:25:40 »
I was talking about this thread('s replies). Anyway.

Hrm ok. I'm mostly interested if it's safe to use water+soap (especially +soap, I heard water is safe) and then let it dry since a more potent product might be needed in large quantities. But anyway, I'll research it on general electronics, surely it's not a keyboard thing only.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 June 2013, 20:15:02 »
I was talking about this thread('s replies). Anyway.

Hrm ok. I'm mostly interested if it's safe to use water+soap (especially +soap, I heard water is safe) and then let it dry since a more potent product might be needed in large quantities. But anyway, I'll research it on general electronics, surely it's not a keyboard thing only.

I know a guy on another forum that works at a place building circuit boards for various products and he said after assembly they wash the board in soapy water.

And sorry i didn't realise you were serious.