Author Topic: Original Logitech G9 - What mousepad?  (Read 4492 times)

Offline SOROBORU88

Original Logitech G9 - What mousepad?
« on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 02:55:14 »
Greetings typists :)
I've found my long forgotten G9 from 2009. Recently, I tried to figure out, what new mouse to buy, but I've decided to give my G9 a last chance.

1. Is this a good mouse? Is it worth keeping and using? Back then I had problem to set and use this mouse, but I only had 13" Dell Vostro notebook and now I have 16" Toshiba notebook, but I'm going to use a desktop now with at least 22" screen.

2. What mousepad should I use? I bought a steelseries qck mini and I still use it. But it would be propriate to buy a new one which fits a laser sensor of G9.

3. Thank you for your answers. You all are always a great help ;)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
Re: Original Logitech G9 - What mousepad?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 03:27:42 »
It uses the Avago ADNS 6090 laser sensor. I do not know as much about that particular sensor because the number of popular mice that used it are fairly limited.

One thing I know is that its max tracking / perfect control speed is lower than that of newer laser sensors, and even that of the optical sensors like the 3090. I have no idea how much though, and I doubt that many people will have tracking speed issues (skipping) on any modern mice. But it is something you can try out yourself.

It has no prediction, so you wont have to worry about that. It has negative acceleration. Earlier Avago laser sensors track noticeably better on hard surfaces, and this is true for this mouse as well. Again, you have the mouse yourself so I would just try it out. If the mouse satisfies your purpose, and you find it comfortable, you might as well stick with it. If not, then there are other options out there.

Soft mousepads, I am a fan of the Qck Heavy. I need the space for my low sensitivity, there are no graphics that can mess up tracking in some cases, and I enjoy that it is quite a bit thicker than the regular Qck, evening out the surface you are using it on. Hard mousepads I don't like so much, but the Razer Scarab/Destuctor/destructor2 had a mix of glide and control I could live with. But that is of course extremely subjective.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 June 2013, 03:40:54 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 03:45:56 »
My G9 wasn't really picky about the surface, even worked where my G400 failed (ie. a 3M DI-NOC surface).
But I guess it's always a good idea to check reviews (in regards to mouse compatibility) for pads you wanna buy.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 04:01:29 »
OK, the main question was, if it is or it is not a particularly bad mouse. And GF's answer says it's pretty much OK mouse :) I've used for years on SS qck mini and it was ok, problem was that I've been using a high tech mouse on small screen.

I like cloth surfaces better than hard surfaces (table) and I use the mouse only on browsing and casual gaming. I wouldn't mind another SS surface. But   I guess it should be at least 4 mm thick, because my 2 mm qck mini started to wrinkle upwards :D

I use a Logitech M510 wireless mouse and I can tell you precisle when the mouse turns into **** because of the offcenter sensor. When I turn mouse left, it starts to slow down and the sense of crusor movement becomes twisted... So I say it's about time to travel back in time to upgrade my rodent ;)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 05:04:13 »
You say you use the mouse only for casual gaming at most, so unless you play with low sensitivity the G9 won't give you any trouble as long as the off-center sensor doesn't cause any issues for you. Most laser sensors work best on hard pads, preferably dark ones, but for casual gaming I wouldn't say the marginal increase in precision is worth the sacrifice in comfort if you prefer soft pads. And if you do play FPS; at a casual level it's way more about player skill than precision, so chances are you'll hit the limits of your own skills before you hit the limits of what the mouse can take. Only at low sens do you run the risk of maxing out what your mouse can do, although if you're using the Mini I doubt you play low sens.

If you want a thicker pad and have room for something bigger than the mini, check out the QcK Mass. That's pretty fat and comfy. If you want even bigger you can get the Heavy, which is same thickness I believe, only larger.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 06:05:59 »
OK, I've heard, that peoply often use laser and hard surfaces. I don't mind the concept, but I think it's overpriced here in my country. But if you would recommend a hard surface for G9, what would it be?

I believe I would get comfy with anything. I just want the best value for my money.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 06:26:15 »
OK, I've heard, that peoply often use laser and hard surfaces. I don't mind the concept, but I think it's overpriced here in my country. But if you would recommend a hard surface for G9, what would it be?

I believe I would get comfy with anything. I just want the best value for my money.

As I've said, for casual gaming the benefit of a hard pad over a soft pad is marginal at best, but if you would still like to be able to know that you get the most out of your mouse+pad combo then by all means.

I haven't tried all that many hard pads, the SS HD pads feel nice from the little time I've gotten with them, although they're far slicker than cloth, so if you like the controlled glide on cloth then that might not be for you.

So far my favourite hard pad is the SS Experience I-2, perhaps better known as IceMat. It's made of matte glass and is fairly pricey compared to most other pads, but it is probably the best mousepad I have ever used, I've used mine with all kinds of laser mice with no issue other than having to adjust the lift-off distance on my Sensei.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 06:40:10 »
Well, if the hardpads are more slippery then it's not for me :D Qck mass looks perfect. Its all black and I've already had a SS pad, so I trust them.

Just for my own information, how often should one buy new cloth mousepad?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 06:48:46 »
Well, if the hardpads are more slippery then it's not for me :D Qck mass looks perfect. Its all black and I've already had a SS pad, so I trust them.

Just for my own information, how often should one buy new cloth mousepad?

It should probably last you for quite some time, although with SS pads you might get frayed edges if you use it a lot, if you want to avoid that you could have a look at some of the Razer pads as several of their cloth pads come with stitched edges like this that prevent fraying.

Also, the I-2 pad is not as slippery as some of the hard plastic pads, so if you have the chance to try one I would recommend that you do so, although it's not worth buying one just to see if you like it or not as it is pricey.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 07:20:48 »
Stitched edges are nice touch, but it's not the problem of my qck mini :) The problem is, it started to wrinkle on the spot where I usually rest my hand.

And I can't find out, if local sellers offer the stitched razer mousepads - photos are crappy and none other information. Therefore I would probably go with qck mass.

I don't even have a chance to try some mousepads.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 07:26:15 »
Stitched edges are nice touch, but it's not the problem of my qck mini :) The problem is, it started to wrinkle on the spot where I usually rest my hand.

And I can't find out, if local sellers offer the stitched razer mousepads - photos are crappy and none other information. Therefore I would probably go with qck mass.

I don't even have a chance to try some mousepads.

I'm not sure how long you've had your Mini, but my brother had one before he got a 4HD and at the end the top later of the Mini was barely attached to the pad, my girlfriend also has a mini that sees lighter use but even that is starting to come off around the edges.
Not that big of a problem with the thicker ones, though, I've used my Heavy extensively and there is only minor fraying around the edges, but it is getting a bit worn in the mousing area.

I would still recommend taking a look at Razer pads, the current range of Goliathus pads all have stitched edges, and the Control edition should give you the glide you want.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:08:43 »
My local seller sells these: http://www.czc.cz/razer-goliathus-omega-mousepad-control-fragged-edition/90930/produkt?q-category-id=chop22f428h6v8vp29cerbu0c1&q-c-0-producer=sfnocq0tfq2erhbah2tf5nevvrc

Is this the stitched generation you are talking about?

My qck mini looks like this after 4 years of nonstop using, sometimes 12 hours a day during studying periods.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:24:36 »
That Goliathus doesn't look like one of the stitched ones from what I can tell, the one in the video certainly isn't.
I had a look at all the Goliathus pads the site offered, they all use pictures of the generation without stitching, but since those are old I don't think they're still available, so it could be that they are the newer pads with stitching but with outdated pictures.
Could be worth a shot sending them an e-mail asking them to confirm what generation the pads are. If they can't it's not worth the risk and getting a QcK Mass would be a better alternative. It will fray slightly around the edges and wear out just like the one in your picture, but it won't curl at the edges.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:33:58 »
That is the problem with local sellers, their information are not up to date. I can ask them, but still... They are able to tell you apples but they will send you nuts... Getting mass is more secure.

I don't see any fray on my qck mini. Only the wrinkly center pisses me off. And the fact I have to use it in the way that the logo isn't in the right position (I have a small table at my studying place).

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:43:17 »
If you have a small table just keep in mind that the Mass is probably about twice the size of the Mini.

Also, there's no real fraying to speak of, but from what I can see on the picture, and on my own Heavy, the edges do get somewhat more irregular with use, but it's such a small amount that it shouldn't be an issue.

Offline SOROBORU88

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 June 2013, 08:48:32 »
I'm going to use desktop PC on the new table, so there is going to be enough space ;) I asked the seller about razers, but I don't expect they would give me a proper answer.